UNECOM really biased towards New Englanders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm wondering if UNECOM really prefers New Englanders or not. UNECOM is my top choice school, but I currently live in Chicago, and am originally from NJ. My husband and I want to end up in New England, and I am really very impressed with UNECOM. If I were to be accepted to UNECOM, I'd definitely practice in New England, but I'm not sure how to convey this to the adcom. Any ideas on this matter? How about current UNECOM students-- are you all from New England?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Erin,

Congrats on your ambitions to become a doctor. As for your question regarding UNECOM, I am from Ohio and was ready to attend UNECOM. In terms of selecting someone, they favor New Englanders but they don't shut anyone out. If you have strong credentials (>3.5 GPA, >26 MCAT, and a strong DO letter) you will be set. The hard part is to get those numbers.

I have also heard that UNECOM has a slight preference for New England residents. But when I interviewed there, I didn't feel that they favored students from any one area of the country. There were people from all over in my interview group. My personal opinion is that the school uses the area that it is in as one of its "marketing" assets, so it does help that the New England area appeals to you and your family. Their secondary application includes an essay section (if I remember correctly), so if you choose to do so, you can express your interest there.

DoctorDoogie4 is absolutely right about your credentials bearing the most weight in their decision.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Erin-
In answer to your post; I dont feel that UNECOM is biased toward New Englanders. When I interviewed there, there was only two people from New England in my interview group. The other eight were from all over the U.S. I was accepted in early Feb. but turned it down to go to WesternU here in Southern California. By the way, my grades and MCAT scores were average.

Anyways, UNECOM is a great school. Keep up the hard work and you'll get in.
:D

I felt very welcome during my interview at UNE. In my opinion, UNE is not biased at all. Apply, you will see ;)

Best Wishes,
JJ

on the UNE website it says: "Applicants are judged on their demonstration of scholastic abilities, motivation to practice osteopathic medicine in New England, and the emotional stability necessary to study and practice osteopathic medicine."

It also says: "Preference is given to qualified applicants from the New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)."

I'm a ME resident, but after talking with the people I interviewed with and others on these boards it seems clear that they are willing to accept anyone who shows a sincere interest in Osteopathic medicine. :) The fact that you are interested in staying in New England can only help! UNE is the only osteopathic med school in the New England "area" - I think that plays into them showing "preference."

Hee hee p2p; what about wannabe New Englanders?? Does that count???

:p

UNECOM has a preference for students who have taken biochemistry. A course which I haven't had time to take and upsets me greatly cause I would love to go to this school as I'm from the Northeast and was accepted to their physical therapy program (didn't go but if it wasn't for the scholarship I received elsewhere I would have gone).

If you like the school, apply and offer strong reasons for why you want to be there.
Good luck to all those applying to this beautiful school!

The mission of UNECOM is to provide the New England area with physicians, so there it is a plus if you want to practice here and express that. However, there are so many people in both my class and the class below me who aren't from New England that I find it hard to believe that someone with a sincere desire to practice in New England would notice the preference, no matter where they are from.

As for biochemistry being a "preference", it is actually a requirement. Our biochem class is clinically oriented and case based, so you need to have had biochem already to take it. UNE has an online course, taught by the same guy who teaches the COM course.

PTJay it is cool to see you are from WHartford I am from EHartford.
Yes it is true that UNE shows a preference for New England students.
What factor that plays into the whole admittance process I don't know.
Perhaps the poster could write the school and let them know how interested you are in the New England area, if you haven't already.
I was a tour guide during the interviews, I really hope I see some of the people I toured in July!
-Tim

Hi all,
I am a new englad resident and I got in but other people I have met from my class are all over! Have heart if you show passion there is a good chance you can get in. THe only time supposedly residency plays a large role is if they have identical students and one is from NE and the other is not.

Does anyone know if UNECOM has completed its interviews for this application year or are interviews still being conducted? Thanks!

Right now UNECOM is planning on interviewing until 12 April.

Please, people, don't be afraid to call/e-mail/whatever the school with questions...there are people who get paid to answer them; don't make their lives purposeless. The same goes for the misguided, lonely souls who wrote the website...it's (almost) all there, if you're willing to search.