Univ Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi !!

I've seen a couple of questions related to UM ITDP. I've been helped earlier and got a lil lucky and wanted to address those questions if it helps.

There are 8 positions, last year there were 220 Applicants, 29 were called for interviews. The program is good. The best part is everybody has a chance, board scores are not a killer requirement, good GPA helps, work experience helps, interest and commitment are important. The SOP is not just a letter that makes a little sense, it has to be a thoughtful and well spoken bit about yourself. Once you are called for an interview, everybody is on an even keel. Everything gets looked at, which I guess is obvious to any application to any school but more so here.

The application cycle is open. It is a 2 day interview process. A practical on the second day, an interview process the first morning the afternoon is a spotters session. If you perform well, you will get in..there is no hidden anything. I've been interviewed elsewhere and thought the process here was very fair. One of those programs that you would think you can never get into.. but in reality if you focus and try hard you can. I've been to interviews where if you can smooth talk they will consider you and if you have a 90+ you will get in for sure, I dont think it works this way here.

There is a post somewhere that talks about the practical in detail. Go to advanced search and type Michigan in international dental and you will see it.

Good luck !!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the encourging post...gave me a picture of interview procedure in UMich..

Please guide me from where did you prepare for the clinical exam? I have also applied to Michigan.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi UMdent ,
Thanks a lot for the wonderful and informative post....
May I request you to enlighten us with some information on the written exam which they conduct at UMich...i.e.,what sort of questions do they ask in the written exam ? Are they short answer questions or essay questions ?
Regards....

can anyone please guide me about the interview procedure.
what do we have to practice for the practical and what does the written exam compromise

written part is like the clinical cases in part II.

Did they already start to send out the interview invitations? Did they send you an e-mail or a regular mail?
Thanks!

Trueme

Hi,

No thwy didn't start calling ppl for the interview....but they told me probably on Christmas time we will find out!
Good Luck!!

Hi,

Thanks for the information. So, we just have to wait.
Good Luck!

i got an interview call today , they e mailed me..

Me too. I just don't know if I will be going or not. Anyone else got an interview call?

hello g3k,
congrats for the call and acceptance at boston..
docnids got the call as well, and he isnt going.

hello g3k,
congrats for the call and acceptance at boston..
docnids got the call as well, and he isnt going.
i 'll make my decision depending upon the upenn or boston interview results..

Thanks mr_dent1st. I am sure you will get in somewhere!
Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to write an email(for courtesy sake) to inform our intent not to attend the interview?
Thanks

congrats mrdentist and g3k for ur interview call. can u guys let us know when u applied and what ur stats are bcoz I am very tensed and I am really hoping will get a call.And when does the interviews start from.
Hope u can give some light on this so that we all can get an idea.

i applied just 2 days b4 the application deadline,that was october 20th i guess. and the interview date is 8th january.
my stats are 90/283/3.57 and 5yrs of work experience.
good luck

Last edited:
congrats mrdentist and g3k for ur interview call. can u guys let us know when u applied and what ur stats are bcoz I am very tensed and I am really hoping will get a call.And when does the interviews start from.
Hope u can give some light on this so that we all can get an idea.

I applied end of August. Michigan is one school that doesn't care for one portion of your application. They look at the package. Don't worry. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thank you mrdentist and g3k for ur quick response.

Do we need to write an email(for courtesy sake) to inform our intent not to attend the interview?
Thanks

That would be really nice of you, because if you are not coming, they would call somebody else for the interview. So give other people a chance if you don't need it.

Received an email yesterday..... will be declining the interview call tho....

Hi Friends,
Does anyone know about the written exam for the interview ? Do they ask any essay questions or short answer questions ?
Thanks....

Has anyone else got an interview call from Ann Arbor since last week? They said they were going to send more emails last friday (12/15), but didn't see any more posts on this thread and so was wondering.

Yes. Seven in total. They have until Dec. 19 to respond. I will decline the invitation, just to let you know.

hey guys....I got an interview call from them today. Good luck to everyone else who's waiting to hear from them.

hi,
any female willing to share accomodation for Umich interview on 8th & 9th of January...plz pm me...

is detroit the nearest airport for univ. of michigan, ann arbor ?
and anyone willing to share accomodation for january 8 and 9 interview plz lemme know..

anyone willing to share accomodation

i got accepted at u mich..:love: :love:
thanx for all the help that i got from u all guys..

i got accepted at u mich..:love: :love:
thanx for all the help that i got from u all guys..
Hi mr_dent1st, congratulations for acceptance at UMICH. Now you rock.

thanx stelon...
definitely its time to rock.. :thumbup: on the rocks

thanx g3k...
u didnt cme for the interview??

i got my acceptance from UMichigan, Ann Arbor....:)

thanx g3k...
u didnt cme for the interview??

Nope. I got into University of Minnesota:D . I am extremely happy there. From what I saw at Michigan last year and at Minnesota this year, they seem to have similar programs. Both are equally great schools in their own way. So, I didn't want to spend more money on the interview, flight and stay.:)