UNECOM or PCOM???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by E-boy, Dec 24, 2000.

1. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

If you had a choice to attend UNECOM or PCOM which would you attend and why? Just trying to decide...Anybody's opinion currently attending UNECOM or PCOM would be apreciated too. THANKS [​IMG]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member

If you're looking for varied rotation sites and more residency options, I would choose PCOM. It's in Philly (med school city) and the MD counterparts in Philly really are cool about the whole DO philosophy.

4. I think you should go to UNECOM.

I'm still waiting for a letter from PCOM. If I'm waitlisted I'd prefer you were at UNECOM. ;-D

In all seriousness, I don't know much about UNECOM, but I know I think PCOM is a great school. There isn't another choice out there for me.

W.

5. trj

trj Junior Member

I don't know much about PCOM, because I didn't apply there. As far as I know, it is a great school. The reasons that I didn't apply there is class size and location. PCOM is in a great location for a lot of people, but because I am from New England and I wanted to go to a smaller school, I chose not to apply there. My class only has about 110 people and I think that PCOM is at least double that number.

It is important as a prospective medical student to weigh all of the positives and negatives. That is what I did after I got my acceptances. I looked at location, curriculum, rotations, what students told me about the school and how happy they are there, board scores, USNews and world report (this may not be the best area to judge, but I looked here too), cost, and where you want to end up.

For me, I chose UNECOM because the students were happy, and it felt like a family when I interviewed there and it continues to be a very nurturing learning environment. Maine sometimes has a bad rap, but you are close to the mountains and the school is on the ocean and saco river. UNECOM is the only medical school in Maine and a ton of doctors in Maine are DOs. Most of our rotations are in New England, in addition to New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Also, I thought the campus was pretty. The most important thing in choosing your school is to be true to yourself. Make lists of all of the schools and from there decide. UNECOM is a great school and I am quite happy that I came here. Good luck with your choice. It is a nice choice to have though, isn't it?

6. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still not sure what to do, but I'm thinking more and more about UNECOM since I'm from New England also.

Can someone write about clinical years and residencies at UNECOM? Choices? How are they?

7. trj

trj Junior Member

Hi E boy,
    Try contacting the school about rotations, if you need more info. We have a site in Rhode Island, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (2), and possibly one in Massachusetts for next year. I know that UNECOM is currently working on getting more rotation sites in New England. As for the residencies, it varies from year to year. As far as I know, people go everywhere in both allopathic and osteopathic programs. I hope that I answered some of your questions. IF not, you can always contact UNECOM.
    Good luck in your decision!

8. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

Hey TRJ,
    One more question for you. Whether you live in town or in one of the beach houses around UNECOM campus...do you know how I could start looking for one and when is the best time to look? Is there a list at UNECOM for any of the beach houses or is it just for places in town...Are they hard to get? Please reply when you get a chance. THANKS [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by E-boy (edited 01-09-2001).]

9. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    E-Boy,
    I know your housing question was to trj, but as someone who has decided to attend UNE next fall and actually moved to Maine from the midwest a couple of weeks ago, I have recent experience looking for housing around here.
    Apts: cheap ($500-$800), plentiful - if you want a one or two bedroom and don't mind parking on the street. Lots on UNE's website, although it doesn't get updated often. www.mainetoday.com has current ads from the Portland Press Herald and several other newspapers. www.journaltribune.com has ads from the Biddeford Journal tribune. It's hard to find one that lets you have pets. Some are seasonal rentals, usually Oct-June, but it varies by a month or so either way.
    Houses: Most near the Biddeford/Saco area for rent are seasonal rentals. Especially the beach houses. The year-rounds go FAST, many are gone only a few days after being put in the paper, because there aren't many. Those same websites are useful for this, but also try www.fishmanrealty.com (if you call, ask for Tracy Meier, she found us our place)

I rented a house in Portland to be near my husband's work, but it is a 35 minute commute to UNE. Rent in Portland is crazy. I pay $1400/month for a 3,000 sq ft. 3bdrm house with a balcony. All of the houses I looked at (9 total)in Portland and South Portland, ranged from 1,000 to 1,600 a month, even a crappy 2 bdrm 850 sq. ft house was 1,000 a month. I did see ads for 2 bedroom houses in the Biddeford area for under 1,000 a month, but all of the ones I called (over 20 in the 3 days I was in Biddeford looking for housing, and even more from the internet before then), and I mean ALL of them, were already rented when I called the ad, some even on the same day the ad was started. I never saw any ads for year-round rental on the beach houses, but there were some available for seasonal rental.

Bottom line from my experience, know what you can afford/if you want a roommate ahead of time, and don't sit on a good ad. You can find things that are reasonably priced, after all, someone snapped these places up before I called and found out they were rented. It just takes a lot of calling and some good timing.

If you were looking for just a room in a house to rent, there were lots of those ads too. good luck, and if you need any other info, feel free to email me.

Doc Oc

[This message has been edited by Doc Oc (edited 01-10-2001).]

10. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

Hey Doc Oc,
    Thanks a lot for the info! I guess I'll start looking soon. I'm really interested in a place on the beach by the campus so I guess I have to figure out where to stay for the first month of school or so. Do you know anyone that got a beach house already for next year?
    Anyway, thanks again.

11. trj

trj Junior Member

It is good to start looking at the beach houses now. Some landlords let you stay there in August too, but you may have to pay more. Average rent for the beach house from September until May is around 500 for a one bedroom and 600 for a 2 bedroom. Look on the school's web page under student activities and you should see a listing of places to rent. If you end up looking at a place around the school besides the beach, most places don't post their openings until May. In Saco or Biddeford the rent is around 400-500 for a 1 bedroom and 550 for a 2 bedroom. Some of my classmates stayed with other people in the class temporarily until their place opened. I hope this helps.

12. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

ok...Thanks TRJ [​IMG]

13. glands75

glands75 Member

I am trying to make the same choice. When I interviewed at both schools last fall, I really liked both schools, but for different reasons.

Let's face it, these schools have very different programs, locations, student bodies, facilities, etc.

low on the priority list for me is location. Growing up in Jersey, I'd probably feel at home just as much in this part of Philly as much as in the sticks of Maine.

higher on the list is the size of the entering class: UNECOM 115, PCOM 250. 115 is not to small, not too big. UNECOM wins that matchup. Also, a little known fact about PCOM... about 20% of the entering students have completed first yr. med school classes in PCOM's Master's degree program. Good luck trying to be the shining star of the first year class unless you were in that program. and yes, PCOM students are RANKED!

Curriculum- PCOM students generally sit in class 8:30-4:30 and receive a traditional lecture based model of education, whereas UNECOM students receive a Systems-based approach, and probably sit just as long each day.

Facilities- PCOM's facilities are modern. I thought that I wouldn't find a nicer school, lecture hall, labs, etc... until I visited UNECOM. UNECOM wins hands down.

Years 3 and 4- PCOM has the lock on this vote. I don't have to remind any future osteopath about the 100+ yrs. of reputation and clinical affiliations of this school. All throughout Pennsylvania, you can find whatever type of hospital, clinic, or ambulatory care center you want. They have a HUGE list of affiliates from which to choose in and out of Philly.
    UNECOM, on the other hand, is lacking... Utica, NY?!? That town is more burnt-out than Camden, NJ! The small list of affiliate hospitals (~10) keeps changing every year. Hmmmm. Some of their students go to international sites (probably because they don't want to end up in Newark, NJ or Utica, NY!)

UNECOM - 80% of students go into primary care.
    PCOM - ~70% go into primary care. But, I have a funny feeling that this number is inflated and they don't track the IM docs who eventually specialize later in their career.

CUSTOMER SERVICE- "But, Glands, we're med students, NOT customers!" Wrong! You will learn this at one of your CME classes in the future. Everyone in the healthcare industry is a customer of everyone else. PCOM's administrative staff doesn't seem to understand this. Anytime I call to request info or speak to someone about financial aid or the program, I am met with a BIG ATTITUDE. Maybe it's because I haven't lived in NJ for a few years and I've forgotten how curt and seemingly inconsiderate people can be, but if I'm about to put down 40 G's per year on your school, than the least you can do is bring up a number on a computer screen and not give me lip service about it. I want to make an informed decision about the school I attend and to determine the opportunities available to me both in and after med school.

The other schools to which I've been accepted have ALL been forthcoming with statistics, loan, and other financial and non-financial info.

Remember: The bigger the program, the bigger the headache.

Hmmmm.... there might be an open spot in PCOM's class of 2005 really soon.

Good luck to all
    -Glands

14. jdg

jdg

Glands-

That was a pretty extensive response, and while most of the things you said about
    PCOM are true, you are wrong about lectures at PCOM. We really do not have a "traditional" curriculum. Actually, we are the first class to undergo the new "integrated" curriculum. First year, first term, you will take Anatomy, Histology, Primary Care Skills and Osteopathic Principles and Practice at PCOM. Currently second term, we are taking integrated biomedical sciences which comprises Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Immunology, and Microbiology. Most of the concepts in this course are introductory because we will continue to see each course represented in more detail as we move into the true systems based classes next term and beyond. Our third and final term this year will bring Pulmonary medicine and Cardiology. Of course we continue to take OPP and Primary Care Skills each term. Also, our lecture schedule varies, but we are generally in class from 8:30-2:00 or 3:00 pm each day. The remainder of the day is either free or spent in lab (OMM or Micro.) Hope this helps and clarifies things for others.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

15. NurseyK

NurseyK Bunny-Slave
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    What's the deal with the "ranking"?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. gower

gower 1K Member

Are you a city mouse or a country mouse?
    Rankings? City mice thrive in the city, country mice thrive in the country.

18. glands75

glands75 Member

The students are ranked #1 - #250. These stats are released to clerkships and residency/internship programs. Not too bad if you're #1 in your class... but how does it look to be #201 or #250?

Let's think back to undergrad, the week before that microbiology exam, when the two items on reserve at the library are MIA! The same "gunners" from undergrad will be sitting right next to you at PCOM.

Everyone at the school will tell you that there's no competition and everyone helps each other out. They gave me that speech, too, back in September when I interviewed there. I wanted to believe it, but I can't. Med students are students first, professionals second.

Glands75

19. jennyd

jennyd Junior Member

As a second year at PCOM, I feel that I can shed some more light on this subject. There were two different tangents that had been approaced and I would like to address both of them (ranking/competition and curriculum). First, ranking - yes you are ranked after your first year and again after your second year. Your ranking really doesn't change after first year because everyone is pretty much performing the same. It really isn't seen as that big of a deal among students - the rankings are not posted and noone but you knows where you stand. As far as competition is concerned - it honestly is not there. Sure when you are a first year it takes a little getting used to and some adjustment - everyone is used to competing for everything. But at PCOM, students really help each other - some students even put personal study aids in scribe files just to help out the whole class. Believe it or not - it is up to you, but the only competition that is present is the one within yourself. I want to do the best I can - I could care less how that compares to others. No matter what you do you will be above some people and below others - there comes a time when you accept that. Secondly, the curriculum is currently being revised to become more integrated. As a second year who is still going through the old system I am still very happy with the manner by which I have been taught. It has made sense - we are presented with the basics first year and then second year breaks everything down into systems to further explain the details. PCOM has alot to offer anyone interested in a great osteopathic education. I truly believe that every school has its issues, I am not trying to discount those - however, PCOM's advantages far outweigh its problems.

20. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member

For those of you who are in the process of picking a medical school here is some recent information regarding UNECOM that might be helpful. Several posters have mentioned the push toward adding additional training (3rd and 4th year)opportinities in New England. As of this posting UNECOM Core Training locations for third year include NJ( Newark), PA (Lancaster & Allentown), NY (Leatherstocking(Cooperstown & Utica), Maine, RI (Providence). The Ohio sites are no longer used by UNECOM. The school is dedicated to finding additional sites in New England, but nothing is set in stone as of this posting. Hope this helped. In addition, UNECOM has been a great place to learn medicine. The Faculty are excellent and I enjoy the "family" atmosphere with my fellow students. The area is nice and Portland is a nice small city 25 minutes north of campus. Twin Lobster $9.99 in the summertime...can't beat that. Good luck!

21. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any $9.99 lobster in the wintertime [​IMG] ? Do you know where the rotations in Maine are at? I know they are at different hospitals around the state, but do you have any info on which ones as well as which rotations are done at each? Are all rotations, including electives, done at the core rotation sites that you mentioned above, or could someone set one up at another teaching hospital not on the core rotation list?

Thanks,
    Doc Oc (UNECOM Class of 2005!)

22. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member

I got accepted to UNECOM and this is as far as I know....
    You have to do your 3rd yr rotations at one of their designated sites. However, during your 4th year, you can go anywhere you'd like and make up your rotations.

Hope this helps.

23. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member

Dear Doc Oc,

First congratulations...you will enjoy your two years at UNECOM. Lobsters are a bit more expensive in the winter, but still cheaper than anywhere in the US!

As for the Maine rotations below are the names of the hospitals that UNECOM students rotate through during their third year core rotations.

Your core training is done at one of the core sites listed in my last post. That takes up most of your third year. Fourth year students must complete 20 weeks of selective rotations (selective meaning the disciplins are required by the school, but the sites are selected by the student) and 20 weeks of elective (elective meaning that the disciplins and the cites are selected by the student). Thats kind of the simple version, but the basic idea is that during your fourth year (and sometimes the end of your third) the student can set up rotations where they wish to go and in some cases (elective rotations) can select the disciplin (ie internal medicine, family practice, cardiology etc)

Maine Hospitals (may change year by year)
    Central Maine Medical Center
    Eastern Maine Medical Center
    Maine-Dartmouth Family Practice
    Maine Medical Center
    Mercy Hospital
    Mercy Primary Care
    St. Mary's Regional Medical Center
    Spring Harbor Hospital
    Southern Maine Medical Center
    Togus Veterans Hospital
    UNECOM HEalth Center

Hope this helped. Back to the books!

24. sheikh79

sheikh79 New Member

Hey,
    I was just wondering if you know anything about attaining orthopedic surgery residencies after attending PCOM. According to the PCOM website, the Philadelphia 76ers practice at PCOM and the team orthopedic surgeon is a DO who also runs the orthopedic residency program at PCOM along with the Eagles' team ortho surgeon. Is orthopedic surgery a popular choice amongst students due to these factors, and is it hard to get. How hard is it to get the internship that leads to an orthopedic residency at PCOM or other institutions? Does attending PCOM help in attaining this residency at PCOM? Also what's the grading policy at PCOM?
    Sheikh

25. aagbay

aagbay Member

Hey everybody!

-I am also deciding between UNECOM and PCOM and I have some questions.

-UNECOM has 4 students per cadaver and PCOM has 5 students per cadaver. Do you think this is a big difference?

-I think that at UNECOM, housing is provided during your rotations. I think PCOM makes you fend for yourself for finding housing on rotations. Is this true and is it much of an inconvenience?

-PCOM has many students that came from their Masters program. Is it true that they outperform those students who were not previously in the PCOM Masters program?

-Is it true that you will have more residency opportunities coming from PCOM than if you come from UNECOM?

-PCOM has more people going into specialties. Does this mean it is easier to get a specialty residency coming from PCOM?

Thanks in advance for any information you could share.

26. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member

Dear aagbay,

First and foremost congratulations! I thought I would respond and offer some information regarding UNECOM.

1) We do have 4 students per donor. In my honest opinion one more person would not have made much difference. It was nice having four ...one "team" per each side of the body, but I would not get hung up between 4 or 5. Again , in my opinion, the aspect that separates UNECOM from other schools, with rgards to anatomy, is the quality of the lab facilities and faculty.

2) As far as residency options....I think that is up to each individual student. If you work hard, both while on campus and while on clinical rotations, you will have options.

3) UNECOM is a great place to learn medicine. I have friends at other osteopathic/allopathic institutions including PCOM who say the same thing about their schools. Pick a place that fits your style of learning and that you feel most comfortable with.

4) Best of luck!

Matt

27. EstesDO

EstesDO Junior Member

I am also considering UNECOM. I've read the catalog of PCOM also. I definitely want to stay in New England.

Is it true that UNECOM grades Pass/Fail?

What are the professors like? Are they accomodating and always available?

Good Luck to those accepted future Mainers!

28. EJS

EJS

Resident [Any Field]
    UNECOM: about our grading system... We do Pass(70)/Fail/High Pass(90). It took a little bit to get used to but I think it's a good plan.
    About our prof's... many of them are really nice and would always be willing to meet with you and help you out. Some others are a little bit more intimidating. But, I'd say practically all of them this year were quite available.
    On housing... I live at the beach, and you know what? I paid to much to live near something I only see as I go to my car to go to class and back in to study. Most of the time it kinda makes me depressed that I never get to sit out there and enjoy it. Plus, there is 10 feet of snow in my driveway right now due to drifts!! So, next year I am taking the heat included much cheaper in town version near a grocery store. [​IMG]
    on cadavers... the more people would only matter if you had lab partners that aren't good at sharing space or jobs. If you are someone, like myself, who likes to be active in stuff, the fewer people the better.

29. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member

Hey EJS,
    Do you know any places that are available on the beach for rent? I've checked out the listings on UNECOM website, but many of them are already gone. I'm looking for a place for 2-3 people on Hills Beach Rd. Please email me if you know anything. Thanks [​IMG]

EMAIL: [email protected]

30. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?

bVmp!

l3T chA05 Re1gN!