Uniformed Services University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if military service is required after graduation? If so, for how long are you obligated to the U.S. government?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if military service is required after graduation? If so, for how long are you obligated to the U.S. government?

Yes, military service is required --- this school is more geared toward applicants that want to make it their career to serve the military has a doctor. Expect at least 10 years in the military if accept this option.

For some, it's a wonderful choice --- others, not so much.

run a google search for 'usuhs obligation' - the first hit has a nice summary/side-by-side comparison of USUHS and HPSP, including service obligations.

to answer your question, yes, you have to serve, and the commitment is at least year-for-year, i.e., one year "payback" for every year of scholarship received. that commitment varies with service (Navy has obligatory General Medical Officer service) and with the extent to which you get financial help (if receiving officer pay as a resident you have to payback years for that, too).

i'm interviewing at USUHS and applying to HPSP for both Army and Navy. if you're really interested, you can message me to find out more, but perhaps more useful to you, check out the Military Medicine forum on this website, and start talking to military docs!