Univ Miami/Jackson Psychiatry = malignant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look, this place is fine for those who are able to deal with bs but the program continues to have significant malignant traits accentuated by specific faculty that do good job creating a culture where residents are expected to be fairly subordinate associated with a resulting fear of retaliation when vocalize any complaints against the dept itself. A few facts:

1. A resident was attacked by patient last year on an inpatient service. That resident coincidentally had posted inflammatory email pertaining to the program, and it seems said resident was coerced to remove posts from sdn.

2. Department ACGME resident satisfaction survey score is below national average compared to other programs. Their response was to essentially intimidate residents to give better score this year as there was no seeming interest in trying to even understand what was cause of widespread unhappiness.

3. Recent rock star attending quit after working here a few months citing the malignant/overly negative culture amongst the department administration (PD/APD/etc) as singular reason for decision to quit. Relocated to a different VA in south florida.

Just keep in mind, as I think approx 30% residents here said on survey they would "never" come here if could do it all over.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if srs or ranking Miami/Jacksonville number 1 #ranklistweek

Reactions: 2 users
lol i wish. quite sadly, srs. email/contact anyone from your interview day and will readily confirm truth of #1/2.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol i wish. quite sadly, srs. email/contact anyone from your interview day and will readily confirm truth of #1/2.
I'm kidding. Can't help but notice the timing. I didn't apply there but thanks for giving applicants a heads up (if true)

they usually only reach out to applicants that informally told them they're very likely going to rank #1. select few get invited for 2nd look. nm otherwise

Look, this place is fine for those who are able to deal with bs but the program continues to have significant malignant traits accentuated by specific faculty that do good job creating a culture where residents are expected to be fairly subordinate associated with a resulting fear of retaliation when vocalize any complaints against the dept itself. A few facts:

1. A resident was attacked by patient last year on an inpatient service. That resident coincidentally had posted inflammatory email pertaining to the program, and it seems said resident was coerced to remove posts from sdn.

2. Department ACGME resident satisfaction survey score is below national average compared to other programs. Their response was to essentially intimidate residents to give better score this year as there was no seeming interest in trying to even understand what was cause of widespread unhappiness.

3. Recent rock star attending quit after working here a few months citing the malignant/overly negative culture amongst the department administration (PD/APD/etc) as singular reason for decision to quit. Relocated to a different VA in south florida.

Just keep in mind, as I think approx 30% residents here said on survey they would "never" come here if could do it all over.

The above information is 100% true & there is a whole lot more. the Jackson Memorial Psychiatry Department @ University of Miami is notoriously malignant. in fact the department of psychiatry & its administration is currently under ACTIVE internal investigation by the Graduate Medical Education office for its continued offenses against its residents & other matters. but you won't hear this from the residents who participate in the recruitment & applicant interview process.
residents live & work under a culture of hypocrisy, brutality, intimidation & fear of retaliation against them by the administration. real threats, not just verbal threats.
^real threats to their psychological well-being by several irritable angry tyrannical narcissistic faculty members who are verbally abusive & threatening towards the residents, one such faculty member was finally fired from his longstanding role running an inpatient unit & overseeing residents - only to be reinstated within a year to once again oversee residents in an outpatient setting -- continuing his chaotic narcissistic rein of terror
^real threats to their physical safety on the inpatient units due to the administration's incompetence or plain refusal to hire enough faculty to oversee the units at both Jackson Behavioral Hospital & University of Miami Hospital.
^real legal threats to residents reputations & medical licensure

the motto for this residency program should read "benefits include a yearly stipend to be used for your legal defense fund"

any further questions?

Hello respected SDN community/family,

I'm a long-time SDNer even long before I ever became an official member (ie, years and years of reading posts and attaining great benefit from this community) and long before I ever even applied to residency or chose a specialty. I value this "community" greatly and take offense to this post as it misleads SDN community members. I benefit greatly on a day-to-day basis from this community. I could have ignored this post and not responded but I'm currently doing so simply out of a duty to this forum.

I'm currently a resident (ie, actually the resident referenced in point 1 above) at the Univ of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. A few peers of mine and I were shocked about the contents of the original poster during our lunch hour today after I brought attention to this post (ie, I check the forum regularly for my own benefit). This post is 100% me. No chief or PD or administration or peer has been in communication with me regarding this post whatsoever.

By far, the great majority of residents are happy living in Miami and with training at this program.
Areas of improvement in this program parallel known challenges in other programs and are not to be exaggerated or amplified here for a "hit job" or personal vendetta at this time of rank list.
The original poster is clearly not objective or factual and is clearly with intent to cause damage. He/She is not a "holy" messenger by any stretch and beware of false prophets.
British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Personally, I have not been disappointed by this program. There has been significant and enormous improvement in the program over the years.
I can list the many, many reasons why I chose this program rather than the DC/Virginia/Maryland/Northeast programs I was alternatively considering (ie, I could list but it would distract).
Those reasons that were applicable 2.5 years ago are STILL applicable today.
If I could go back 2.5 years, knowing what I know now, I would choose this program again. 100%. No second thought about it. I couldn't be happier in my professional life. It is absolutely not "malignant" - far from it.
The best decision in my life was choosing psychiatry. Now I can confidently say that the second best decision of my life was choosing Miami (for a multitude of program-related and program non-related factors).

I'm very happy with where I am in my life professionally and so are a multitude of my colleagues.
Yes, there are a few unhappy residents and I've seen a comparable few in ALL programs I know of in major cities and most programs in general.
The entirely tolerable "deficiencies" of this program are deficiencies that exist in the other 4/5 top non-Florida programs that I had ranked - and those deficiencies/areas-of-improvement still exist in other programs as per my peers that I keep regular contact with. Some residents have "romanticized" and "idealized" visions/fantasies of what residency "should be." Those same few and select residents would probably (ie, >90%) encounter similar problems in other programs. If you have minimal adaptable capacity, you will FLOURISH in Miami. If you have none, you will still survive and likely do well to be honest.

At this time, I honestly and wholeheartedly say that I'm VERY happy with my training experience and with my 2.5 years in Miami (ie, and counting).
This is a HIGHLY distorted post and is not factual.

I am the person/resident referenced in point 1 by the original poster/thread originator. A comprehensive, reasonable, and swift corrective action plan was implemented immediately after the incident to further enhance/promote resident safety/well-being. I have no long-lasting injuries or complaints whatsoever. To use my personal incident >1 year ago here NOW is bizarre, misleading, inappropriate, and unprofessional.

The thread originator is ignorant of the content of the SDN post I had originated in the past regarding the program. It was actually a POSITIVE post regarding the program >2 years ago and >1 year before I had the incident that was mentioned. I deleted the post/thread because a disgruntled resident (ie, like in any program) hijacked the thread in an unprofessional/distorted direction (ie, similar to now).

3. I have been in this program for ~3 years. I have NEVER been "coerced" to do anything. Dare anyone in the world to coerce me to lift a finger!
That is 100% false and PURE speculation.
I have been beyond vocal in suggesting reforms that were 100% implemented and well-received by responsive superiors.
Again, another false assertion from a malicious poster presenting false, falsifiable, and a misleading post.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions by SDN messaging (ie, and possibly phone communication should any SDN member desire).
I am more than willing to provide an honest, straightforward, frank, and balanced perspective on my training experience to those interested in Miami.
If you have any inclination to consider Miami, I highly advise you to look beyond the originator of this thread and explore all the pros/cons of 4 years of Miami life to you on a more personal level. The program is on par with other programs - good and otherwise (ie, areas of improvement). "Fantasy Perfect" doesn't exist anywhere and you will be disappointed if that is the romanticized/idealized end-point.

I do not intend to engage in multiple responses or tit-for-tat responses on this forum. This is intended to be my single and only post regarding this topic. This post is intended to clarify distortion and not to provoke further entanglements/inflammatory responses. I was biking 2 hours today in South Beach after having left clinic (ie, saw just ONE patient in Jackson clinic today and then biked from Jackson to the Beach ~30min distance biking) and now I'm tired enough to sleep. My life is "too difficult." Please feel sorry for me.

PS - As for the thread originator, I'm disappointed that you would post false statements about me in a public forum to manipulate the SDN forum. Keep it honest. Keep it real. Good luck to you in life and to all SDNers.

Much respect to the SDN community and respect for all the insights over the years.
Much love,
Infinite Mercy

Reactions: 5 users

It's a pretty chill residency here actually. If you are relatively competent, get along well working with others, this is a great place to come for residency. You will learn a lot and no one has died yet. The above posting has an accuracy level of 10% and they unfortunately do not pay me extra to say this ha

Reactions: 1 user