United Healthcare implementing CDC recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melodic minor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got notification from United Healthcare that they are going to require prior authorization for non cancer patients that are on more than 90 morphine daily meQ's. I can't imagine that the other insurers won't follow suit.

Members don't see this ad.

at least you can now blame it on the insurance companies

how will you handle folks that want <90 MED written Rx which they pay for with insurance, and want to pay cash for the rest?

at least you can now blame it on the insurance companies

how will you handle folks that want <90 MED written Rx which they pay for with insurance, and want to pay cash for the rest?

If, in your professional judgement, you assess that the therapy is medically indicated then what does it matter to you about the financing? It sounds like a problem between the Insured and their insurance company.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If, in your professional judgement, you assess that the therapy is medically indicated then what does it matter to you about the financing? It sounds like a problem between the Insured and their insurance company.

I agree, if the medication is indicated.

just posing the question as it is supposed to be a "red flag" when patients pay for their controlled substances using cash. (disclaimer: I can count on one hand the number of patients in my practice even close to 90 MED)

just posing the question as it is supposed to be a "red flag" when patients pay for their controlled substances using cash. (disclaimer: I can count on one hand the number of patients in my practice even close to 90 MED)

That particular flag must have been "discovered" prior to the ACA high deductible plan, prior to benefit pharmacy management companies, and prior to "fail first" barriers instituted by health plans. Back in the day when everyone had great insurance that covered brand-name prescription drugs, it must have been odd that a patient would show up at the pharmacy and offer to pay with cash. Now I think that's more or less the norm...

I despised being told what to do by insurance companies. I hate it. But recently began lowering my practice MME dose/day limit to 90. It's been going reasonably well, with a few exceptions. I had already had 99% of people between 0 and 120 MME (75% 0-50) so it hasn't been that hard.

Recently, also, my state had been sending out emails listing numerous parameters regarding everyone's MME doses, how you rank compared to average, your # of benzo Rx's, # of patients prescribed opiates by you and benzo's by others, etc, etc, etc.

They specifically list the benzo + opiate patients as "Patients on dangerous combination therapy." Although I prescribe zero patients, chronic daily benzos, there are quite a few patients who's psych and PCPs have them on benzos while I have them on opiates.

I've made the decision to no longer prescribe any chronic daily opiates to patients on chronic benzos. I'm having the discussion with patients, notifying them of the new policy, giving them 30 days to discuss with their PCP whether they want to taper the benzos, the opiates or change Pain MDs. If they insist on staying on the benzos, the plan is to have them all off opiates by Jan 1. This, unlike the opiate MME reduction which has been going relatively smoothly, have been going terribly. These people are freaking out over the thought of having to choose between opiates and benzos, so I'm giving warning and doing it very gradually. But I think it's the right thing to do, and will be hard, but I'm going to stick to it an see it through, because I know in the long run, things will be much better for all involved.

Reactions: 7 users
I despised being told what to do by insurance companies. I hate it. But recently began lowering my practice MME dose/day limit to 90. It's been going reasonably well, with a few exceptions. I had already had 99% of people between 0 and 120 MME (75% 0-50) so it hasn't been that hard.

Recently, also, my state had been sending out emails listing numerous parameters regarding everyone's MME doses, how you rank compared to average, your # of benzo Rx's, # of patients prescribed opiates by you and benzo's by others, etc, etc, etc.

They specifically list the benzo + opiate patients as "Patients on dangerous combination therapy." Although I prescribe zero patients, chronic daily benzos, there are quite a few patients who's psych and PCPs have them on benzos while I have them on opiates.

I've made the decision to no longer prescribe any chronic daily opiates to patients on chronic benzos. I'm having the discussion with patients, notifying them of the new policy, giving them 30 days to discuss with their PCP whether they want to taper the benzos, the opiates or change Pain MDs. If they insist on staying on the benzos, the plan is to have them all off opiates by Jan 1. This, unlike the opiate MME reduction which has been going relatively smoothly, have been going terribly. These people are freaking out over the thought of having to choose between opiates and benzos, so I'm giving warning and doing it very gradually. But I think it's the right thing to do, and will be hard, but I'm going to stick to it an see it through, because I know in the long run, things will be much better for all involved.

do you communicate with the PCPs or just put it on the patient to talk to their PCP? Also, do you have the same type of treatment plan for patients with cancer-pain? I really like this policy, may start implementing it too...I prescribe 0 benzos as well, but have a few patients on them thru primary/psych.

I have recently been seeing insurances requiring prior auth on any pain medication prescription, including tramadol, that is written for more than 7 days. This even includes those that are on monthly tramadol. This is mostly the ACA insurances.

I would give Rx for what you feel is appropriate amount and stop there. If insurance only covers partial fill based upon what they say is adherence to CDC guidelines then the patient has two choices. One get what the insurance company pays for or two pay cash. I would NOT issue two separate prescriptions. Although your prescription itself may exceed the CDC's recommended maximum I think that issuing two prescriptions could be interpreted (by a lawyer of course) as circumventing the insurance company's attempt to protect the patient from harm. Absolute total BS but who needs to open another door for an attorney to hang you in the event of a mishap.

I personally would only write for what the insurance company would allow. of course, I support the 90 MED guidelines, so it is so rarely an issue. only in the few Legacy patients are there concerns.

i would remind these patients that every year, they are allowed to seek new insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
do you communicate with the PCPs or just put it on the patient to talk to their PCP? Also, do you have the same type of treatment plan for patients with cancer-pain? I really like this policy, may start implementing it too...I prescribe 0 benzos as well, but have a few patients on them thru primary/psych.

Cancer pain (active treatment, hospice or palliative) = different rule book.

Chronic non-cancer pain = Some of the PCP's I have discussed this with and notified them I'm doing it. They've moaned and groaned about it, but are on board with it in general, as they don't want patients on opiates and benzos any more than me. Most of my referring PCPs happen to be in the same office, since my group is multi-specialty, which helps. They tend to be pretty anti-benzo/opiate/stimulant as it is (except 1 old guy who only works 1 day per week) which also helps. For the outside docs, those that refer to me less and whom I'm less in touch which, I am simply telling the patients they have 30 days to discuss it with their benzo prescriber, which is drug is more important to them. If they decide it's the benzos and they can't (or more likely, don't want to find) a non-benzo alternative, then I'm telling them I'm going to start tapering their opiates next month and we'll focus on maximizing non-opiate pain treatment options. If they decide they don't need the benzos, then I expect them to taper off them over the next few months to keep the opiate treatment going. (My target date is Jan 1. I'm not telling them that, since I'd prefer it be faster, but 4 months is sure as hell not too fast.) If they're able to come off the benzos, then no problem, we can continue the opiates as without change as appropriate (or until the governments next dictatorial dose-lowering edict, but I don't tell them that part). I also give them a third option, that if they disagree with me, and feel they absolutely insist they need both chronic daily opiates and benzos, that I respect that decision and it is theirs, but that I will no longer be offering the service of opiate pain management to people that are also on chronic daily benzos. I tell them that the government gives me my license and now considers it 'Dangerous Combination Therapy' and that I will not be doing it. Someone else's practice will gain a benzo/opiate patient, and mine will lose one. I'm okay with that.

So far, it's been a little rough, and I expect it to get worse as it moves along. I also suspect I'll lose a significant number of patients. But that's okay. It'll make room for some new patients who don't insanely insist on a lifetime of benzonarcotization, and replace them hopefully with some people who actually want to get better. Maybe it'll save a life or two, I don't know (probably not). But, I do think its generally the right thing to do, and if it keeps the guys who give me my license and ability to work happy and off my back, then it's and even more right of a thing to do.

Our state is actually tracking this combo and sending us reports with you on a bell curve. My goal is to get the "Your opiate patients, on benzodiazepines by other providers" number cut in half, at a minimum, or preferably as close to zero as possible, by the time the next report comes out (q 6 months, I think?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
And the beat goes on:

Got this today from Express Scripts:

The opioid epidemic has been called the worst drug crisis in American history.

Express Scripts has joined other national efforts to combat thé cpioid epidemic. As a result. your office may start geeing more prior authorization (PA) requests for opioid medications.

We understand that PAS can be time-consuming for you and your staff. so we encourage you to use Electronic Prior Authorization-(ePA) as e streamlined process to submit PAS and get a decision quickly.

UPMC insurance in PA also made the same change this week

Members don't see this ad :)
When doctors do not control their out-of-control prescribing of opioids, other entities will apply increasing pressure until they do find some semblance of constraint. Picked up a patient today with an intrathecal pump (hydromorphone) plus 320mg oxycontin per day plus 300mg liquid oxycodone for "breakthrough" each day with lorazepam and zolpidem just for grins, all for generalized chronic non-malignant low back pain.

When doctors do not control their out-of-control prescribing of opioids, other entities will apply increasing pressure until they do find some semblance of constraint. Picked up a patient today with an intrathecal pump (hydromorphone) plus 320mg oxycontin per day plus 300mg liquid oxycodone for "breakthrough" each day with lorazepam and zolpidem just for grins, all for generalized chronic non-malignant low back pain.

Call me chicken, but I wouldn't have picked up that patient. Referral declined, no reason given. Or if they showed up in my office, "Sorry, I don't offer ultra-high dose opiate therapy. Period." Patient not accepted to practice. Back to referring doc, or addiction psych. Might take another look, once at 90 MME/day or less.

If other people want to specialize in ultra-high dose, that's fine. But it's not going to be me. I'll gladly settle for half the pay, and let some other cowboy's have that glory.

Oh, he will not be happy. Changed his hydromorphone intrathecal infusion to a fentanyl infusion intrathecal, immediately stopped all other opioids, told him he will have at least two weeks of withdrawal, and gave him clonidine, ondansetron, plus tizanidine.

Reactions: 4 users

In this case "picked up" could mean picked up from the sidewalk unconscious

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh, he will not be happy. Changed his hydromorphone intrathecal infusion to a fentanyl infusion intrathecal, immediately stopped all other opioids, told him he will have at least two weeks of withdrawal, and gave him clonidine, ondansetron, plus tizanidine.

Do you do clonidine patches or do u do po

Call me chicken, but I wouldn't have picked up that patient. Referral declined, no reason given. Or if they showed up in my office, "Sorry, I don't offer ultra-high dose opiate therapy. Period." Patient not accepted to practice. Back to referring doc, or addiction psych. Might take another look, once at 90 MME/day or less.

If other people want to specialize in ultra-high dose, that's fine. But it's not going to be me. I'll gladly settle for half the pay, and let some other cowboy's have that glory.
I don't have good addiction psych where I am at. Could you do me a favor? It would really help me if you could write in detail what addiction psych does for you in a case like this?
1. Do they just completely take over all these peoples opioids and wean them over time and convert them to Suboxone?
2. What if the patient shows up with like a week of pills left and no more refills from referring provider like these dorks usually do? Do you call the addiction psych and try and get them in within a week? Or do you give a couple weeks worth of pills until they can get it with you addiction psych? Or just tell them they will be in complete with drawl until they get in that office? or what?
3. Isn't the perception that these people are on these pills for "pain" and so an addictionoligist is not appropriate can you suggest this to the PCP and or patient ?
4. At what MED do you typically go this route?

I guess what I am wondering is if you just completely wash your hands? If you are just like call the addiction psychiatrist and see what he can do I am not touching anything? And if the addiction psychiatrist is OK with that?

I don't have good addiction psych where I am at. Could you do me a favor? It would really help me if you could write in detail what addiction psych does for you in a case like this?
1. Do they just completely take over all these peoples opioids and wean them over time and convert them to Suboxone?
2. What if the patient shows up with like a week of pills left and no more refills from referring provider like these dorks usually do? Do you call the addiction psych and try and get them in within a week? Or do you give a couple weeks worth of pills until they can get it with you addiction psych? Or just tell them they will be in complete with drawl until they get in that office? or what?
3. Isn't the perception that these people are on these pills for "pain" and so an addictionoligist is not appropriate can you suggest this to the PCP and or patient ?
4. At what MED do you typically go this route?

I guess what I am wondering is if you just completely wash your hands? If you are just like call the addiction psychiatrist and see what he can do I am not touching anything? And if the addiction psychiatrist is OK with that?

Not sure if you're an attending, fellow or what point you're at in your career, but I'm going to answer as if you're a pain fellow. And be aware, my opinion is just one. I don't expect you or anyone else to take it as gospel. It's just what's worked for me.

1. I'm not sure what addiction psych does exactly for the patients I refer to them, because they leave and never come back. My guess is, that most of them never go to addiction psych, and simply continue their search for their choice opiates, but I don't know for sure. But in an ideal world, you can certainly tell someone, "Yes sir, you may need an opiod. But its going to be suboxone, prescribed by an addiction psychiatrist, and although it won't make you pain free, it does relieve pain some. Please go see one ASAP. Here's a list."

2. For the patient algos listed, I would do none of the above. I would simply refuse to accept them at all, for any consult or treatment. If they showed up, I'd simply tell them, "Sorry, that's not what I do" and since all my consults are required to have a referral, they are expected to go back to whoever is they're doctor, because I'm not. (I don't do pumps, by the way, trial, implant or refill; they have to go to a pump doctor.) For patients that are reasonable candidates for opiates, the way its set up in my practice, they're told by the scheduling referral clerk "You will get no prescription on the first visit, no exceptions." A UDS is sent day 1, I bring them back in one week. If they need meds in that week, they need to get them from whoever sent them to me, whoever it is that has had them on them, and whomever it is that told them, they need them. Absolutely crucial: Requiring a referral, so that the patient is not yours until you accept them as yours, and having your referral clerk tell them, "No opiates on the first visit, no exception." This cuts down 75% of first patient visit angry, desperate, belligerent, interactions. Most that are prone to that, cancel, no show or have already at least been told "No" by one person before you. These two policies are critical, critical, critical. A referral is not, and should not equal the dumping and washing of the hands of one provider who absolves all responsibility, to another. If the referring PCP sees it that way, never take another referral from them again. Remember, you did not start this patient on opioids. Don't ever let anyone act or claim you did. (As an aside, DONT ever start patients on opiates. Try everything non-opiate under the sun, and STILL don't start them on opiates. There will be enough legacy patients already on them, to last you an entire career).

Just think of it, if a patient walks into a GI doctors office and demands a cholesystectomy, does the GI doc spend all day fighting with and arguing with the patient, making phone calls, arranging follow up with surgery and all that?

No. At a minimum he might give the person the name of a surgeon or advise them to have whichever doctor referred them to him, refer to someone appropriate, but he sure as heck isn't going to waste very much time doing what he doesn't do best.

3. Some people are on opioids for legitimate medical need, for pain, of course. Others are taking them for addiction. And yes, sometimes it can be hard to tell who's who. But when someone falls so far out of field from your normal course of practice (hypothetical: IT pump with 3 meds, Plus fentanyl 100mcg, plus ativan 1mg TID, plus soma prn) it becomes clear after a while, when you've struggled enough times trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole, and you've banged your head until the wall enough times out of unsuccessful frustration, that you're just not going to be able to help someone. @algosdoc is a saint for taking on the types of patients he mentioned. I applaud him, because he's skilled, and he's trying to do the right thing. Some people take the most difficult cases no one else will. You have to decide what your comfort level is.

4. When I started my practice, I took anyone. I found that pretty much everyones pain falls in generally the same range, whether there on 10 MME/day, 100 MME/day or 1000 MME/day. I've not found in my experience that higher opiate doses correlate with lower pain. Pretty much, everyone that comes to see me, is between 7-10/10 on the pain scale whether they're on 1 T#3 per day, or 100mg MS ER TID. If you have a long term study saying otherwise, I'd love to see it. But we do have studies showing a correlation between dose and death by OD (Algos has posted many, over the years, at least a half dozen.) And in my experience, physical and psychosocial function, certainly does not seem to correlate with MME dose. If anything, it seems to be inversely correlated with dose. But I could be wrong. Maybe there's some good happening with some people a mega-opiate doses. But I'm not going to be a party of it.

I enjoy taking care of 80 year old ladies that need 2 percocet a day to stay out of a wheelchair and the nursing home, and who need the occasional ESI, RFA or knee injection. I don't enjoy taking care of people who scream 4 letter words at me two inches from my face when I tell them that I don't recommend Fentanyl 100mcg + Roxicodone 30mg q 4hr, ativan 1 mg TID, and soma prn. So, I don't do it. It's also not wise to do it, during a time when the Feds are quoting 50,000 per year dying from opiates. They're not going to pull your license for giving 22.5 MED to 75 year old with X-rays and MRI that looks like she went through a wood chipper. They might for fentanyl/roxi/ativan/soma guy, if there's a bad outcome. If the tertiary referral centers, the Mayo clinics, the Dukes, Harvards or the Pain Fellowships want to manage those patients, then so be it. But you and I don't have the layer of protection that those centers do, when things go badly. Also, in an era where the pendulum is swinging in an anti-opiate direction, it makes sense to stay far enough ahead of the pendulum, that you don't get hammered by it.

"I guess what I am wondering is if you just completely wash your hands? If you are just like call the addiction psychiatrist and see what he can do I am not touching anything? And if the addiction psychiatrist is OK with that?"

Bottom line: I take every patient 1 at a time. If I can help someone, and they want help, I'll try to help them. If I don't feel I can help them, or they don't want my help (and "my help" does not equal, "them dictating to me what my medical opinion must be, through fear, intimidation, emotional manipulation or bargaining") then I don't waste time making futile attempt to help people that I can't help and/or don't want my help. But again. I'm only one person here. This is what I feel works for me and my patients at this point in time. My word is not the gospel. Others may disagree and will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Not sure if you're an attending, fellow or what point you're at in your career, but I'm going to answer as if you're a pain fellow. And be aware, my opinion is just one. I don't expect you or anyone else to take it as gospel. It's just what's worked for me.

1. I'm not sure what addiction psych does exactly for the patients I refer to them, because they leave and never come back. My guess is, that most of them never go to addiction psych, and simply continue their search for their choice opiates, but I don't know for sure. But in an ideal world, you can certainly tell someone, "Yes sir, you may need an opiod. But its going to be suboxone, prescribed by an addiction psychiatrist, and although it won't make you pain free, it does relieve pain some. Please go see one ASAP. Here's a list."

2. For the patient algos listed, I would do none of the above. I would simply refuse to accept them at all, for any consult or treatment. If they showed up, I'd simply tell them, "Sorry, that's not what I do" and since all my consults are required to have a referral, they are expected to go back to whoever is they're doctor, because I'm not. (I don't do pumps, by the way, trial, implant or refill; they have to go to a pump doctor.) For patients that are reasonable candidates for opiates, the way its set up in my practice, they're told by the scheduling referral clerk "You will get no prescription on the first visit, no exceptions." A UDS is sent day 1, I bring them back in one week. If they need meds in that week, they need to get them from whoever sent them to me, whoever it is that has had them on them, and whomever it is that told them, they need them. Absolutely crucial: Requiring a referral, so that the patient is not yours until you accept them as yours, and having your referral clerk tell them, "No opiates on the first visit, no exception." This cuts down 75% of first patient visit angry, desperate, belligerent, interactions. Most that are prone to that, cancel, no show or have already at least been told "No" by one person before you. These two policies are critical, critical, critical. A referral is not, and should not equal the dumping and washing of the hands of one provider who absolves all responsibility, to another. If the referring PCP sees it that way, never take another referral from them again. Remember, you did not start this patient on opioids. Don't ever let anyone act or claim you did. (As an aside, DONT ever start patients on opiates. Try everything non-opiate under the sun, and STILL don't start them on opiates. There will be enough legacy patients already on them, to last you an entire career).

Just think of it, if a patient walks into a GI doctors office and demands a cholesystectomy, does the GI doc spend all day fighting with and arguing with the patient, making phone calls, arranging follow up with surgery and all that?

No. At a minimum he might give the person the name of a surgeon or advise them to have whichever doctor referred them to him, refer to someone appropriate, but he sure as heck isn't going to waste very much time doing what he doesn't do best.

3. Some people are on opioids for legitimate medical need, for pain, of course. Others are taking them for addiction. And yes, sometimes it can be hard to tell who's who. But when someone falls so far out of field from your normal course of practice (hypothetical: IT pump with 3 meds, Plus fentanyl 100mcg, plus ativan 1mg TID, plus soma prn) it becomes clear after a while, when you've struggled enough times trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole, and you've banged your head until the wall enough times out of unsuccessful frustration, that you're just not going to be able to help someone. @algosdoc is a saint for taking on the types of patients he mentioned. I applaud him, because he's skilled, and he's trying to do the right thing. Some people take the most difficult cases no one else will. You have to decide what your comfort level is.

4. When I started my practice, I took anyone. I found that pretty much everyones pain falls in generally the same range, whether there on 10 MME/day, 100 MME/day or 1000 MME/day. I've not found in my experience that higher opiate doses correlate with lower pain. Pretty much, everyone that comes to see me, is between 7-10/10 on the pain scale whether they're on 1 T#3 per day, or 100mg MS ER TID. If you have a long term study saying otherwise, I'd love to see it. But we do have studies showing a correlation between dose and death by OD (Algos has posted many, over the years, at least a half dozen.) And in my experience, physical and psychosocial function, certainly does not seem to correlate with MME dose. If anything, it seems to be inversely correlated with dose. But I could be wrong. Maybe there's some good happening with some people a mega-opiate doses. But I'm not going to be a party of it.

I enjoy taking care of 80 year old ladies that need 2 percocet a day to stay out of a wheelchair and the nursing home, and who need the occasional ESI, RFA or knee injection. I don't enjoy taking care of people who scream 4 letter words at me two inches from my face when I tell them that I don't recommend Fentanyl 100mcg + Roxicodone 30mg q 4hr, ativan 1 mg TID, and soma prn. So, I don't do it. It's also not wise to do it, during a time when the Feds are quoting 50,000 per year dying from opiates. They're not going to pull your license for giving 22.5 MED to 75 year old with X-rays and MRI that looks like she went through a wood chipper. They might for fentanyl/roxi/ativan/soma guy, if there's a bad outcome. If the tertiary referral centers, the Mayo clinics, the Dukes, Harvards or the Pain Fellowships want to manage those patients, then so be it. But you and I don't have the layer of protection that those centers do, when things go badly.

"I guess what I am wondering is if you just completely wash your hands? If you are just like call the addiction psychiatrist and see what he can do I am not touching anything? And if the addiction psychiatrist is OK with that?"

Bottom line: I take every patient 1 at a time. If I can help someone, and they want help, I'll try to help them. If I don't feel I can help them, or they don't want my help (and "my help" does not equal, "them dictating to me what my medical opinion must be, through fear, intimidation, emotional manipulation or bargaining") then I don't waste time making futile attempt to help people that I can't help and/or don't want my help. But again. I'm only one person here. This is what I feel works for me and my patients at this point in time. My word is not the gospel. Others may disagree and will.

Excellent post, must read for all future pain docs. Thank you for your input.

painfree- I usually give PO clonidine given it is cheap, but TTS Clonidine is frequently used by other docs very successfully. My partner accepted the patient into the practice- I possibly would not have had I seen the patient first, but we had some of the pain docs with many pumps retire from the area recently-possibly to escape hurricanes- ;-)

Excellent post, must read for all future pain docs. Thank you for your input.
Thanks. But let me give credit where credit is due. I learned a lot of it from other forum members on here, some of it from people that trained me, and only a little bit from my own experience. And keep in mind it may not be right for everyone, every patient or every practice. Plus, I meant to add 1 more thing:

If they're not on 'em. I don't start 'em.
If they're on 'em, I don't increase 'em.
If they're above my limit, I don't write it (exception of 1 or two I'm still tapering down to my new limit).
If it's benzos/soma/stimulants I don't write it (exception 1-2 benzo tabs, one time for occasional MRI, and for stims/kypho's)
And I don't look for reasons to continue them, but I do search for reasons to stop them.
And I fully accept that I'll never be the busiest or highest paid Pain doctor in my town.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users