Univ. Miami pathology a bust this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that 18 people from Univ. Miami medical school went into path this year and not a single one matched into the path residency program there. Why? This was a location that was at the top of my differential because I have family there, and then I heard about this the other day from someone who was on the interview trail there. What gives?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that 18 people from Univ. Miami medical school went into path this year and not a single one matched into the path residency program there. Why? This was a location that was at the top of my differential because I have family there, and then I heard about this the other day from someone who was on the interview trail there. What gives?

Thanks!

Can't be true. Only something like 275-290 students from US matched this year. No way could there be 18 from one medical school.

you rarely have >18 people going into any specialty other than primary care (im, peds) at any school. i can't imagine a school that inspired 18 people to go into pathology (presumably because thier path dept is so fabulous and stole the hearts of this many students) didn't keep any at their own program. esp in a location like miami.

another possibility is that they have 18 not so great students who see path as something they can match into since it has historically been considered an "easy match" with potential for good lifestlye and compensation...this annoys the hell out of me but i think it happens.

it would be interesting to see their matchlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hunted around on their website to try and confirm or refute the claim being made here. they have match info available up to 2006, but this year's info isn't up yet. however i too am skeptical at both the notion of 18 students going into path (only 1-2% of med students nationally go for path), and that none would stay at the home program. however if true, this would be a major red flag for any 2008 applicant.

That's what I was thinking as well. I find this very hard to believe. After all, Miami is home to CSI Miami and Miami Vice. The match info seems to be a little delayed in being released this year. Our school hasn't for some reason put up its match list either as of yet. I guess this will be confirmed as soon as the match lists are up.

The match list is up in Pre-Allo.

Pathology (4)
Harvard Brigham & Womens Hospital Boston, MA (AP/CP)
Harvard Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX

Im confused did they match 18 into path or 4?
4 is believable, 18 is not. THERE IS NO WAY the entire state of FL could absorb 18 pathologists, there probably are barely that many spots in the entire Southeast.

*Maybe* at any given time there are 3-4 jobs in FL, a vast majority of which are Ameripath-style mills.

(shakes head in disgust....)

Im confused did they match 18 into path or 4?
4 is believable, 18 is not. THERE IS NO WAY the entire state of FL could absorb 18 pathologists, there probably are barely that many spots in the entire Southeast.

*Maybe* at any given time there are 3-4 jobs in FL, a vast majority of which are Ameripath-style mills.

(shakes head in disgust....)

They matched 4 people into path.