Unecom/uhs/pcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakooii723

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted into UNECOM and hopefully from UHS soon. I have an interview at PCOM this week. Both UNECOM and UHS seemed like solid schools and I enjoyed the visits to the campuses. What are the pros and cons of these schools...the skinny? Anyone having this problem with deciding between these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat with the same three schools - I loved each of them for completely different reasons.

UNECOM - Rural, good for rural medicine. May be a difficult to make connections in other places of the country. Solid OMM education.

UHS - Good school. Solid reputation. Well known in the middle of the country.

PCOM - My school (need I say more). Great reputation. Well known all over. No problems going anywhere as a PCOM grad.

It was an easy decision for me.

Make the decision that best fits YOU. Not someone else.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNECOM's rotations are in either Maine, Mass, RI, NJ, upstate NY, PA, and starting with my class, we may have a rotation site in CT. Every April, we have "hospital day", at which reps from hospitals all over the country come and have tables set up about their residency programs. There were a few places from the midwest and western states, not many, but they were there. We also have a UNECOM-Mayo lecture series, where someone from Mayo comes over and holds a lecture once a month.I don't know why you would have a harder time here making connections in "other parts of the country" than anywhere else. We also have a UNECOM-Mayo lecture series, where someone from Mayo comes over and holds a lecture once a month. If you have specific questions about UNECOM, pm me, I'm in my 2nd year here and I love it. We do have a good program for rural medicine, but that's not the only strong point of our school. I'd be happy to answer your questions if you have any. Good luck to you!

- Doc Oc
UNECOM Class of 2005

Doc Oc

I meant no insult by saying that it may be more difficult to make connections from UNECOM.

It sounds like the school does a great job at getting it's students exposure all over the place. I'm impressed.

Best wishes

I think that you need to see what school fits you (I know it was hard for me to decide)...all the schools will pretty much give you a good education.

To give you a flavor of where our grads at UNECOM end up, here are a few places that the class of 2002 matched at:

Cedar-Sinai, Los Angeles
UCONN
Andrews AFB
Walter Reed Army Med Ctr
Emory
John's Hopkins
UMASS; Brigham & Women's Hospital
Beth Israel Hospital, NY
Cleveland Clinic
MCP; Thomas Jefferson U
Mayo Clinic
What I liked about UNE when I decided....
P/F/HP grading system .....less competition
No class rank....less competition
Great Anatomy/OMM as well as other courses
Small class size (~115)
Everyone tends to help each other out...a friendly environment.

Just my opinion on UNE. Oh...I'm from NYC and Biddeford isn't that rural. Plus, it provides me with less distractions so I can study. You can go to an urban city area to do your rotations if you choose.

I heard that UNE-COM was going to start a class ranking system starting next year. :(

when I interviewed there two weeks ago they told us all DO schools are moving toward a ranking system because it has become too hard to place students in residencies w/o a system of ranking students. I think the AACOM had something to do with it...