Unexpected outcomes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unfrozencaveman

not a dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good stories yet of getting in somewhere totally unexpected?

Members don't see this ad.

Nowhere unexpected really but getting 3 MD interview invites pre-October 15 was hugely unexpected for me (see profile!).

Don't sell yourself short- your profile seems solid to me! Congrats on the interviews!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't expect San Antonio to be as interested in me. I'm totally thrilled by it, though. They were my original dream school.

already have 1 acceptance as an out-of-stater, reapplicant and 28P MCAT. pretty stoked. i had already began studying for the mcat again. anyone need kaplan mcat books???

unfrozencaveman said:
Anyone have any good stories yet of getting in somewhere totally unexpected?

Do they have to be good stories? ;)

Basically I was waiting for someone to validate my outlandish dreams of slipping through the cracks at Harvard or some such.

Conversely, everyone always loves an old "rejected at my safety" story...

unfrozencaveman said:
Basically I was waiting for someone to validate my outlandish dreams of slipping through the cracks at Harvard or some such.

Conversely, everyone always loves an old "rejected at my safety" story...
Well, I got put on hold at GW which was my LAST LAST choice (not that it's a bad school at all, I just didn't want to pay $60,000 a year to attend a school when my cheap in-state schools were just as good). I debated and debated for a long time about whether to turn in the secondary, seeing as how $100 is not cheap. Finally decided to turn it in.

PLACED ON HOLD. Along with half the free world.

Oh well. What else could I have spent that money on, besides food, clothing, movies, bowling, clubs, plane tickets, rent, or the electricity bill?

MrBurns10 said:
Oh well. What else could I have spent that money on, besides food, clothing, movies, bowling, clubs, plane tickets, rent, or the electricity bill?

I bet that dungeons and dragons webring you maintain gets pretty pricey as well.

unfrozencaveman said:
I bet that dungeons and dragons webring you maintain gets pretty pricey as well.
True, but your gold-card membership really helps a lot. And just so you know, new D&D apparel is being shipped today! Be sure to order yours before I kick you down to silver-card status.

<insert renaissance fair joke here>

I got a secondary at UCSF ... totally unexpected.

I interviewed at a ton of places, and I thought my worst performance was at Ohio State. My first ever interview I was pretty relaxed. OSU was my second interview but for some reason I was really nervous. I think it was also because I didn't feel comfortable with my interviewer b/c he was more stern. Well, I thought it went bad b/c I was stumbling over my words throughout the interview b/c I was nervous. He asked me a question on something I gave a talk on and I was like "I dont know". And I read interview feedback and I expected a certain question b/c everyone was asked that. And even though I expected it, when he asked me, I couldn't answer. I was like um, uh, um, uh for bit and then tried to give a response. When I wasn't being coherent in my answer, I was like, wait, let me start over again. Okay, yeah definitely not a good experience. So I thought at most I'd get was waitlisted. I mean, c'mon! So I was completely shocked to find out that I got accepted!

So bottom line, don't expect anything! Hopefully it gives some of you SDNers hope if you felt like you bombed an interview ;)

I applied rather early and had three interviews prior to 0ct 1st (Upstate, Stony Brook, NYMC). I have been accepted to stony brook and upstate, which surprised me because I have 280. Especially surprised at Stony Brook because my interviewer specifically told me that they look long and hard at MCAT. I guess my 3.9 GPA helped buffer.

Don't sell yourself short- your profile seems solid to me! Congrats on the interviews!!

aww muchos gracias :)