Unique Class - unsure how to include in AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindsey Freeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my undergrad institution offers a pretty unique summer course. It's a human cadaver lab, so we're performing dissections on human bodies. I am enrolled in it right now, but I am submitting my AMCAS in about 3 weeks, so my question is this: should I just list it as a future course under the course section on AMCAS, or should I somehow include it in my activities section/secondaries/somewhere I'm not thinking of/etc.? Or just save it for the interview if I make it that far?

I ask because it's just called Anatomy 5300 or something like that, which doesn't really showcase the unique (and I think relatively impressive?) experience just by the name.

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol at using your full name as username. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
So my undergrad institution offers a pretty unique summer course. It's a human cadaver lab, so we're performing dissections on human bodies. I am enrolled in it right now, but I am submitting my AMCAS in about 3 weeks, so my question is this: should I just list it as a future course under the course section on AMCAS, or should I somehow include it in my activities section/secondaries/somewhere I'm not thinking of/etc.? Or just save it for the interview if I make it that far?

I ask because it's just called Anatomy 5300 or something like that, which doesn't really showcase the unique (and I think relatively impressive?) experience just by the name.

Thanks, guys!
There is nothing overly impressive about having a human cadaver lab as an undergraduate, and some schools even recommend AGAINST taking anatomy before medical school. If your grade wont' be posted on the transcript you send to AMCAS, you should list it as a future course, and if it will be posted by the time you hit the submit button, go ahead and list it like you would any other class. This isn't going to give you any real edge in the application process, so you are over-thinking it a bit.

I listed a class in my activities section - no biggie. The class was a group of about 8 students that got picked to help our professor write and edit a layman's book on evolution. Kinda cool and different that had some relevance to tother themes in my application, so I didn't see any harm in it (granted, no one asked about it in my interviews, so I don't know how much good it did me either). Anyhow, I think it's fine if you have some extra space in your activities section and the class is pretty variant from the norm.

Thanks, guys!
I don't think that human cadaver dissection by itself is considered particularly unique or impressive...it's unfathomably interesting to someone like me or you, sure, but it's neither uncommon nor particularly taxing academically.
Treat it as any other course.

PS if that is actually your name (I assume it is not), then the first poster was offering you advice...probably the most important bit of it you'll find anywhere: don't put your real name as any internet username.