Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UNE residencies

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by NMH2001, Nov 23, 2002.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma
    10+ Year Member

I am planning on attending UNE next fall and recieved the match list for the past two graduating classes. I know that UNE's emphasis is on primary care, but is it extremely hard to obtain a residency in say ER or surgury?

Any imput from current students would be great!
    Thanks!:p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma
    10+ Year Member

4. PTjay

PTjay Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know nothing about the residencies available. I have heard that a lot of surgery is taught here as the school for some reason is able to access lots of cadavers, so based on that I would imagine that you could get surgery if you wanted it.

UNE will be one of my top choices when I apply. Good luck to you.

5. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

6. EJS

EJS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Our school does have an emphasis on primary care, but that doesn't impact how hard it will be for you to get a surgery or ER residency! only the teaching. We do have a surgery component to each system the second year. We also do have more access to cadavers than other schools because of the fresh tissue program where they freeze cadavers instead of embalmin them and then use them to practice suturing or intubating, etc.. These are usually more limited to surgery club memebers. I have also heard that doctors come up from boston to practice new procedures at the school on the fresh tissue specimens. What will determine your application for a surgery residency will be you! your scores, your grades, and your personality! Plus, the rumor is that getting a surgery residency in the future will be easier and easier!!