UNECOM Biochemistry Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prettywoman0172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take a biochemistry course this semester and Harvard Extension is full (spring biochem at Harvard is also online). UNECOM seems like a good option and the schools I am interested in and require it will accept it. Im looking for input from anyone who has take the course with regards to workload and grading and whether or not you feel you were able to learn the material. Ive never taken a science class online ever. I hate online classes. I just want to make sure I dont shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't that course cost over a thousand dollars or something absurd? Can you not take it a local CC or university?

There is literally nothing available for this semester. My school only offers it in the fall semester and the cc dont offer it at all :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you literally need to take it this semester to qualify for an acceptance you already have, I would wait until next semester. You have to wait for next cycle anyway, so why pay ridiculous $$$ for a class you say you won't enjoy anyways?

Doesn't that course cost over a thousand dollars or something absurd? Can you not take it a local CC or university?
Most university-level biochem courses are 4 credits, and around here, even at a public university, you're looking at about $400/credit on a per-credit basis, for a total of around $1,600 for a course. The course is fairly competitively priced. Community colleges are cheaper, but I've never seen one that offered biochemistry- it is typically a 300 or 400 level course.

I took it. It was fairly difficult, but I'd just apply for a time extension so you can space it out. As to the quality of the course, it has prepared me exceptionally well for medical school. I still refer to some of my old notes and materials from that course because they were superior to some of those presented in medical school. It is fairly clinically oriented, and doesn't give you a lot of superfluous non-medical biochem, which is nice. Just don't expect it to be easy. I also found the proctored exams kind of stressful, though I can't say why. Just the idea of someone staring at you for over an hour is kind of unnerving I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Most university-level biochem courses are 4 credits, and around here, even at a public university, you're looking at about $400/credit on a per-credit basis, for a total of around $1,600 for a course. The course is fairly competitively priced. Community colleges are cheaper, but I've never seen one that offered biochemistry- it is typically a 300 or 400 level course.

I took it. It was fairly difficult, but I'd just apply for a time extension so you can space it out. As to the quality of the course, it has prepared me exceptionally well for medical school. I still refer to some of my old notes and materials from that course because they were superior to some of those presented in medical school. It is fairly clinically oriented, and doesn't give you a lot of superfluous non-medical biochem, which is nice. Just don't expect it to be easy. I also found the proctored exams kind of stressful, though I can't say why. Just the idea of someone staring at you for over an hour is kind of unnerving I guess.

Per credit, you're right, that cost is competitive (but still absurd). I thought some schools had a flat rate for full time students though, in which case it would be cheaper to take the course with OP's school if they're full time.

Per credit, you're right, that cost is competitive (but still absurd). I thought some schools had a flat rate for full time students though, in which case it would be cheaper to take the course with OP's school if they're full time.
It isn't available though, as she's already said, so her options are pretty much UNECOM or nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
It isn't available though, as she's already said, so her options are pretty much UNECOM or nothing.

It will be in the fall if she's still full time. The only justification I can see for taking the class right now in the spring is if she needs it as a prereq for an acceptance she has already received.

It will be in the fall if she's still full time. The only justification I can see for taking the class right now in the spring is if she needs it as a prereq for an acceptance she has already received.

I graduate this semester. Will not be considered full time in the fall...I am taking the new MCAT in April or May and need the course for that. I am also applying to some grad programs for the fall. I'll likely take the UNECOM course, but was looking for input to get an idea of what I am in for.

Thanks everyone.