1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UNECOM Curriculum

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Cordoba, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Cordoba

Cordoba Junior Member

Does UNECOM incorporate any problem based learning into its curriculum? If not, what is a typical day of classes like?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. trj

trj Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,
    I am just a first year, so I only know the 1st year curriculum well. We have problem based learning in biochemistry and physiology. We split up in small groups with or without a facilitator (professor) and discuss cases, and solve problems associated with the case. This way of learning biochemistry was great. It helps the information to stick. In other classes we had to read cases for classes, but those two classes were really indept problem learning. As for second year, I am sure that they have some problem based learning, but I can't go into the details because I haven't been there yet, and curriculum's usually are improved from year to year based on student recommendations. The professor's really listen to the recommendations of the students and I think that was pretty cool. I hope this helps. Hopefully, a second year will reply to your question as well.

4. trj

trj Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

oops I forgot to mention this... we are in classes from about 8am or 9am until 3pm or 5pm everyday. last semester, it was more like 5pm everyday because of gross anatomy.

5. amr122

amr122 Junior Member

2nd-year UNECOM classes follow a systems format (nervous, cardiovascular, psych, GI, etc.) and are mostly taught be visiting clinicians. They don't use PBL much, but the lecturer often uses clinical presentations and situations to illustrate various points.

There is a seperate class called Differential Diagnosis that is very PBL in nature. You and a partner are given a case for which you have to research, develop a differential diagnosis based on the patient presentation, and then present the case and your diff 2 days later. During the presentation, you are asked questions by clinical faculty about your diff, how you would work up the patient, and shown the results of the various tests that you might want to run. It is designed to simulate case presentations that you will do third & fourth year on rotations, and as such, some of the clinicians tend to grill students. But even with the grilling, it's a very good learning experience and very helpful.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

adam, MSII
    UNECOM

6. Cordoba

Cordoba Junior Member

Thanks for your replies. You have both been very helpful.

I've been told by many sources (intructors, tourguides, Cape Porpoise DO's)that UNECOM has an unusually stong bond between its students. Friendship,lack of competition--whatever it can be called--do these comforts really exist within the class or is this overstated? How can everyone be so friendly while completing the arduous task of med school?

7. jediwolfman

jediwolfman New Member

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions as I do not check this forum on a frequent basis.

8. unejack

unejack New Member

I don't think that the friendship and lack of competition can be overstated. There are definately a FEW students (around 5 or 6) who do not really fit this stereotype. But by and large, the feeling art the school is one of family. The professors are very accesible and easy going. Most students will gladly help other students even if it means slightly lower grades for themseves. It is really a refreshing atmosphere... Like everywhere, people work hard, but they do it together at UNECOM.

On an aside amr122 shouldn't you be coding some surveys or something?

9. aagbay

aagbay Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everybody!

I am likely going to attend UNECOM in the fall. I was wondering how they rank students. I heard that PCOM ranks and UNECOM does not but they must have some system. Also, I was wondering about residencies. I will probably choose family practice but say I fell in love with radiology or anesthesiology while I was on a rotation. Will I have a fighting chance to get one of those residencies coming from UNECOM or would I be better off going to PCOM? Thanks in advance for any information you could share!

10. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, I hate to change the topic but do you guys know if the class is full yet...and how long they are interviewing? My app was complete in mid-December and I have above average stats for the school, but every time I call, I'm still in "review". I know that they prefer New England residents, but I thought they also considered people with "ties" to New England. My husband's family only lives about 5 miles away from the school (and he was born in Scarborough) and our Florida residency is only a product of being on active-military orders (his home-of-record is still Maine). I have a feeling they're looking at my residency and writing me off....