Unexpected Job Benefit: The Unofficial Beers Thread

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Dakota, Jul 2, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Also, shandies are terrible. I don't like any of the sweetness. I don't drink white zin, I don't drink wine coolers.

EndersRebutal likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    Just as they are meant to, I find them refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. Not every drink has to weigh on you like "a peaty Scotch" or a "porter black as night".

4. RustedFox

RustedFox We're all stars now. In the GOAT RODEO. 7+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Eternal Summer
    You're calling the guy who confesses that Mich Ultra is the house brew a snob?

I'm aware of the definition of "shandy". I drank them all over Europe. They were tasty; not like any of these My So-Called Shandies put out by every microbrewery between Austin and Portland. Difference being that you could actually tell that the beer was mixed with a soft drink. The weight was different, the texture was different, lots of things were different. You could tell it was two drinks! I'm aware that it doesn't have to be lemonade, but yeah - its the most common diluent. I was trying to use the word "thinner" (albeit inartfully so) to communicate the "soft" in "soft drink".

I have yet to meet a modern American "shandy" that didn't just taste like someone farted citrus into a wheat beer and called it a "shandy".

Maybe I can't taste it, but I'd like to bet that I could. Tell you what I'll do. Next time I hit up my pub, I'll actually have them mix 2/3rd (insert nonspecific pilsner here) with lemonade. I'll let you know.

5. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    I realize I sound like a putz here. That's on me. What's a good beer? The one you like.

Good quaffs, all.

6. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    I agree. But that doesn't mean I have to like sweet.
    I drink bourbon and gingers, as mentioned before. I drink IPAs when I need to. Margaritas work just fine, but mine are pretty sour.
    Just a personal thing.

Also, no sugar in the coffee.

7. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    See, that's the difference. In every one of those, I need a little sweet. And, if I NEVER have another IPA, that's too soon.

What's the best one? The one you like.

That's the best thing - we're all different! We're all good!

8. DarioArgento

DarioArgento

Feb 27, 2017
    Any love for imperial stouts?

[​IMG]

FirefighterDoc likes this.
  9. mauricekenter

mauricekenter 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Round Rock, TX
    I prefer stouts. The 22oz bombers will knock you on your ass, but you can just put a wine topper on it and drink the 2nd glass the next day without any problem. Clown Shoes has been my drink of choice lately. Especially the "exorcism at sunset"

[​IMG]

DarioArgento and Apollyon like this.
  10. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    April 7 - National Beer Day! Hoist an indeterminate amount in honor!