UNE, NYCOM, TUCOM, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TFD1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that UNE, NYCOM, and PCOM are a step above TUCOM reputation wise; and that NYCOM and PCOM have excellent opportunities in the 3rd and 4th years.
Does anyone have any input about UNE? especially when compared to the other three? I've interviewed at all and have acceptances from a couple with the others deciding shortly. I'm having a difficult time trying to separate what school is best for me. I've also been told to look at the faculty, what schools they graduated from, and then to look at the match lists as well. What sort of methods in addition to reading the catalogs would be good to get info? I'm also having a difficult time finding out about the negatives of each school. People don't seem to want to dig out dirt on their own school, yet there are definitely negatives about each own.
Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I have learned:

TUCOM: do you really want to be on an island that was formerly a military base? I have been told that the facilities aren't that great and students really aren't that happy. But, I admit that I only spoke with a small handful of people about the school.

NYCOM: I know people at this school and they enjoy it. But, they told me that they have little clinical exposure, as opposed to many other DO schools. I have been told that the school has more of an MD approach than DO. Facilities are top notch and it's a good location. Yes, the 3rd and 4th year opportunities are great, once you get through the 1st two years, which aren't as great.

PCOM - I will be going here, so I may be biased. The school has a wonderful reputation and history (even with the closure of their hospital). It is in the middle of a great city which has everything from amazing hospitals, a great social scene (which we will all love when we find the time for it), and cheesesteaks! The students all seem extremely happy. One student told me that they are happier than they ever thought they would be in med school.

UNECOM - this was one of the schools that I had to decided between, too. It is a great school. It was ranked in the top 50 of Primary Care programs. The facilities are top notch. But, it is in the boonies (which are beautiful). I am a New Englander, but I am used to the big city, so I chose to stick with what I am familiar with. The students are very happy there and are very close knit.

Overall, assess what you want out of where you go. Do you care about location? Do you care about a specific department or program (ie, OMM, Pharmacology, Pathology...)? Honestly, no matter where you go you will learn what you need to know. Any school will be what you make of it. If you felt more comfortable at one school than another, just go with your gut. Remember when we were kids and our teachers told us to go with our first instinct, it's usually right.

All of the schools are good schools. You are right that there are things wrong at each of them, so why compare the bad stuff? There are ways to get around it all, or at least through it.

I hope that something here will help you. Good Luck no matter what you choose
smile.gif

BostonGirl