Unfilled ACGME spots

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by RBorhani, Oct 3, 1999.

1. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician

Does anyone have the link for the 1998 unfilled ACGME spots. I know the 1999 is not available on the net but the 1998 was as I recall. If you have it can you email me the link please.. thanks..

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited October 04, 1999).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member

Attending Physician
    1999 unfilled slots are posted on the net. Check the AAMC site.

4. RBorhani

The 1999 results were only available to people who had registered with the match in 1999. You can also buy the 1999 results from WWW.AAMC.ORG 1998 MATCH RESULTS ARE available at no cost on the web.

P.S. I found the web page for the 1998 match last night it is: http://eraspo6.aamc.org/nrmp/nrmpmat/results/rsbkmnu2.htm

If there is a free web page for 1999 match results please post it.. I sure cant find it....

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited October 04, 1999).]

5. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If I find my access code, I will post it or send to you. I will not be able to look prior to this weekend.

6. yogi

yogi Member

Dr. Borhani,

When I see see that there were unfilled slots in Internal Medicine at UCSF, for example, does that imply
    that it is not a competitive program?

Is there a guide to what the various codes mean?

How do you find out whether or not a program
    is competitive?

7. RBorhani

Go to this page to see what the codes mean: http://eraspo6.aamc.org/nrmp/nrmpmat/results/termdef.htm

Unfilled does not necessarily mean not competitive. Some programs rank only applicants that they want (i.e. they rather have an unfilled spot than to fill the spot with an undesirable applicant).
    Some programs also feel they can get better residents through the scramble than they would if they ranked people that they are unsure about. i.e. programs have to send in a rank order sheet just like the residents...

For example lets say SF IM Program has 8 spots. They interview 100 applicants but they only rank the top 12 applicants that they liked. Now if out of these 12 ranked applicants 5 decide to go elsewhere, SF will be left with one empty spot.

To see which programs are competitive I would ask senior residents/attending docs. I would also check out the stats for the program on FREIDA online and the stats I would check are: Pass rate on the specialty board, number of applicants vs. number of interviews granted vs. number of people acceptet, number of full time preceptors, etc..
    you can get this info on all ACGME programs at: http://www.ama-assn.org/cgi-bin/freida/freida.cgi

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited October 13, 1999).]