Unique opportunity to learn about Osteopathic Medicine at University of Waterloo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashmetoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

THINKING OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE?
The Canadian Osteopathic Medical Student Association (COMSA) and Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) are proud to present this unique opportunity to learn about osteopathic medicine from the perspective of current Canadian DO students. Information will be provided on what makes osteopathic medicine unique, what schools look for in an application, how to shadow DOs in Canada, academic requirements, and returning to Canada to practice as a licensed physician. Presented by current Canadian DO candidates and the Director of Admissions for Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM) on Weds, May 29, 5:30-7:00 p.m., Tatham Centre, University of Waterloo. Please visit www.studentdo.ca for more information.

ALL ARE WELCOME!

Members don't see this ad.

Reminder - this event is happening this Wednesday!
All are welcome - the presenters have been told to let everyone in! Not just UofWaterloo students.

I'm going to be completely honest here, i just don't see what Osteopathic Medicine actually BRINGS to the table as far as medicine is concerned. Most DOs don't really use OMM in their day to day practices. As far as i'm concerned Canada needs more medical schools but they should be allopathic not DO.

I'm going to be completely honest here, i just don't see what Osteopathic Medicine actually BRINGS to the table as far as medicine is concerned. Most DOs don't really use OMM in their day to day practices. As far as i'm concerned Canada needs more medical schools but they should be allopathic not DO.

It'd be great if there were more MD schools in Canada and it'd be awesome if there were more spots opened up in the existing schools... but it's not happening.

US DO schools provide yet another route for people to become physicians. As a DO physiatry resident who plans on completing either a pain or sports medicine fellowship, I'll likely use OMM occasionally in the right patient as an adjunct to proper therapy prescription, medications, injections, etc. The majority of my med school classmates never use OMM and that's absolutely fine. But, they're residents practicing medicine in every specialty in the game and not delaying things, working on a PhD, and waiting for another crack at the MCAT.

Just my two cents!