Unemployment after finishing residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting ready to finish residency and haven't found the right job yet. I'm applying to do some urgent care work but it's going to take about 2 months until I get credentials to work there. So, I was wondering if I can collect unemployment for a month or so until I can get credentialed to moonlight?

thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know for sure, but unemployment is almost always for someone who has been fired or laid off from a job. It doesn't apply to someone who quits voluntarily. I'd bet that it also doesn't apply for someone who ends a job/training program on schedule.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure unemployment doesn't apply to someone ending their educational program.

you are qualified for it cuz I was able to collect it for a month prior starting my new job in a private group.

Hmm... this is the kind of the answers I have been getting here in residency. No, no way, I don't think so and then I get the oh I heard someone got unemployment a few years ago. I guess i'll just apply and see what happens. I'll try to post my results:)

thanks

In general, you need to be out of work "through no fault of your own" to collect unemployment -- downsized, laid off, etc. Finishing your training and taking awhile to get credentialed is completely under your control -- had you started earlier, then you wouldn't have this problem.

You certainly can apply and "see what happens". However if it's later discovered that you didn't qualify but they approved you anyway, the blame is likely to fall on you for applying in the first place. You'll need to decide whether the risk of an unemployment fraud investigation is worth the money you might get.

Looks like you will have to live under a bridge for a couple of months. Send me your address at your apartment right before your lease expires and I will send you a box of peanut butter sandwiches.

How about in NY? We can't apply for our license until we have finished our residency, so technically we are out of work through no fault of our own. Has anyone applied for unemployment here?

Edit: I just realized this is the MD/DO forum, so my apologies if this doesn't apply to you guys.

Yep. You are not eligible for unemployment.

INCORRECT.

it depends on the unemployment language in the state. You were a fulltime employee with benefits and issued a check through the hospital. I am certain you had unemployment insurance taken out of your checks along with taxes.

By contributing to the unemployment insurance, you are automatically qualified.

You do not have to be "fired" or "laid off" Some states language suggests about "no work" You finish your residency but you cannot find work. The best thing you can do is talk to the unemployment department. They will contact HR at your hospital and ask:

1.) did he quit or was he fired?

2.) is this employee elligible for rehire if a position is available?

If you are in the clear, then you are elligible (depending on state). On physician challenged it in court in Michigan and won.

Seriously, you are a doctor and are hoping to file for unemployment? I don't think that unemployment benefits were meant for us. America is turning into the land of handouts where people expect something for nothing, what a sad state of affairs....

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, you are a doctor and are hoping to file for unemployment? I don't think that unemployment benefits were meant for us. America is turning into the land of handouts where people expect something for nothing, what a sad state of affairs....

he is unable to find work. he paid into the system and has the same equal rights to collect just as much as anyone else as long as he qualifies.

just because he is a physician doesn't mean he should not be able to collect.

if that is the case, id like less people to travel on some of the roads i take work because i pay more in taxes than most people earn a year, unfortunately it doesn't work like that and neither does unemployment.

i say apply and get it until you find work.

Jet why don't you go take a hike sheesh. People have families and bills to pay and everyone already has enough loans.

The above poster is right, every resident in the country pays into unemployment insurance with every paycheck. So if for some reason you are unable to to find a job right away you are entitled to unemployment compensation. Furthermore, when you finished residency it will be submitted as a termination of contract...so technically you are laid off and fully qualify just like any other manager/executive/CEO/nurse who have been getting paid much more than you have.

A couple of things you need to know. 1. You will not get paid for that first week of unemployment. 2. Your benefit is based on the income reported by your employer and the government does some crazy calculation...comes to about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you were getting as a resident. 3. Submit online as SOON as your last work day is over because that is when the meter starts (I might be wrong about this one).

If your family can't survive on such an income until you find a real job there are also other avenues of support so I would look further and not just assume because you are a doctor you should make your family suffer.

Reactions: 1 user
Like another poster mentioned, if this person did their "due dilligence," they would have looked for a job during 3rd year of residency and started working right out of residency. There is no excuse for a doctor to not be able to find work (except maybe pathology). Now, they are gonna suck off the government's teet for a couple months draining funds from people who actually can't find a job. It's a joke.

Like another poster mentioned, if this person did their "due dilligence," they would have looked for a job during 3rd year of residency and started working right out of residency. There is no excuse for a doctor to not be able to find work (except maybe pathology). Now, they are gonna suck off the government's teet for a couple months draining funds from people who actually can't find a job. It's a joke.

Not that part of me does not agree with you, but damn... it must be difficult to have perfect knowledge of everyone's situation and knowing how to lead their life for them. :rolleyes:

Seriously -- when I was finishing fellowship I had an excellent (I believe) job lined up -- I had a contract offer with the group I wanted to join in the town that I wanted to live in. In Feb/March of my final year the offer was retracted due to an unsuspected divorce... which killed the retirement plans of the person I was to replace. I had to look elsewhere with three months to go in fellowship, and ultimately had to start my own. Things are not always as straightforward as one would assume.

Not that part of me does not agree with you, but damn... it must be difficult to have perfect knowledge of everyone's situation and knowing how to lead their life for them. :rolleyes:

Seriously -- when I was finishing fellowship I had an excellent (I believe) job lined up -- I had a contract offer with the group I wanted to join in the town that I wanted to live in. In Feb/March of my final year the offer was retracted due to an unsuspected divorce... which killed the retirement plans of the person I was to replace. I had to look elsewhere with three months to go in fellowship, and ultimately had to start my own. Things are not always as straightforward as one would assume.

exactly and finding temporary work when you are advanced with degrees is difficult. burger king will not hire you. you are flight risk for anything.

it isn't like he collecting 70 weeks of unemployment waking up with a 40oz malt liquor and smoking weed all day...

he trying to find a job that pays more and supports his family and needs something to hold him over which he paid into.

i look at like this, your politicians and everyone else are stealing. at least an honest man who needs the money that he paid into is trying to get it vs the other people that just suck off the system every single day.