UNECOM vs NOVA-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I got into UNECOM in october, and then just got into NOVA-COM last week. I am having a hard time deciding between the two schools. Basically - i am leaning towards UNECOM and here is why:

It seems that UNECOM is better during the first two years with basic sciences. There is a bigger emphasis on anatomy at UNECOM (they dissect four times a week compared to once a week at NOVA (or so i was told at the respective places)) Moreover, the class size at UNECOM (115) is a lot smaller than the 200 that NOVA is expecting in the class of 2004. I think it is better to be in a small class because of the stronger community feeling that is probably built. Also - I was told that UNECOM is pass/fail while NOVA is not, thus there is probably less competition at UNECOM. NOVA has its advantages in the clinical years it seems, and of course there is the weather, but I didn't want that to be a big consideration. Anyways - those are the things that are making me lean towards UNECOM - but please give advice as to whether i am wrong or right- i'm all ears!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity were you on the alternate list at Nova? Or did you have a late interview?

It sounds as if you have already made your decision. I tend to agree with you about the class size, it's much nicer to have fewer people because you have a better chance of interacting with your professors that way. And if you haven't had anatomy yet you might want to be somewhere that really focuses on it. Its a difficult class because of all the memorization involved and having more time in class helps. Well I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

I was not on the alternate list - my interview was in early march and i found that i got in there in mid-april