1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

UNECOM success stories

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by redsoxfan, Mar 27, 2007.

1. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm attending UNECOM in the fall, as it is currently the only school i've been accepted to. i had a good feeling there and am excited to be going to med school in the fall, but i am less than impressed with their residency match list. Does anyone know of any Unecom success stories? I realize Unecom grads are very successful in landing primary care residencies both DO and allo, but I guess I'm looking more for a glimmer of hope to enter a surgical residency (preferably allo so i can return to boston). i really don't want to strike any personal cords here. I know i will receive an excellent education at Unecom and it is up to me to do well on my boards, but I also have to keep in mind that residency selection is partially based on precedent for a particular school.
    thanks in advance!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Rule #1: If you want to go to a particular place for residency, kick @ss on Steps I and II, take AT LEAST 1 elective during your 3rd/4th year at that facility IN YOUR FIELD OF CHOICE and work HARD. Impress everyone with your work ethic, your knowledge, and your "go-getter-edness." This will mean a lot more than the school you attend.

Rule #2: See rule #1. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

jd

PS - congrats on UNECOM!!

4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Hey--congrats on your acceptance.
    According to your post, it seems that you've seen the residency match lists.
    If not, they're online for classes 2004-2006 at:
    http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/postgrad.asp

Glancing over the lists, it seems that the general surgery slots are at DO residencies. However, the prelim surgery slots are at MD residencies. Does that give you some hope?

5. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, residency selection may be partially based on a program's prior experience with a school's previous graduates, but I think that this is further down this list on what's important to program directors. What is important is board scores, third year clerkships, and sub-i's. If you really want to do a residency in the Boston area, do sub-i's in Beantown hospitals and impress the pants off the pd's during the rotations. If you're really worried, pick up Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency and read that over the summer.

Don't sweat the name of your school or the letters behind your name because they don't matter. Sure, you're probably not going to be doing an orthopedic surgery residency at MGH, but neither am I, and I'm from a US allopathic school. Try not to worry about the things you cannot control, like where you will be going for residency, for instance. I know that is easier said than done. For now, just sit back and enjoy the big fat envelope that you're holding in your hand.

Also remember that UNECOM is filled with non-trads, and a lot of times the places they rank highly aren't necessarily the places where a 25 year old person with no family and no strings attached would rank highly-- they have other factors to consider than just career. Which leads me to point out that a lot of times that may also be why they may pick less demanding specialties such as surgery less frequently than their allopathic counterparts.

My point is chill. The match list doesn't matter. And don't set yourself up in this mindset where you're SURE that you'll be doing surgery for the rest of your life because there's a lot out there that medicine has to offer and you might find something that fits you better.

Good luck at UNECOM next year. It's a great school.

gelpilot likes this.
  6. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Excellent point! :thumbup:

7. SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I love UNECOM (I am on the ASA list and really hope I get in!) and I am unphased about the matching issue, seeing as though I have no idea yet what type of medicine I want to practice. However, I would like to know about the fourth year clinial rotations that students have to set up for themselves. Some people say it's no problem setting these up and that they like the freedom to choose where they'll rotate through, but others have said that it's difficult and the school doesn't help you out at all and so on. I'd like to hear some opinions on this, and to hear about how difficult or easy it is to pick your rotation sites, which sites people general pick (or that you had set up personally), and so on. Thank you.

8. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You have to understand that people choose residencies for a variety of reasons. I have spoken with three surgical residents that all graduated from UNE and all chose a DO residency because they wanted to use their OMM skills to some degree (now whether that happened, I don't know, but that was their reason). One other that I have spoken with wanted to do the osteo match because it was earlier and they wanted more time to move and stuff.

If you're bemoaning the fact that not many went into surgery from UNE, that again is a personal choice. Many come into med school with an idea of what they want (and many change their minds). In my class, the majority want peds or family practice, believe it or not. A few want anesthesiology, a few want surgery, two handfuls want psych. I can think of only 4 right now that want surgery, and that includes ortho surgery. But I'm sure that will change.

The bottom line here is you need to look not just at the numbers, but did people match where they WANTED to match in the specialty they wanted to match into? If the answer to both of those is YES in high numbers, then the match list is a great one. If the answer is no in high numbers, then the match list is poor... but good luck figuring out that information.

Bottom line: Go to a school you like, that fits your style. Work hard for the match you want and you'll do fine. But don't judge a school's match success by looking at a list of sites and the number of students that went there.

9. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thank you to everyone for their advice. i know i should not be worrying this much right now. there is no way i am reapplying so im just in a position now where i dont want to limit my opportunities whatever i decide to practice. in my current job, i work directly with vascular surgeons. im hoping that maybe i can make some connections that will also help with residency. again, i know i should be happy about my acceptance and appreciate everyone's kind words about unecom. i have one last question. what is the best rotation site (ie location) to "get noticed" for a future surgical residency?

10. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One where you do quite well. Rotation sites can change, so it's a moot question right now.

It's early. Chill and just work on doing well your first few years.

11. bostongirl22

bostongirl22 Member
    10+ Year Member

many of my classmates matched in specialties other than primary care. I'm a PGY-1 in an allopathic Emergency Medicine program. There were about 7 others who matched in EM, a few in surgery allopathic programs, a few to radiology, quite a few to allopathic anesthesia, a couple derm. It is definitely possible, you can pretty much match in whatever you want if you work hard and get good grades and board scores.

Congratulations!

Shannon
    UNECOM '06

12. TweetyPie

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]