Unique Question About Unique Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarednogeek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this concise

cGPA 3.98
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 513 (127 in Biology then 128/129/129 in other sections)
white
good volunteering/leadership with underserved populations,
50 hours shadowing
only research was part of a course and I presented a poster

Here are the parts of my application that worry me:
Did an early entrance college program where I got 60 college credits in highschool (12-19 credits/semester), and thus took mainly 12-13 credit semesters during University for my last 3 years- - but my graduating semester was 15 hours (will this be looked down upon?)

Withdrew from school and received like 5 W's the semester before I graduated to help my dad with his eventually unsuccessful local political campaign, which he started to fight discrimination against his minority coworkers, he lost his job etc long story (will this dramatically weaken my app since I dropped a semester so close to graduation?)

My main question is that as a Texas Resident will these factors require me to also apply OOS or DO to strengthen my chances? I don't want to be blindsided during the application cycle but would like to remain in Texas

thank you for your help, really looking for an ADCOM's opinion, good luck 2018-2019 applicants

Members don't see this ad.

You have nothing to worry about!

It is a common pre-med delusion that one has to finish undergraduate school in exactly 4 years.

You did exactly what the withdrawals are for,

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine -- That's just pre-med neuroses talking.
No need to apply outside of Texas unless you want to.

Reactions: 2 users
You have nothing to worry about!

It is a common pre-med delusion that one has to finish undergraduate school in exactly 4 years.

You did exactly what the withdrawals are for,
thanks for the help

You're fine -- That's just pre-med neuroses talking.
No need to apply outside of Texas unless you want to.
Just to caveat, very few Texans go to medical school outside of Texas unless they are attending do schools. That's because MD schools know from historic Norms that very few people leave the Lone Star State to go to medical school.

Stay in Texas. The best there is, has been, or ever will be. No, I’m not biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay in Texas. The best there is, has been, or ever will be. No, I’m not biased.

Haha, I have a lot of family living overseas, but it's hard to imagine living and working outside of this great state.

Haha, I have a lot of family living overseas, but it's hard to imagine living and working outside of this great state.

I tried it and didn’t last two years in NYC. Great to visit and hang, but seriously, nothing beats TX COL, pay/benefits, taxes, job prospects, sports.

Reactions: 1 users
I can find TX on a map but otherwise don't know anything about it; completely in the dark regarding admissions process in the Republic of TX.

Reactions: 1 users