1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

unethical conduct

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by cptcaver, Apr 27, 2004.

1. cptcaver

cptcaver Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I must withdraw this post. Thanks for the previous replies.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

My first thought would be to talk to the resident about your concerns and see where that gets you. If that doesn't work, then I'd go to the PI... after that, I suppose you could go to the department head if you had to.

Your in a crappy situation. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Good luck,
    Dave

4. cptcaver

cptcaver Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    thanks for the info. I have talked to one of the residents and he was pretty tore up about the whole thing. I have also spoken with one of the other docs. He was pretty appauled also. The bad thing is, the DME is also the department head.

5. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's no way I would allow this to happen. I'd just be completely straight-up and tell the DME...."We're doing the work on this paper....either we get our names on it, or she does it entirely." That's it. You'll get your letters of rec...don't worry.

Best of luck :luck:

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As the other posters have said, you are in an unfortunate situation. As tempting as it may to tell this DME you are not going to do the paper, or to possibly report him to an authority, I would suggest you avoid a direct conflict and use "political finesse". As distasteful as that may sound, it will save you a whole lot of grief. At best you may get this guy in a little bit of trouble, but it is more likely that nothing much will happen. Either way, you will have to go through the arduous process of formally complaining, and then trying to prove that complaint before an ethics board (likely made up by this persons colleagues). You will also make a DME your enemy, which will result in a lot more than just a crappy last year and a bad letter of rec.

7. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Your getting bumped from finishing the project AND your names are not going to appear on it AND the person that didn't do the work is going to get credit...that all blows monkey parts.

I'd try and talk it out with the resident get them to do the work and pull their weight. Second I'd want my names on the paper for the work I did accomplish. Third, if I felt I was getting screwed and the DME was going to put the screws on me anyways....I would find ways of slowing work and procrastinating on it. It would severly drop on my priority list and I'd start concentrating on others things. I don't know the pressure your under and what situation your in but I'd also bring this ethical concern up to the resident in question as well. Its best to work together for the best results...otherwise its going to be nasty but I stand by sticking by your ethical guns.

8. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    cptcaver,

Sorry that has happened to you. I have had a couple of acquaintances that has happened to, but not in the medical realm. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck to you and your wife.

Aaron

9. cooldreams

cooldreams American Mensa Member :)
    7+ Year Member

did you get an email from the dme telling you so?? id try to get some evidence to all that you have said, and use it as blackmail in some form or another.. :)

hehe its always a nice thing to have a dme(read ace) up your sleeve....... :cool: