Unfilled categorical programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some statistics regarding what programs for categorical candidates went unfilled this year for general surgery. There were about 6 and one of them was the University of Kentucky and I can't recall the rest. Anyway, were these the only programs left before or after the scramble?

Members don't see this ad.

Back34 said:
I have some statistics regarding what programs for categorical candidates went unfilled this year for general surgery. There were about 6 and one of them was the University of Kentucky and I can't recall the rest. Anyway, were these the only programs left before or after the scramble?

They were the only ones available prior to and filled quickly during the scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane also did not fill. Also, a UCLA Plastics spot did not fill. I believe the rest were community programs; one in Chicago, Michigan and D.C.

The Tulane program has truly fallen on hard times; I heard it used to be an excellent program and McSwain is still highly regarded in academic circles.

UCLA plastics didnt fill due to a coding error. Wrong code in paperwork=no match

Our faculty warned me away from Tulane - said that the program has been in flux for some time. He's seen students match there when strong and then the program falls apart by the time they finish, and visa versa.

Roux-en-Y said:
Tulane also did not fill. Also, a UCLA Plastics spot did not fill. I believe the rest were community programs; one in Chicago, Michigan and D.C.

The Tulane program has truly fallen on hard times; I heard it used to be an excellent program and McSwain is still highly regarded in academic circles.