Unexpected Job Benefit: The Unofficial Beers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, shandies are terrible. I don't like any of the sweetness. I don't drink white zin, I don't drink wine coolers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey snob - a "shandy" is beer mixed with a soft drink. If one can taste the juice (which does NOT have to be lemonade), then it's a shandy.

If YOU can't taste it, that's totally on you. However, wheat beers are best, because anything heavier will overwhelm the fruit. It's like the IPAs with real citrus added. No one calls them a "shandy". And the Leinenkugel's Shandy is lower in alcohol, as is the Sam Adams Porch Rocker.

You're calling the guy who confesses that Mich Ultra is the house brew a snob?

I'm aware of the definition of "shandy". I drank them all over Europe. They were tasty; not like any of these My So-Called Shandies put out by every microbrewery between Austin and Portland. Difference being that you could actually tell that the beer was mixed with a soft drink. The weight was different, the texture was different, lots of things were different. You could tell it was two drinks! I'm aware that it doesn't have to be lemonade, but yeah - its the most common diluent. I was trying to use the word "thinner" (albeit inartfully so) to communicate the "soft" in "soft drink".

I have yet to meet a modern American "shandy" that didn't just taste like someone farted citrus into a wheat beer and called it a "shandy".

Maybe I can't taste it, but I'd like to bet that I could. Tell you what I'll do. Next time I hit up my pub, I'll actually have them mix 2/3rd (insert nonspecific pilsner here) with lemonade. I'll let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as they are meant to, I find them refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. Not every drink has to weigh on you like "a peaty Scotch" or a "porter black as night".
I agree. But that doesn't mean I have to like sweet.
I drink bourbon and gingers, as mentioned before. I drink IPAs when I need to. Margaritas work just fine, but mine are pretty sour.
Just a personal thing.

Also, no sugar in the coffee.

I agree. But that doesn't mean I have to like sweet.
I drink bourbon and gingers, as mentioned before. I drink IPAs when I need to. Margaritas work just fine, but mine are pretty sour.
Just a personal thing.

Also, no sugar in the coffee.
See, that's the difference. In every one of those, I need a little sweet. And, if I NEVER have another IPA, that's too soon.

What's the best one? The one you like.

That's the best thing - we're all different! We're all good!

Any love for imperial stouts?

beer_680.jpg

I prefer stouts. The 22oz bombers will knock you on your ass, but you can just put a wine topper on it and drink the 2nd glass the next day without any problem. Clown Shoes has been my drink of choice lately. Especially the "exorcism at sunset"

Exorcism.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
In DC for ACEP, was negatively impressed by the lack of local beers. DC Brau was...unenlightening. Can't recall the name of the other one.

Saw @The White Coat Investor at his talk, and, stellar as usual. Saw @Dr.McNinja at a wilderness/tox talk (natch), and the beard is the real deal.

Otherwise, though, an absolute dearth of people I knew. What I drank, mostly, was Stella Artois.

Not impressed. Hoping SD is better.

However, to be completely candid, honestly, I suck as a single guy (wife couldn't make it).

Reactions: 1 users
Ha! Next time come up and say hi.
At ACEP I feel like Eric Stratton these days. And I'm not (nor will I) be running for office.

The F.X. Matt Brewery (which makes Saranac) has their "Haus lager", which is reputedly the beer they brewed for workers during and after work. This, now, has on the can "We drink all we can. We sell the rest." Makes me chuckle!