unfurnished apartments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just got an apartment up at SF, and was wondering in general what people do about furnitures(bed, desks, etc.). Seems like ikea and bed bath and beyond are close by, but everything seems so expensive!!!! are there any used furniture networks for pennyless student like me :(

Members don't see this ad.

There has to be an IKEA nearby!! We're getting one in AZ soon!

Yeah...it'll be close, but not close enough since it's going in in Tempe.

Members don't see this ad :)
true there is ikea nearby, but even they seem to over charge!!!!!

IKEA's probably going to be your cheapest bet for new furniture. Goodwill and the Salvation Army can also have some cheap used furniture. Sometimes they get really good stuff from people who are simply upgrading. Also, look in the newspaper for people who are moving and needing to get rid of furniture cheap. Good luck!

~Pam

we just got a new texas sized ikea!! they're tearing down the old one and building a parking garage. it's crazy during the twice a year sale cause people park on the grass and any place that their car will fit. i went mad and bought a bunch of stuff i probably shouldn't have and now it's all sitting in my garage cause i'm not moving until next month. :D

like Trancelucent1 said, check the papers and places like garage sales and flea markets. you could always steal your parent's stuff. :p

for cheap, used furniture check out craigslist.org..it's kinda like ebay but simpler.

Definitely use Craiglist, it's very good in the Bay area. But usually you will need friends with a truck to move the stuff, or you could plan it all out in one day and rent a uhall.
There is an IKEA in Emeryville, but make sure to either go very early in the morning or on weekday's to beat the crowds. They use to have this 20% off thing for students, but I'm not sure if they have it anymore.

I moved to SF recently too and am having the same problem. I'm perfectly willing to get used furniture but I have no way of getting it to my house. Oh well I'll just have to rope visiting family and friends into helping me. Although I did recently purchase a brand new bed and frame for ~220 in town.