UNECOM vs. DMU vs. Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctober

Reaction score
First post here. First time applying to schools. MA resident, 23M, ~3.8cGPA, ~3.7sGPA, 508. Will be moving in with girlfriend wherever I go. Recently interviewed at UMass Med, but I want to place a deposit at one of my acceptances because I will not hear back in time.

UNECOM

Pros
  • I live in MA and going to school in Maine would be awesome. I love the location (close to friends, family, skiing, etc.). I thought the campus was nice during the interview.
  • I like the sense of community on campus.
  • Overall, a great school with a good reputation in New England. I ultimately plan to practice medicine in New England, but I don't feel that I necessarily have to go to school in Maine to accomplish this.
Cons
  • I have been told by current students that "For boards you're kind of on your own a bit, but they try to help" and "Mandatory classes are annoying, but the policy keeps changing"
  • Relatively expensive (Tuition ~60k)
  • I know that passing boards and finding rotation sites is ultimately up to me, but I feel that I can have a better support system at a different school.
DMU-COM

Pros
  • Great school with great reputation.
  • Cheapest school and low cost of living
  • Classes are not mandatory and students said the environment was pretty laid back
  • Tons of rotation sites close to campus
  • Overall, I thought that my day-to-day life would be best at DMU.
Cons
  • It's in Iowa
  • I liked Des Moines, but I am hesitant to relocate halfway across the country and I would like to come back to New England for residency.
NSU-KPCOM

Pros
  • Personally, I thought the location was awesome and they have relationships with so many large hospitals in the area
  • Large campus with great facilities
  • Overall, I thought this was the "nicest" campus
Cons
  • Estimated cost of attendance for first year is 104k.......................
  • Dress code on campus

TLDR: All in all, I enjoyed all three schools and they are somewhat equal when it comes to match list, board scores, etc. UNECOM - close to home, but I feel that my day-to-day life will be the most stressful; DMU - In the Midwest, but cheapest school and I loved the vibe; Nova - loved it, but cannot justify paying 104k for one year of schooling.

Members don't see this ad.

If you ball out then nova will cost 104k. I took out max loans my first year and ended up with 14k extra so now I’m taking 90k for the second year. It’s still pretty expensive but that’s south Florida for ya. If you want cheap I’d go with DMU. Nova for all its faults and low pass rates has tons of connections and is pretty well known in the area.