UNECOM vs UMDNJ- which one to choose, Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZainZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNECOM vs UMDNJ- which one to choose, that is the quesiton
Help!!! I can't make a decision!

I had a terrible visit/interview in NJ and didn't think much of the area. However, on paper the place looks great and then there's the issue of tuition (about 13k less than at UNECOM)...

However, I loved the students I met in Maine and the area is beautifull and very peacefull...But is that worth the extra debt (which would add up to quite a lot in the long run). And it seems like the program is less well known ...

I've looked at the residency match list for both places but I don't know much about the programs so I can't say which is stronger.

Help!!!
If you go to either school, what do you like and dislike about the program?
Is "I like this place" woth 13k extra a year?
Which school has competitive graduates?

I know these issues become more clear in hindsight, so pease share your thoughts, experiences, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

ZainZ said:
UNECOM vs UMDNJ- which one to choose, that is the quesiton
Help!!! I can't make a decision!

I had a terrible visit/interview in NJ and didn't think much of the area. However, on paper the place looks great and then there's the issue of tuition (about 13k less than at UNECOM)...

However, I loved the students I met in Maine and the area is beautifull and very peacefull...But is that worth the extra debt (which would add up to quite a lot in the long run). And it seems like the program is less well known ...

I've looked at the residency match list for both places but I don't know much about the programs so I can't say which is stronger.

Help!!!
If you go to either school, what do you like and dislike about the program?
Is "I like this place" woth 13k extra a year?
Which school has competitive graduates?

I know these issues become more clear in hindsight, so pease share your thoughts, experiences, etc.

The area on the road next to the campus is not the nicest part of the area and sports a lot of shady looking shopping centers/bars. But if you travel a few hundred feet in either direction west/east, you start to see the nicer surrounding towns. Haddonfield, Voorhees and Cherry Hill are three very nice areas. I personally live in Echelon Glen in Voorhees. It's a really nice community, well landscaped, with lakes running trails, sports fields etc..

I'm not sure what exactly your looking for, but here are some of the things that I like about our school academically:

I think the curriculum is set up well and is very receptive to student opinion. I've found that the difficulty of exams starts off minimal and gets progressively harder as the semester goes on giving a chance for students to adapt to the workload. Professors here are very receptive to students and will meet with you by appointment. Tutors are available if you need them. The atmosphere is non competetive (there is no curve and people will rarely ask about each others grades). Students write up and send out review sheets to the class. We also have a big brother big sister program set up wherein you receive all of their notes and scribes.

For more on residency matches or curriculum, do a search on SDN and you'll find that Nate has posted answers to questions very similar to yours.

If you have any other questions about the academics, social scene, or anything else; feel free to IM or e-mail me.

Of course I'm biased but I would say UNECOM all the way. Academics here are great, but Im sure they are great in NJ as well. UNE is in such a wonderful area. Its a really great place to live. I mean I'm into skiing, and hiking and camping and beaches and nature and what not. Portland has a really good nightlife, but I'm sure it will in no way compare to what big cities have to offer, so if that is whats important to you, you may find it lacking.