Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gattacas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I tried using the search engine for this one but I think it's very case-specific.

I'm a transfer student from UC Davis to UC Irvine, and i'm having trouble with some of the prerequisites for medical school. I'll try to explain the situation as well as possible.

At UC Davis, the organic chemistry series I take is 118 A - B - C (Davis is on the quarter system.. as is Irvine). The labs for these classes are coupled with the 118 B and C classes, but not the A class. At UC Irvine, the o-chem series I take is 51 - A - B - C. The labs that I need to take for medical school are 51 LA (lab A) and 51 LB. There is lab for part "C" of the course, but that's generally intended for pharmacy people. Now here's the problem:

I finished 118A and 118B + Lab at UC Davis.. remember 118A doesn't have a lab. At UC Irvine, this translated over to 51 A + 51 LA + 51 B + 51 LB. So, the only class I had to take at UC Irvine was 51 C (not the lab, just the lecture). As you can see, I got "credit" for taking two quarters of labs on paper, but in reality I only took one quarter of it.

That's one situation, and here's the other one with physics. I"ll try to simplify

at Davis the series we take is: 7A - B - C. All with lab
at Irvine the series we take is: 3A - B - C. All with lab

Took 7A at Davis, with lab. At UCI, got credit for 3A, 3LA (lab A), and 3LB. Only had to take 3B and 3C, and 3LC at UC Irvine. Again, got credit for taking two labs which shows on the transcript. When I complete 3LC, I will have only technically completed two labs.

My question is then, should I go about retaking these lab classes somewhere? I don't know if I'd be able to backtrack and retake them at my school,although I can ask. I already asked a counselor and they were as useless as ever for me, so I thought I'd direct the question to yall. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, I realize this is a huge mess haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the credit and run!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'd definitely take it, I am just wondering if they'll see past it that I did not complete the labs

Oh I'd definitely take it, I am just wondering if they'll see past it that I did not complete the labs

Your schools requirements and AMCAS requirements are not the same. On AMCAS you will have to enter all of your undergrad classes. UCI gave you credit, but you still only physically took 1 quarter of O-Chem lab so on your AMCAS there will only be 1 O-Chem lab listed. Someone manually reviewing your application will only see that 1 OChem lab and likely say that you don't have sufficient pre-reqs done. I think this could be a significant issue for you since most schools require the equivalent of 1 year of Ochem and physics lab. You should try your pre-med advising office (maybe they'll be helpful since you have a med school there too) and see if this will impact your application.

Are all of the labs necessary to fulfill the pre-requisites on your transcript? I thought that's what you were saying. If they're complete, you have nothing to worry about.

Take the other O Chem lab? At UCI I don't think they care if you're enrolled in the lecture as well.

As for physics, for sure take the second quarter of that lab. Physics lab is the easiest lab you'll ever take at UCI. Easy, but REALLY boring.

Your schools requirements and AMCAS requirements are not the same. On AMCAS you will have to enter all of your undergrad classes. UCI gave you credit, but you still only physically took 1 quarter of O-Chem lab so on your AMCAS there will only be 1 O-Chem lab listed. Someone manually reviewing your application will only see that 1 OChem lab and likely say that you don't have sufficient pre-reqs done. I think this could be a significant issue for you since most schools require the equivalent of 1 year of Ochem and physics lab. You should try your pre-med advising office (maybe they'll be helpful since you have a med school there too) and see if this will impact your application.

I agree with nogo. The med schools will figure it out and you wouldn't want to risk that. I would talk to one of the counselors at UCI and tell them your situation.

How exactly do they show up on your transcripts?

On the transcript it would just say:

118A and 118B for UC Davis
51A, 51LabA, 51B, 51LabB, 51C for UCI

So I got credit for the labs, and it looks like I completed them, but I only really have 1 quarter under my belt.

For physics;

UCD: 7A (lab is included)
UCI: 3A, 3LA, 3LB equivalent to 7A at UCD . I completed 3B at UCI, and am in the process of completing 3C and 3LC.

Yes, these labs are required for the prereqs. I've only physically completed 1 ochem lab out of a required 2. I've only also completed 2 physics labs out of a required 3.

On the transcript it would just say:

118A and 118B for UC Davis
51A, 51LabA, 51B, 51LabB, 51C for UCI

So I got credit for the labs, and it looks like I completed them, but I only really have 1 quarter under my belt.

For physics;

UCD: 7A (lab is included)
UCI: 3A, 3LA, 3LB equivalent to 7A at UCD . I completed 3B at UCI, and am in the process of completing 3C and 3LC.

Yes, these labs are required for the prereqs. I've only physically completed 1 ochem lab out of a required 2. I've only also completed 2 physics labs out of a required 3.

I don't know, if it's listed on your transcript then it will look to schools like you took them. I would still talk to someone in the advising office if you can, the last thing you want is to find out senior year that you need an ochem lab...

Hmmm... The problem is, it doesn't indicate which quarter you took them and if they look back at your UCD transcripts, they will see you only took 1 lab instead of 2 or whatever. Plus, how would you input these courses into AMCAS? It asks which quarter you took them. And if it deviates from anything on your transcripts, there's going to be a problem.

OP, maybe try calling some admissions offices at medical school and talk to the advisors at UCI. Med schools aren't too lenient when it comes to prereqs, so don't let this come back to haunt you!

tl;dr, but "unique situation" has become the most ubiquitous thread title in all SDNdom, and whenever I read one of these it turns out to be some whiny freshman hyperventilating about grades.

I don't know why, but I always expect something truly unique. Like a velociraptor enrolled in your school's pre-med program that kills and eats students who score higher than it on tests.

Though I suppose "clever girl" would be the more apt title for that thread.

tl;dr, but "unique situation" has become the most ubiquitous thread title in all SDNdom, and whenever I read one of these it turns out to be some whiny freshman hyperventilating about grades.

I don't know why, but I always expect something truly unique. Like a velociraptor enrolled in your school's pre-med program that kills and eats students who score higher than it on tests.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lol, BadHorse

I used to have a writing professor who always told that Jurassic Park story of "clever girl" and encouraged us to submit to him an essay that made him go "Clever girl...." when he read it. Needless to say, none of us ever did :(

Thanks everyone for all of your help.