UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd be the first to start this thread. UNECOM is my first acceptance (and my husband's first choice for location)!

Anyone thinking of what kind of "stuff" we'll need and where to get it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeappppp congrats. I was waiting for someone to start one.

NOW.. the UNECOM 2010ers will come!!!

Congrats guys!!

It hasn't really hit me yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
Thought I'd be the first to start this thread. UNECOM is my first acceptance (and my husband's first choice for location)!

Skiis.... this ski season is going to be great!

my husband and kids have skis... but I think the snow in Maine can't be as good as the snow in Colorado. We're gonna trade mountains (and I mean 10,000 ft mountains) and thin air for ocean view. :)

Hi Wook!!!

Since I did last years... I did not want to be the thread leader again this year. It is a lot of responsibility... always bumbing.

I figure this year you can have an American (not Canadian) and since from rocky collorado it is all FINE with me. hehehehe.

I applied for US Visa / Diversity Green Card... so now I just keep my fingures crossed. Maybe this time next year, I can be an resident. That would make things so much easier with DO school and residency etc.. etc..

Hey guys congrats, from Ft. Lauderdale, hope you all enjoy this winter :laugh: Actually, I wish I was up there right now, this place is hotter than hell! Y'all have fun before school starts, and get ready to study your ass off.

Hello folks. It's nice to see a site just for our class-- I look forward to eventually meeting everyone (sorry Doc 2b--I won't be down your way any time soon).

I'm eager and excited to begin, but nervous at the same time. It seems that I've been working toward this goal for so long....it hasn't yet sunk in that I've actually passed the first big milestone.

I'm curious to learn how my future friends will be spending their next nine months: taking it easy before buckleing down or getting a head start on difficult subjects? Work/School? Travel? Any takers?

I'm getting my house ready to sell. Gotta pull down popcorn ceiling, take down wallpaper, paint, reside, recarpet... all that great stuff.

BostonDO and ShyRem Congrats on the acceptance.

If you have other interviews... good luck on those as well.

BTW... I will be doing research for the next 9 months or so. Finishing my stuff.
FUNNNN not

Wow, medical school. It almost doesn't seem possible. I have two interviews left, but UNECOM is pretty much my first choice- can't really see myself anywhere else.

Hard to believe everything will start in nine months or so. I'll be spending the time working alot, and taking biochem. Hopefully have two months or so off before classes begin.

Congratulations to everyone. :)

Hey Everyone:
I too was accepted to UNECOM and I immediately accepted the acceptance, as it is my top choice for med school (I ended up turning down 8 more interviews, and a WVSOM acceptance...). I worked up at UNECOM this past summer as a Pharm Fellow under Dr. Ed Bilsky, and I absolutely loved everything about the school--the location, facilities, people, curriculum, research, etc. So congrats to everyone else who has gotten a UNECOM acceptance...it's a great school, and I feel very honored to attend med school there, and continue my research. Post if you plan to attend...I'd like to meet my future classmates!!! So psyched about this...!!

Good luck to you all.

Regards,

Ryan.
UNECOM, Class of 2010

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
I'm getting my house ready to sell. Gotta pull down popcorn ceiling, take down wallpaper, paint, reside, recarpet... all that great stuff.

Well, I hope you get a great price....with all the work you have planned, it sounds like med school may actually provide you a chance to relax (at least physically). :laugh:

Boston, it's our goal to get rid of almost all our debt when we sell the house. Still going to have student loans, but it we're hoping to get rid of all but one credit card and still have a little bit to put down on another house. :)

Hi future (and current) UNECOMers,
I'm interviewing at UNECOM shortly, and was wondering what I can reasonably expect from the interview process. I checked out the more recent interview feedbacks on sdn, and it seems like there are two one-on-one interview sessions. Was there anything you wish you knew beforehand while going into the interview?

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to UNECOM. I'm in my first year and I absolutely love it. I'm so happy that I decided to come here.
See you later!
Re:interview..be yourself, look neat, relax, show your interest for the school.
Also, go see the seals in the marine science building (UNE has a seal rehab program).

Wow. I didn't go see the seals.. didn't even know they were there!

Be yourself. Be honest. My interview was one-on-one with a wonderful older physician who was very honest and open. Suited me well - I am too. Enjoy the day, watch out for acorns on the ground (they're like marbles).

Thanks for the info about the seals; i'll definitely check out the facility if I'm permitted to. So i guess it looks like I'll be interviewing one-on-one. Did you guys stay with a student or stayed in a hotel? How was the tour of the place?

I just had to come in here to put down my 500th post... hope everyone is doing well. Congrates those of you who have been accepted, good luck to those that will be intereviewing. I can answer questions. :)

Hey guys. First let me say congrats to all of you. UNE is a great school. So you all are going to love it I am sure. As for me, I applied to 11 different schools and then found out I wasnt going to get a strong committee letter from my school. This was because I came home early from a fellowship I won because of some major emotional stuff that was happening in my life. But I already had sent in my secondaries to UNE, Nova, and KCOM. So I figured I might as well try to use individual letters and give it a go. Well they just got sent in this past Monday and now I play the waiting game. I know a few current students at UNE now and they love it. So I am really hoping for the best and wishing on a star. Congrats everyone and hopefully I will join you as a member of the class of 2010 soon.

This is a general and broad question, but what do you guys like about UNECOM? Also, does the weather get as bad as I think it does up there?

First of all Congrats on gettinginto UNECOM!!! I'm a first year student and absolutely love it.

Before starting UNECOM we sold almost all of our furniture and large items. Basically, you will only spend 2 years in Biddeford before you go on rotations so downsizing and being prepared to move a lot is a good idea.

As for specifics, definitely purchase your medical equipment at the beginning of the summer and not from the UNECOM book store where you will pay 2-300$ more than you should. Basically, dont buy anything from the bookstore if you can avoid it, it's all marked way up. Our class ran into a huge problem this year regarding medical equipment purchasing.

Hope to see you here next year!

We are currently renting a furnished place and it'sworkingout really well so far.
ShyRem said:

man...i sent in my secondaries early oct...thought i sent in everything..but they claim that they didnt get my technical standards signature sheet...arghhhhh...so i mailed that in yesterday

Hello, quick question what do they mean by professional rec will my counselor do he's not my acdemic counselor but another type of counselor

I think they mean a boss or supervisor, not your family physician or personal counselor. Just my opinion, but I think if someone is treating you then it is a personal recommendation, not a professional one since you have a personal relationship with them. I tend to think of 'professional' as someone you work with or for.

oh he's one of my school advisors just with a different program kind of like a mentor not really a personal person, but i understand what ur saying someone i've worked for. thanks

Hey All,

Everyone is so quite!!!! Come on where is that class spirit people.

UNECOM 2o1o (Same time as the olympics in Vancouver)

:sleep:
ShyRem said:
Sorry, docbill. Been quiet here with the flu.

Sorry to hear about the flu.....How's the house coming?

As for docbill--I agree it has been a little quiet..maybe it's still early. Funny, I always thought once I finally got accepted to med school, I'd be shouting it from the moutain tops. You know, walking the streets of my community banging on doors, randomly calling people, buying air time on the local radio station--telling people that I'm one step closer to my goal. Now that this day has finally arrived, frankly, I'm just kind of tired and in need of a long nap. :sleep:

hehehe.. yeappp we all feel the same. I knew about my acceptance a year ago. So the novelty is gone. That new car smell is gone. I also had those doughts (medical school.. many years... will I make it) and recovered from them.

But I am still very pleased with my decission to only keep UNECOM offer. The only way I would give that up is if I can't afford. That is the present problem!!!

Shyrem, I was in Montreal for a week (7days) and I came back with a horible flu. The worst in the last 3-5 years. This one gave me bad fevers and cold swets at night. And let me tell you something, I had the flu shot... so it tell you how useless it is again this year. Well at least now I am good to go. Better now then in the freezing winter.

All the best guys and gals

House is coming along. Got the whole downstairs devoid of the hated popcorn ceiling and the bottom half of one half of the room painted (there's a shelf around the room halfway up). Now that tea and toast stay down, I think it's back to painting tomorrow to try and get the downstairs DONE. :)

ShyRem said:
House is coming along. Got the whole downstairs devoid of the hated popcorn ceiling and the bottom half of one half of the room painted (there's a shelf around the room halfway up). Now that tea and toast stay down, I think it's back to painting tomorrow to try and get the downstairs DONE. :)

I detest popcorn ceilings. Trying to match that freaking stuff after doing a repair on the ceiling is a pain in the rump.

Wook

Docbill introduces an interesting point about the reality of med school. Anyone in class of 2010 planning on applying for military or NHSC scholarships?

I considered at length applying for the military program....but now I'm choosing to only apply for the NHSC scholar program. Anyone else in this boat? However, with the chances that I'm reading about on other threads (1 in 7) I'm definitely looking for other sources.

Hey guys. I am looking to go through the Army scholarship program. I still have to get in to UNE, a minor detail, but it is deffinitely my number one. Jonb12997, is there anything you think I might be able to do to increase my application at this point? Do you know Janelle Mara? I have talked to her about this whole process and got some good advice from her. I am thinking about contacting James Gaffney about coming to visit and sitting in on a class. I came last spring, the day before your last exam, and got to see the campus and the building, but didnt get to experience the school really. Well, this is long enough. Hope to become a member of the class of 2010. Take care.

I just got my letter of acceptance for the class of 2010 today! I am so psyched... just wanted to say congrats to everyone here! :)

Congrats and welcome to the official class. Are you sure you attending or still interviewing? Either way good job on getting this far.
docbil

swtcatastrophe1 said:
I just got my letter of acceptance for the class of 2010 today! I am so psyched... just wanted to say congrats to everyone here! :)

Congratulations--That's wonderful news! :)
Eight and a half months and counting......

Docbill- I called Lisa today and I'm officially confirmed... I think I'm almost still in disbelief of getting my letter! :p I can't wait to start getting official letters and other random 'stuff' from the school. And it all begins :D ....

HunterGatherer said:
Any idea how much the depostis are and how long you have to come up with the money after getting accepted? Thanks.

$500 by 12/15. $1000 within sixty days later. As for the rest of the tuition, I haven't crossed that bridge, yet.

swtcatastrophe1 said:
Docbill- I called Lisa today and I'm officially confirmed... I think I'm almost still in disbelief of getting my letter! :p I can't wait to start getting official letters and other random 'stuff' from the school. And it all begins :D ....

Ah, LISA!! The mention of her name brings a smile to my face. I'm quite certain that admission folks do not get any kinder and nicer and more helpful than Lisa.

heheheh that is so true Lisa is so NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

wook said:
I was waiting for you to keep the thread alive and kicking!!

Wook

I try ... I try! but I don't know how long I can do it for. Its hard. ALways putting b-u-m-p!!!!

Seriously research the Army/Navy/AirF programs before you sign your life away. I thought about applying Navy and met w a recruiter at the beginning of school for a few hours. The program sounded excellent and graduating with no loans sounded great however, the reality of your committment to them is very different than what the recruiter will tell you.

After talking to a number of students who are ex/current military folk, I realized that the recruiter actually blatently lied to me about a number of things.

It may be a good program for you but make sure you get the whole truth about these programs before you sign up and rember that the recruiter gets paid to sign you up (the military med students also get rewards if they get you to sign). I know Janelle and she is in a military program, she is very nice and can give you a lot of advice about those programs.

Sitting in on a day of classes is an excellent idea. Good luck with your application!

redwings54 said:
Hey guys. I am looking to go through the Army scholarship program. I still have to get in to UNE, a minor detail, but it is deffinitely my number one. Jonb12997, is there anything you think I might be able to do to increase my application at this point? Do you know Janelle Mara? I have talked to her about this whole process and got some good advice from her. I am thinking about contacting James Gaffney about coming to visit and sitting in on a class. I came last spring, the day before your last exam, and got to see the campus and the building, but didnt get to experience the school really. Well, this is long enough. Hope to become a member of the class of 2010. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.