United States/Australasia Transferable Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoalie1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My name's Alexander, I'm new to this site and before I get into it- thank you, whoever you are, for taking the time to read this inquiry. :)

Basically, I'm a high school senior this year in the US and applying a few accelerated M.D. programs, universities, etc.

However, if possible, I want to take my studies in New Zealand or Australia. Possibly even live there for a duration afterwards, but I want the option to come back to the States and practice here, nearby family.

Is this possible? Can I obtain an MBChB or M.D., or even D.O. in either of the two countries within one of their respective universities (I'm not partial, U of Sydney would be just as awesome as U of Otago!)
and come back to the States to practice?

How about even completing residency in the US afterwards? Or would I have to finish residency in the country I study? Looking for answers, details, pathways, please help!!

Thanks again =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! My name's Alexander, I'm new to this site and before I get into it- thank you, whoever you are, for taking the time to read this inquiry. :)

Basically, I'm a high school senior this year in the US and applying a few accelerated M.D. programs, universities, etc.

However, if possible, I want to take my studies in New Zealand or Australia. Possibly even live there for a duration afterwards, but I want the option to come back to the States and practice here, nearby family.

Is this possible? Can I obtain an MBChB or M.D., or even D.O. in either of the two countries within one of their respective universities (I'm not partial, U of Sydney would be just as awesome as U of Otago!)
and come back to the States to practice?

How about even completing residency in the US afterwards? Or would I have to finish residency in the country I study? Looking for answers, details, pathways, please help!!

Thanks again =)

You can study in NZ or Australia, but they make no guarantees that you will get internship there. Basically they prioritize their own citizens and as a foreigner you will be last in line for internship spots (at least in Oz not sure about NZ). You can certainly apply for residencies in the U.S. from any of the schools, however, being an IMG (international medical graduate) puts you at a disadvantage in this case as well. Basically IMGs in the U.S. often have to settle for less competitive residencies.

The general rule of thumb is to go to medical school wherever it is you want to live and practice. U.S. medical graduates have a much easier time getting U.S. residencies than IMGs, so there is certainly a risk doing what you want to do but not impossible.

Thats just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, most Australian schools are now graduate entry programs, there's only a few left that are direct from high school and not sure if they are open to internationals FYI.