UNECOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by PalCareGrl, Sep 5, 2001.

1. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Has anyone received an interview request yet? Also, does anyone know if they have started interviewing applicants yet? Thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't even received a secondary from them.

4. jdm

jdm Member
    10+ Year Member

likewise - no word

5. TweetyPie

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  6. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Congrats Tweety! When did you hear from them? Did you get a letter or a phone call? Thanks. :) Best of luck to ya!

7. TweetyPie

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  8. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yep, they contact applicants by mail and they start interviewing late september. By the way, if anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me....being an MSI isn't so bad!

[email protected]

UNECOM 2005

9. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

tweetypie, your interview date, the 22nd, thats a sat.. are you sure that the correct date? thats kinda strange isnt it. i also called and the lady told me she could not tell me what date my interview was...thanks

10. TweetyPie

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  11. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Strange, huh! Yep, UNE interview on Saturdays (NOT a mistake) and your interview time (if it's on a weekday) may be 12pm or 1pm....reason being that MSI's and MSII's have their lunch our then and we give the tours.

P.S: The school is pretty much open 24/7 just incase we get the urge to visit the anatomy lab at 3AM! Oh, State law prohibits non-medical professionals to enter the anatomy lab so you guys won't be able to see it.
    Here's how it looks......

4 pods (rooms with connecting doors and glass walls).
    4 people per cadaver.
    you get a locker outside and 2 bins in the locker room.

That's pretty much it....Oh, they keep the room below 60 deg!

12. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I just got my invitation today! I'm so excited. However, I cannot be there on the 22nd to interview so I had to reschedule and then next dates they had were in October (10/9, 10/11, and 10/13). I'm interviewing on the 13th. Is this going to hurt my chances of acceptance because I had to reschedule for later? I'm a little stressed about it but there was nothing that I could do (I'm in AZ on the 21st and FL on the 24th of Sept which is why I couldn't make it to Maine on the 22nd.). Advice please! :) Thanks.

13. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I just got an interview letter as well, on Sat 22nd of Sep. I am very excited but it's kindda far away from me, because i live in NYC. Nonetheless, I'm so happy that interviews i got so far are very early. I think I've been interviewed all on the first day of interviews...feel very honored. Does anyone know where UNECOM stands among other northeastern osteopathic schools. I heard UMDNJ-SOM is the harvard of osteopathic schools regarding the stats of enrolled students both complex test and the avg. stats for enrollment. How does this school fare with other schools like NYCOM, PCOM,LECOM...
    Thanks for your response. All informative comments are appreciated.

14. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Rescheduling won't hurt your chances since you're already interviewing early. I reschedule my interview and it was in January and I still got in. Chances are very good if you interview here.
    UNECOM isn't far from NYC. It's about 290-300 miles. I drove from Queens and it takes about 5 hrs. I can't comment on UMDNJSOM, but can tell you that UNECOM and Columbia Univ. are like the only 2 schools (more than Harvard, MSUCOM, Emory, Tufts) in the country to have the longest anatomy course (about 245 hrs long)....that means you really learn your anatomy which is essential in medicine. For comparison, MSUCOM only does 60 hrs and others typically do around 120 or so hrs of anatomy.
    3rd yr rotation sites include Newark (along with UMDNJ's (MD prog.) sites, LeHigh Valley (Allentown), Upstate NY, Maine, and they are in current negotiations with UMass.
    Hope this helps and hope to see some of you guys when you interview!

15. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks MSafur! Do you know if any other rotations sights in New England are possible during the third and fourth year? (CT, VT, NH, etc...)? Just wondering. :)

16. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Not that I know during 3rd year. During 4th year, you set up your own rotations with the approval of UNECOM and you can basically go anywhere you want. Hope this helps.....gotta get back to my skull! :oops:)

17. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mo, what are you doing!?! Get back to your skull!!

Doc Oc

UNECOM 2005

18. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Who is this?? Anyway, just got really tired of looking at the skull and felt like I could give some advice to people who are interested in UNE....I know it helped me.

Don't worry, I'm living, breathing (and smelling) anatomy! :eek:

19. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Question about UNECOM - do they have early clinical exposure (like a preceptorship)? Just wondering... I'm going in a couple of weeks - how was the interview on Saturday? :)

20. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

I declined my interviews at UNECOM and LECOM because I got accepted to UMDNJ-SOM already. Although location is an important factor but not as important as the quality of education. When I visited this school UMDNJ-SOM (twice), I really loved the school and its academic atmosphere. Along with its prestige, I would attend this school over NYCOM, which is only 15 minutes away from my house in NY. Affiliation with hospitals is another important factor, but not as important as again the quality of education, considering the fact that you can apply to any residency programs you want, not limited to or overly favored by your affiliated hospitals. HOwever, I'd like to give some consideration to PCOM and NYCOM. Still waiting for their interview notice. UNECOM's 5-6 hours away! and I'm hypersensitive to temperature gradient. I heard UNECOM is cold.

21. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Mr. MD or DO,
    If you can stand NY weather, Maine weather is not that far off. I went to NYIT for undergrad, so I know what goes on at NYCOM so I decided not to go.

Well, I was there on Saturday (usually am). I was one of the guys in scrubs...was taking a break from anatomy lab.
    Yep, we have preceptorships to different offices/hospitals/clinics from day 1.

22. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Who is Doc Oc?? Sean?? Anyway, you should be studying those cranial nerves and histo!!!

Who breaks slides??

Dude...Sweeeet.....Dude....Sweeet....

And then? And then? And then?

Alright, I'm done for today! If you guys have any Q's, feel free to e-mail us.

23. yasostegirl3437

7+ Year Member

Msafur,

What actually goes on at NYCOM? NYCOM is the only school that I plan to apply to.

There isn't much diversity at osteopathic school in general. I can't imagine living in places like Maine, Iowa and Idaho. Frankly, it scares me.

I dont feel comfortable attending a school that is not located in a large urban community. It freaks me out.

If I dont get into NYCOM, I'm screwed. It sucks to live in a restricted world but it is the reality of things.

24. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

25. andrea

10+ Year Member

Hey yall, it's me - the Texas girl that interviewed on the 22nd! Thanks for being so friendly and answering lots of questions. I had a great time up there and am definitely considering UNECOM. Take care! :)

26. andrea

10+ Year Member

Tweety-
    Wow! What are the odds that we're both from TX? How funny. What made you decide to apply out of state? I've been in TX for 10+ years and am really ready for a change, so I didn't apply here. I loved ME, though. It's just so far away - not sure how to get all my stuff up there if I decide to go.

27. Qi Whiz

Qi Whiz Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, MSafur, what goes on at NYCOM? That's also one of my top choices...