Uniformed Services of the University of the Health Sciences

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Fiddlergirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd like to apply to this medical school, but I'm worried about the physical requirements. I found the appendix that lists the requirements, but I'm not clear on what a "retained orthopedic fixation device" is. I've got a metal plate in my ankle from surgery as a child which prevents me from doing any long distance running or jumping off anything more than a foot or two off the ground. Should I bother applying?

91Bravo

Frank Netter's Love Child
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
Iowa
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't bother applying. It sounds like it would be very difficult to obtain a waiver given your limitations. Good luck with your application cycle.

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
D.C.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think this would pose a problem as you have PT at officer training in addition to other physical activities (such as being deployed) which last throughout your carreer however you really need to contact the school and find out directly.

About the Ads

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I'd be more concerned about being screwed over repeatedly while serving back your committment. I would read the Military Medicine Forum quite thoroughly before ever considering such an idea.

Fiddlergirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thank you all for your advice. I'm still going to try for a waiver, but given what I've learned here and other places I don't expect to succeed. I would never forgive myself if I didn't try, though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.