Unique situation! committee letter quesion Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkprodigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma here.
It looks like it's going to be a long post, but here I go!

I graduated from my undergraduate 3 years ago with BS in biology, but with a very very horrible GPA. Since then, I did research for 3 years where I gained a tremendous amount of research experience (surgical/neurosurgical skills + lab skills etc) and published journals, posters, and abstracts.

I have taken the MCAT last august and scored a 30S (will retake this july or august). Also, I took 3 graduate level biotech courses in which I got all A's. I have shadowed physician and volunteered at the hospital. I applied to 6 SMP programs for this fall, and in the meantime, I re-enrolled in my undergraduate to take some upper level science courses which I expect to get A's in all 5 courses.

Now onto the problem,
I want to apply to a few schools this cycle while I am doing the SMP (if I get accepted). So by then, I will have 1 semester SMP grade + horrible undergraduate GPA + 3 A's in biotech + 5 A's in undergraduate science.
I can have upto 6 VERY good individual letters from doctors I worked with.
I can also get 2 science professors this semester to write me a letter.
Will it benefit me if I get the committee letter at this point?
Keep in mind that I do not think the committee will have 1 positive thing to say about me if they focus their evaluation based on my undergraduate performance.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a dilemma here.
It looks like it's going to be a long post, but here I go!

I graduated from my undergraduate 3 years ago with BS in biology, but with a very very horrible GPA. Since then, I did research for 3 years where I gained a tremendous amount of research experience (surgical/neurosurgical skills + lab skills etc) and published journals, posters, and abstracts.

I have taken the MCAT last august and scored a 30S (will retake this july or august). Also, I took 3 graduate level biotech courses in which I got all A's. I have shadowed physician and volunteered at the hospital. I applied to 6 SMP programs for this fall, and in the meantime, I re-enrolled in my undergraduate to take some upper level science courses which I expect to get A's in all 5 courses.

Now onto the problem,
I want to apply to a few schools this cycle while I am doing the SMP (if I get accepted). So by then, I will have 1 semester SMP grade + horrible undergraduate GPA + 3 A's in biotech + 5 A's in undergraduate science.
I can have upto 6 VERY good individual letters from doctors I worked with.
I can also get 2 science professors this semester to write me a letter.
Will it benefit me if I get the committee letter at this point?
Keep in mind that I do not think the committee will have 1 positive thing to say about me if they focus their evaluation based on my undergraduate performance.

Advice?

How bad is your undergrad GPA? If it is less than 2.8, you will probably have to retake several of your undergrad science classes to take advantage of AACOMAS grade forgiveness...But without more info it is hard to give good advice...Best of luck!