Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Univ. of Chicago vs. Usc vs. Univ. of Rochester

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yabastaman, Apr 29, 2004.

1. yabastaman

yabastaman Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK. Ive been accepted to Univ. of Chicago, USC, and Univ. of Rochester. Univ. of Rochester has offered me 95 Gs ($95,000) over 4 years. Im really having a hard time deciding where to go.

USC = California. My home. My love. Its where Ive lived all my life. Family, friends, culture, y mucho sol. Undergrad campus far away. I went there for undergrad and wouldnt mind checking out another art of the US for 4 years since I know I will be settling down in Cali.

Univ. of Chicago = Its got the name and it lives up to it pretty well. Chicago. Cool location. Ive heard many good things about the city. Not too far from Cali so I can take a quick flight home. Its got an undergrad campus next door which is nice.

Univ. of Rochester = Widely respected univ. Its got a name and it lives up to it. Its hella cold. Non-diverse culture. A very expensive and long trip home to Cali. Did I leave out that theyre throwin hella cash at me. $95,000.

Please share your thoughts with me. I would appreciate any jewels of wisdom that may be spared.

Danny TL

2. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm biased toward Rochester, but above all else, it's a personal decision. I think Rochester is great, but the other schools you've listed are awesome as well. I think I'd go with the school I got the best gut feeling from, regardless of the money. Coming from California, you may have a rough time adjusting to Rochester. It's not exactly a booming metropolis. I'm originally from the Rochester area, so it's home for me. Anyhow, let me know what you decide, and if it's Rochester I'll see you in August!

3. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    just bumping this up...for some reason it didn't bump when I posted

4. gsx56

gsx56 Member
    7+ Year Member

you also mentioned that you want to settle in california eventually... once you leave for med school, it makes it much more difficult to come back. just something to take into consideration... going to school where you want to live, establish connections, etc.

5. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Ditto

Rochester is a gerat school the way it is set up and just based on the school alone makes it very attractive. The way it's set up makes learning very easy. Same goes for my school.

U of C OTH isn't anything like that. It's a very traditional curriculum with grades the first two years and I've heard bad things about how much the students like it. If I were you I would choose USC over Rochester because of location more than anything else. The schools are pretty equivalent in a lot of ways (except USC has county) and as gsx56 points out, once you leave California, it is very hard to come back to california for most residencies.

6. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

U of C is pass/fail first two years.

7. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

I'm gonna say something in favor of U of Chicago. The first two years is lecture-based, but the school itself still has a focus on "Thinking medicine", so the curriculum is not neccessarily bad--plus you can skip the lectures you hate anyway.

The notes I had from my interview day indicated that the first 2 years are P/F, but the clinical years are graded, just like almost all the schools out there. Chicago's undergrad has a bad reputation for being intense and competitive, but none of the students I interacted with seem to feel that about the med school.

And finally I think Chicago's strongest point is the resource available at its other graduate schools--Business & Law Schools are top-notch. UC also has good programs in Public Policy, Social Work, etc.
    And despite the drop in ranking over the years, UC still has a strong reputation among the academic circles.

8. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

whats up danny?....i know you from undergrad! (clue: you wrote an article about healthcare in iraq for my club, do you know who i am??)

i'de definitely stay home...USC all the way man!! school is awesome, people are awesome, and la is the best and its youre home. i dont think you should look at the money...you need to go somewhere where you are happy and that you enjoy. that way you will get the most out of your experience and youll do better in school.

hope to hear from you. congrats and good luck!

9. prmd4555

prmd4555 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree with calbe. I have visited U chicago- pritzker twice and none of the common stereotypes apply. I have been impressed each time. The students are laid back and friendly and enjoy the city a lot. The classes really are focused on learning the why of things rather than "cook book medicine". Clinical training is supposed to be excellent.
    Again, you are surrounded by other excellent schools to explore your interests. Also check out the match list this year, its awesome, as it is every year.

10. GBFKicks

GBFKicks Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    And you've gotta love Chicago---great city. Great people, great social life, great hospitals.

11. bell

bell Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd pick USC....can't beat California....also, i love their energy--i went to the student reception last week, and the faculty are awesome!
    ...and super friendly students...

12. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I will say this. There is not many places that can compare to USC-County for training. Cook County is one of them.

13. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Okay I take back what I say. Goto USC, and open up a Pritzker spot for me...pleeease. ;)

14. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

haha. yabast, i just remembered how much we studied together for biochem. ooweee, time flies by. im so excited for both of us. :D

15. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

All I have to say is that I WISH I was in your spot. ;) It must be awesome to be in the position to choose between those 3 schools. I wish you the best of luck wherever you go. My pick would be the University of Chicago because of awesome facilities, amazing faculty, virtually unparalleled research prowess, and the lovely location in the windy city. The academic reputation of Chicago also doesn't hurt. All I have to say is...congratulations on your admissions! :)

16. seev99

seev99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yo if u like to see the sun in january, then you should choose USC...but u should choose the other schools instead cuz u should open up a spot for someone who really wants to be at USC rather than passively take it...holla!

+pity+