Unfair advantage for those who DO have relatives at the school????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gpan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed all the schools ask us to list any relatives affiliate with the schools. Is this gonna help those applicants who do have someone on the inside to get in easier than those who don't? If so, that's totally unfair.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed all the schools ask us to list any relatives affiliate with the schools. Is this gonna help those applicants who do have someone on the inside to get in easier than those who don't? If so, that's totally unfair.:mad:

The application process is almost completely subjective process. It's not worth getting upset about this, because it's very unlikely that this will affect you personally.

The application process is almost completely subjective process. It's not worth getting upset about this, because it's very unlikely that this will affect you personally.
If they give preference to those people, then it does affect me personally and others too.

Members don't see this ad :)
panic.gif

If they give preference to those people, then it does affect me personally and others too.

It's neither a huge advantage nor a huge disadvantage. It's just one piece of information about you which may help you a little. Don't stress over things you cannot control.

They are called legacies. Pretty much every school has them - professional, undergrad, heck - even private high schools. Not sure if it equates to an automatic in, but if you aren't in this category it's not worth worrying about. There's no way for you to "fix" the situation.

Of all the things to worry about in this process, I'd say that this one has a very minimal affect. Basically don't waste your time or energy on this.

The odds of you and a student with a legacy advantage competing for one spot are probably one-million to one.

I imagine that part of it might be there to actually keep things fair; in other words, make sure the admissions board isn't made up entirely of your family members. But it's probably mostly just there to give people who do have family there more of an advantage; that way they don't have to waste essay space trying to come up with a way of saying "Daddy went/works here, let me in," in a way that doesn't sound pathetic and annoying. The up-shot is that ALL admissions essays are pathetic and annoying, so I doubt it's all that much of an advantage.

just because youhave connections, doesnt mean that they are gonna let in crappy ppl.

sorry to break it to you, but: life is unfair, get used to it. you are prob very young and full of naive idealism, but it is better to learn this earlier than later.

omg really?

and here I thought it was all bunnies and smiles.

(but really, OP, this is really the least of your concerns)

Hmm, I know somebody who would have the legacy advantage...she got waitlisted at that school...and ultimately did not get in. I doubt that this is really worth worrying about--you can't change who you are related to.

:laugh: LOL!

OP, it's called "legacy". It probably gives some people a slight edge. For example, my legacy at Northwestern got me a nicer, more detailed rejection letter. :thumbup:

But perhaps it can help a little bit if you're borderline and on the waitlist.

is it not like college where legacy was a golden ticket? I knew this once girl who had hexagonal legacy at Harvard.