Unethical issues in dentistry in PS..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artisticdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Helllo everyone!

it's already end of 3rd week of June, and i'm so stressed out bc
I still haven't finished my PS yet..

I just wanted to get some ideas on whether I should include an unethical issue that I personally witnessed..

So when I was shadowing a dentist (dr. A), a patient came in and showed us his previous dental records (from his previous dentist.)
he got almost like 20 root canals bc his dentist said he needed it, but when dr. A checked his teeth, he found out that root canals weren't necessary.
when we looked at his bill, we also found out that he was overcharged for alot of things... (they charged more than $1000 for night guard!)

this incident really motivated me to become an honest, caring dentist who care more about patient's well-being than $$$$...

Soooo....
i talked about this in my PS as an event that solidified my decision.

But when I showed my PS to ~6 ppl, they had diff opinions on it.

some of them said it's very dangerous to talk about something like this and making a negative comment on any professionals doesn't belong to a PS.

some of them said it's a very good story because not everyone gets to experience something like this ...

I'm not sure if I should take this out or not because both opinions sound very right to me......................

any opinions? :T

Members don't see this ad.

Helllo everyone!

I just wanted to get some ideas on whether I should include an unethical issue that I personally witnessed..

So when I was shadowing a dentist (dr. A), a patient came in and showed us his previous dental records (from his previous dentist.)
he got almost like 20 root canals bc his dentist said he needed it, but when dr. A checked his teeth, he found out that root canals weren't necessary.
when we looked at his bill, we also found out that he was overcharged for alot of things... (they charged more than $1000 for night guard!)

this incident really motivated me to become an honest, caring dentist who care more about patient's well-being than $$$$...

Soooo....

some of them said it's very dangerous to talk about something like this and making a negative comment on any professionals doesn't belong to a PS.

some of them said it's a very good story because not everyone gets to experience something like this ...

I'm not sure if I should take this out or not because both opinions sound very right to me......................

+1

im about trying to be neutral and not bring up anything remotely controversial.

Helllo everyone!

Soooo....

I would NOT include this in a personal statement... you need to focus on something else that persuade you to go after dentistry. Seeing someone get ripped off is unfortunate, but IMO, it shouldn't be the reason why you want to become a dentist....counter argument "why not medicine.... same B.S is happening there too"

You need to focus on something that is related to ONLY dentistry (or at least from your observation) and not any other healthcare field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't include it either. These type of situations can be a "he said, she said" thing and the one dentist could have been making an honest effort to help this patient according to his knowledge, while the other dentist saw things differently. Find other things to include.

Helllo everyone!

Soooo....

Just playing devil's advocate here..but Who says Dr. A was wrong to do the root canals? Maybe your dentist isn't experienced enough to diagnose the need for a root canal. How do you know that nightguard wasn't extremely customized...hence the cost.

Every dentist is another dentist's colleague..so you wanna be careful about calling them out like that.

wow
thanks everyone for your opinions...
you guys are awesomeeeee!!

i'll take it out HAHAHA..

it's true that I don't know enough about dentistry to judge other professionals like that.... good that I realized before turning in my PS.

once again, thank you all. :claps:

What if a dude that did something similar was on the committee? Maybe he'll realize his wrong and praise you.

The ADA code of ethics states that you aren't to pass judgement on another dentists work since you have no idea the circumstances that brought about the results. Unless you're willing to testify in court, don't say anything about their work. And being overly critical of a dental professional may not be the best idea if you're trying to get into dental school.

i'll take it out HAHAHA..
it's true that I don't know enough about dentistry to judge other professionals like that.... good that I realized before turning in my PS.
It looks like stopping every 10 yards to ask direction to the end of the block has payed off.

I would NOT include this in a personal statement... you need to focus on something else that persuade you to go after dentistry. Seeing someone get ripped off is unfortunate, but IMO, it shouldn't be the reason why you want to become a dentist....counter argument "why not medicine.... same B.S is happening there too"

You need to focus on something that is related to ONLY dentistry (or at least from your observation) and not any other healthcare field.

Agreed!