unhappy with performance in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvin harris

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first year dental student and I am currently very unhappy with my performance. I'm able to scrape by and get B's and C's in most of the easier subjects (Neuro, Ortho classes, Dental Anatomy, etc) and I got a B in gross anatomy, but I'm currently failing my physiology class and I'm not sure how I can do better... I study every night after school and all weekend but for some reason this isn't translating onto my exams. Do any older students have advice on what I can do to calm down and get through the semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
pass theory, focus on clinical, learn about the business side of dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd consider going to the instructors and asking for their advice. Do you have any released exams? Most schools have oldies of some sort - be careful as this might be a touchy subject with some professors! Physio is much more about how things work - sometimes you need to work in a study group and try to explain things to each other, this helped me a lot. Studying by yourself can be less effective sometimes. I find it funny how everyone considers different classes, at my school our Physio instructor was amazing, and it was a fairly straightforward class, and Head and Neck Anatomy / Neuro Anatomy was one of the hardest classes at our school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Older students tell me school's a marathon although it's a cliche. Just try not to drop the ball and maintain your work ethic. I slipped and may get a B or 2 (hopefully not) on some science courses but we'll see. It's hard to maintain the standards you set first semester. Good luck

Hello,

I am a first year dental student and I am currently very unhappy with my performance. I'm able to scrape by and get B's and C's in most of the easier subjects (Neuro, Ortho classes, Dental Anatomy, etc) and I got a B in gross anatomy, but I'm currently failing my physiology class and I'm not sure how I can do better... I study every night after school and all weekend but for some reason this isn't translating onto my exams. Do any older students have advice on what I can do to calm down and get through the semester?
B’s and C’s aren’t bad imo. Don’t let the basic science classes discourage you. The thing about dental students is that most had high undergrad GPAs and are used to making A’s on everything so its easy to get discouraged when they're used to performing really well. Just understand that most of the basic sciences are just important NBDE1 and not much else. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Reactions: 1 user