Unique activities during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singingpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dual degree program (just started this summer), so I will be at my school a lot longer than normal. I recently read several articles about how medical residency directors look for interpersonal skills, leadership, ability to work with others, and additional "soft qualities." I have been thinking about a couple of acitivites that I am truly interested in outside of school but was wondering how they would be perceived by a residency director. These are all activities I like to do (not just app padding here), so I'm looking to pick one that is desirable as well.

Toastmasters
Remain involved as an alumn of my sorority
Associate with a religious order (I'm a religious person and will associate with one that gives healthcare to the underserved. I believe this would renew me spiritually to give better care to patients. This is a non-vowed, lay commitment only.)
Participate in a community service club outside of school

Just curious if any of these would be more desirable than others by residency directors. Again, these are all things I'm interested in but just unfortunately don't have time to do more than one with my school obligations.

P.S. I am involved in a few orgs at school but enjoy getting off campus and away from school sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hanging out with friends and just having fun was my favorite unique activity. Spent weekends snowboarding during the winter and just going out and having fun during the summer.