UNIBE med school in D.R.:Any opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hernh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone in the forum know whether coming back to the U.S. for residencey from UNIBE is close to impossible because of past fraud in other medical schools in Santo Domingo, DR? I would think that U.S. residency programs might be hesitant because of this past problem in the other med schools. Or would I be better off applying to another caribbean med school to be on the safe side?
I would like to study pathology, would this give me a certain edge in getting residency in Miami (my home town) or in any other state?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have many uncertainties.

Note: Please reply in regards to my questions and not scrutinizing carib med schools or anything similar.
Thank you for your considerations.

Members don't see this ad.

The power of the sword can indeed be wielded for good. In my perspective, when CONES, the edu authority of the DR, stepped in to correct med school ordeal there, they did just that, correct it. They imposed the same pensum on all DR med schools, allowing only minor variation (e.g. biochem in 2 semesters and anatomy in 1, vice-versa). UNIBE is legit, though other things could be said. One thing is for sure, you will get lots of HANDS ON training in the clinicals. My exposure to the situation is that Americans from there who pass the USMLEs do find something for a residency.

Thank you very much. This will clarify a few of my uncertainties.
Take Care