Uni. of Illinois vs Rutgers RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeltzerFan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between University of Illinois vs Rutgers RWJ.

I actually haven't been accepted to either yet - my decision for Illinois will be known next month, and I have an interview at RWJ in a couple months.

The reason I'm making this thread is because I'm in a lot of debt from doing applications/flights to other interviews already (I've been waitlisted at all the other schools I've interviewed at), and it'd be nice to save money by not going to RWJ. Of course, if I had more money, I'd definitely go to the RWJ interview. (just to clarify - if I get rejected/waitlisted at Illinois, then I'll still go to the RWJ interview).

I'm OOS for both schools.

To clarify one last time - I'm just wondering if there's any reason to go to the Rutgers interview IF I get accepted at University of Illinois. Hopefully this makes sense lol.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely understand the financial challenges, and congratulations on the number of interviews! But, I think given the fact that you're wait-listed everywhere else, it might help to get some options to choose between before waitlist movement.

UIC's match list is excellent (COM Chicago Match Results)

If you do get accepted. And, if finances are the same, I would recommend choosing UIC (provided you liked the campus, interview day, opportunities, etc...). However, UIC's OOS tuition is astronomically high, and I know many of my friends who didn't apply because of this. They do say that they can help OOS students with financial aid and essentially have them pay IS rate, but I don't know the number of OOS students who get IS tuition.

Therefore, I recommend going to interview at RWJ if you feel uncomfortable with the OOS tuition rate for UIC. Another thing to note is that UIC has three satellite campuses - Chicago, Rockford, and Peoria. While you can place a priority (most put Chicago as their first, I believe), it is not guaranteed that you will study there.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely understand the financial challenges, and congratulations on the number of interviews! But, I think given the fact that you're wait-listed everywhere else, it might help to get some options to choose between before waitlist movement.

UIC's match list is excellent ()

If you do get accepted. And, if finances are the same, I would recommend choosing UIC (provided you liked the campus, interview day, opportunities, etc...). However, UIC's OOS tuition is astronomically high, and I know many of my friends who didn't apply because of this. They do say that they can help OOS students with financial aid and essentially have them pay IS rate, but I don't know the number of OOS students who get IS tuition.

Therefore, I recommend going to interview at RWJ if you feel uncomfortable with the OOS tuition rate for UIC. Another thing to note is that UIC has three satellite campuses - Chicago, Rockford, and Peoria. While you can place a priority (most put Chicago as their first, I believe), it is not guaranteed that you will study there.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you!