Uni. Melbourne Dental Admissions - Acceptance: How long does it take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informatique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to U.S. dental schools this summer and the University of Melbourne in August. I think Melbourne cashed my check about 2 weeks ago.

Our school system in the states is a bit different and the first semester begins in August. I believe if I get accepted into Melbourne, then the first semester will begin around Feb./March. Even if I get accepted to a school in the states, I think I would head off to Melbourne if I am to be accepted. It's a major commitment and change, so I'm still giving it some thought.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from them regarding your acceptance status? I'll be interviewing at U.S. schools this fall/winter and the first round of acceptances are delayed until Dec. 1. I'm hoping to hear back from Melbourne soon, so I can figure out how to manage my interviews and such here.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to U.S. dental schools this summer and the University of Melbourne in August. I think Melbourne cashed my check about 2 weeks ago.

Our school system in the states is a bit different and the first semester begins in August. I believe if I get accepted into Melbourne, then the first semester will begin around Feb./March. Even if I get accepted to a school in the states, I think I would head off to Melbourne if I am to be accepted. It's a major commitment and change, so I'm still giving it some thought.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from them regarding your acceptance status? I'll be interviewing at U.S. schools this fall/winter and the first round of acceptances are delayed until Dec. 1. I'm hoping to hear back from Melbourne soon, so I can figure out how to manage my interviews and such here.

Yes, both school systems start in the fall. The Southern Hemisphere of our planet has their fall in Feb-March. :D

Why didn't you apply to Sydney? Do you not have an undergraduate degree yet?

Not sure how long it takes.. sorry. I would suggest emailing the school and asking them "politely" when you can expect to hear back from them regarding admissions decisions.:thumbup:

I'll be graduating with a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Chemistry this December. I missed the application deadline for Sydney because I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply to OZ schools at that point in time.

Melbourne's program doesn't seem that bad from the research that I've done, so I opted to apply to their program since their deadline for applications is mid-October. I figure it won't take too long to hear back from them since there is no interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be graduating with a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Chemistry this December. I missed the application deadline for Sydney because I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply to OZ schools at that point in time.

Melbourne's program doesn't seem that bad from the research that I've done, so I opted to apply to their program since their deadline for applications is mid-October. I figure it won't take too long to hear back from them since there is no interview process.

Gotcha.. Yeah, Sydney tends to put a lot more emphasis on interviews. Melbourne is a good program and I know there are a few Canadians (not sure about Americans) who are currently studying there. :thumbup:

Good luck!

Hey informatique,

I'm currently in the BDSc program at the University of Melbourne, and I'm completing my first year here.

If you've got any questions about the program, ask away.

hey informatique,

I thought I'd briefly share my experience with applying to Melb with you- I applied for med, and applied directly to the school in May. My application was received by International Admissions, my cheque was cashed, and I was given an applicant number. I was due to hear about interviews in "early October", as an international applicant, so when nothing surfaced (either 'yay' or 'nay') by mid-October, I got a little concerned. I phoned the Int'l Admissions Officer in the med faculty, and it turns out, he never received my application. Int'l Admissions never send it to Med, so that delayed things a ton. Even though interviews are over for med, I never got word of a final decision.

So, although I'm not sure through which route you applied (directly to the school or not), it wouldn't hurt to have a follow-up call/email as suggested by Dr. Millisevert, just to make sure your application is where it needs to be and is seen by the right people.

When I called, they were quite pleasant and I didn't feel like I was bothering them at all (unlike the response you get from a lot of U.S. schools when you try and contact the admissions office!).

Hope this was helpful in some way!
Cheers

I'd say mid to late November. It's always good to just give them a call.