Univ. of IL at Chicago or Rush Univ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on which med school to attend next year--UIC vs. Rush. Is one school "better" than the other? I guess I'm talking about prestige and also any school factors that would contribute to the quality of education one would receive. I'd appreciate your advice and opinions.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by md_2005:
I'm trying to decide on which med school to attend next year--UIC vs. Rush. Is one school "better" than the other? I guess I'm talking about prestige and also any school factors that would contribute to the quality of education one would receive. I'd appreciate your advice and opinions.

Thanks.

Okay, here's the scoop...

Both are good schools. Both are *not* top twenty, but both offer a good education. From what I see, Rush students are much happier than UIC students the first two years. The clinical years really offers no difference between the two, and possibly gives a little leg up to UIC for its breadth of opportunities.

Oh, and UIC is like half the price of Rush.

But UIC kinda throws you into the fire for the first two years. Sink or swim. Rush seems to be more caring, and the administration actually works with, not against, the student.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

To the original poster:

Have you heard from Rush yet regarding acceptance? If so, when did you interview? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

It sounds as if you've paved your way right through the admissions process, being accepted to multiple schools. I'm pre-med and interested in both schools because they are in my home state. Being a resident of the state is a BIG advantage versus being out of state when applying to state schools. Do you mind if I ask what kind of credentials got you accepted into those schools? GPAs? MCATs? Volunteer work? Extra-curriculars that stand out? Please fill me in because it would help me greatly. Thanks alot and good luck!

NUT

I go to UIC undergrad, I work at UIC med. I don't know much about Rush. UIC med is a great school, you have cook county hospital, west side VA [where i did my volunteer work], rush presbyterian, all within one square mile of each other. If I had a choice between UIC and Rush, I'd pick UIC because 1) UIC boasts a ~$8,000/yr tuition for in-staters. 2) UIC gives you a GREAT education, I know more than half the faculty and they're VERY smart people. 3) You have a very wide choice of hospitals for rotations/residency, one of which is Christ Hospital, one of the best in Illinois. [definitely where I'm going if I get into UIC, I live 4 blocks from it. I'll never have to spend a night in the hospital!
smile.gif
] You might like Rush, with its modernesque feel and all, but I'm a UIC-er hard core. This is possibly where I'll end up, hopefully.

Imtiaz

Thanks for the insights...

If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick?

My last post was intended for pimplepopper... but I would appreciate any other supported responses.

Originally posted by NUT:
Hello,

It sounds as if you've paved your way right through the admissions process, being accepted to multiple schools. I'm pre-med and interested in both schools because they are in my home state. Being a resident of the state is a BIG advantage versus being out of state when applying to state schools. Do you mind if I ask what kind of credentials got you accepted into those schools? GPAs? MCATs? Volunteer work? Extra-curriculars that stand out? Please fill me in because it would help me greatly. Thanks alot and good luck!

NUT

GPA: 3.7 MCAT: V9, P11, B10
I did research, volunteered in several depts at a hospital, worked in a health care setting, taught, founded a University organization, and competed successfully as an amateur athlete. But it also took me about seven years to graduate undergrad!

Originally posted by imtiaz:
1) UIC boasts a ~$8,000/yr tuition for in-staters.
Imtiaz

I this the tuition is more like $18,000 per year. About $9,000 per semester.

WOW! Your credentials are outstanding! Going extra years doesn't hurt you in the long run does it? I'm on pace to finish my undergrad in 5 years (total). What kind of research did you participate in? How about the Amatuer Athletics? Do you feel that not doing research would hurt my application to those schools, being that you've already been accepted by them and know what they expect? I haven't done any research, but I work in a hospital and am volunteering with my school. Also, I just got the call today about volunteering from Big Bros and Big sisters. I'd like to do something athletic (i.e. basketball) with a younger person who could benefit from my presence. I know alot goes into admissions decision, but on what I've said so far, am I lacking anywhere (besides research) in particular? Please enlighten me with any other info or suggestions you might have. Thanks

Originally posted by imtiaz:
Actually, I think I know how much it costs to go to MY school. http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/academic00_01.htm

Imtiaz

I'm sorry if you thought my last message to you was rude. In no way did I intend it to be. I appreciated the fact that you honored my request in my post and shared your opinions about UIC.

I received the same information from the url address you provided in my admission packet. The total $9116 is the rate for the tuition and fees for the 2000 Fall Semester and 2001 Spring Semester, right? (Semester meaning half a year). I could see how one would think the fees would encompass the entire year. I almost thought the same, until I looked at the price for undergrad and I even called to verify. Perhaps, it would be more clear if it had been worded 2000 Fall Semester 'or' 2001 Spring Semester. Too bad though, $8000 for one year of medical tuition would have been a deal.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by NUT:
WOW! Your credentials are outstanding! Going extra years doesn't hurt you in the long run does it? I'm on pace to finish my undergrad in 5 years (total). What kind of research did you participate in? How about the Amatuer Athletics? Do you feel that not doing research would hurt my application to those schools, being that you've already been accepted by them and know what they expect? I haven't done any research, but I work in a hospital and am volunteering with my school. Also, I just got the call today about volunteering from Big Bros and Big sisters. I'd like to do something athletic (i.e. basketball) with a younger person who could benefit from my presence. I know alot goes into admissions decision, but on what I've said so far, am I lacking anywhere (besides research) in particular? Please enlighten me with any other info or suggestions you might have. Thanks

To NUT,

I don't think taking extra time to graduate would hurt your chances of getting into medical school. I guess the more important issue is how did you use the extra time. For me, I have been involved in my sport since I was four. I got to travel the world and pursue other goals that I had. I didn't do this because I thought it would appease the admission's committee. It was just another goal I had. In the process, I learned how important medicine was to me and that I would even retire from competing to give my full attention to medical school. And I did all the "necessary" pre-med stuff. So I feel that my time was well spent because I got to pursue my life dreams, learn more about myself, and gain more focus on what I thought was more important to me.

As far as research, I think it really depends on what school you want to go to. If you want to go to U of C--then definately do research because U of C is known to be a "research school." I didn't apply to U of C because research is not my biggest concern. An interviewer at UIC told me his view on research. He thinks it is a good experience and people should try and take the opportunity but it really isn't a requirement for med school.

As for everything else, my advice is to try and do things you are interested in. Of course, there are some standards you should try and meet--the coursework, good GPA (>3.5), strong MCAT (around 30), good volunteer experiences (so that you know, and the committee knows, that you are seriously interested in medicine), strong AMCAS personal statement, getting your apps in EARLY (very important--don't overlook it), and good recs. The rest, personal characteristics, leadership abilities, etc. will show when you do things you are interested in.

Don't plan your entire life around what you think the admission's committee would like. Keep in mind what the "requirements" are, but live your life how you want to. Again, there is no real formula. I really think if you really want to get into medical school and if your half way intelligent, then you'll eventually get in. if you don't the first time, then evaulate your application's weaknessess and reapply when you think you've fixed them.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Forgive me for making an ass of myself. I didn't look close enough at the numbers.
smile.gif

Imtiaz

Originally posted by md_2005:
I'm sorry if you thought my last message to you was rude. In no way did I intend it to be. I appreciated the fact that you honored my request in my post and shared your opinions about UIC.

I received the same information from the url address you provided in my admission packet. The total $9116 is the rate for the tuition and fees for the 2000 Fall Semester and 2001 Spring Semester, right? (Semester meaning half a year). I could see how one would think the fees would encompass the entire year. I almost thought the same, until I looked at the price for undergrad and I even called to verify. Perhaps, it would be more clear if it had been worded 2000 Fall Semester 'or' 2001 Spring Semester. Too bad though, $8000 for one year of medical tuition would have been a deal.

Best of luck.

md2005...

I chose UIC. As im was addressing, the clinical opportunities that UIC presents, I think, are excellent, and in fact more varied than most other schools in the Chicago area. We have affiliations with many, many hospitals, but it's really cool to have the affiliation with the WSVA. Cook is also affiliated with Rush, and these affiliations change every year...

On the other hand, Rush most likely has a stronger first two years. Again, I don't know that first-hand, but it seems that the students are happier, the administration is much friendlier, etc. At UIC, it seems that the exams are oftentimes "out to get us". (just because we're paranoid doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get us)

But I knew all that to begin with. I decided that it was more important to have the clinical exposure, and to save the $$. U of Illinois has a name outside Chicago as well, and I plan on looking elsewhere for residency.

UIC is also building quite a bit, and our facilities are improving by leaps and bounds. A new med school is being built as we speak (which will be done in 2003 i think, a little late for me)

Hope this helps! I don't think you'll go wrong with either decision. In fact, last year there was talk of merging UIC and Rush, including the hospitals and med schools. I haven't heard anything since...

Good luck!

Oh, and by the way, I know FOR FACT that tuition is around $18k/yr. More for third and fourth years, since you're paying for the summers as well.

These dumb books say that it's like 10k, but that was a few years ago. The admin has been squeezing a turnip for $$, and there are tuition protests currently happening. Still, it's the cheapest option in Chicago.

PimplePopper,

I'm in a similar situation as md_2005, trying to decide between these schools. You remarked that UIC has a name outside Chicago, do you get the impression that Rush doesn't? I want to be able to have a wide range of options for residency, do you feel that Rush is more limited than UIC in terms of matching outside of Chicago? Thanks

Orange

Orange

That is simply MY impression, based on who knows what. As I said before, I honestly don't think you'll make a *bad* career move if you go to either place, and your potential to match in any place in the country (because both Rush and UIC have good records of that) will not be hampered at either school. I think that if you're really concerned about that, you should speak with a few hospital programs outside of Illinois, and see the response.

Another plus with UIC, in my mind, is its diversity. Rush is a pretty whitebread school, with very few minorities. UIC is third to Meherry and Howard in minority graduates, and this really fosters a nice environment. Our ethics sessions are always interesting in watching the different backgrounds come out, and it really helps all of us to understand better our own biases of the patients we will treat.

We also have a fairly strong clinical program (if you seek it out) in preclinical years. I was doing pelvic exams in my first year. (not just a pimple popper anymore!)

Anyway, I should stop procrastinating. Congrats on having this decision, and either way you decide, you'll be happy with your decision. It's called "cognitive dissonance". (I have friends who turned down Northwestern, U of C, etc... and they're not regretting their decisions either).

Oh, one more thought. If you have a day, maybe you should come out to M-1 classes at both schools and see what you like. Granted, it's completely day-dependent (don't come during biochem at uic!) but it'll give you a sense of at least a few courses at each school.

Go to RUSH. The reason is that it is afflilated with some excellent hospitals. The way I see it, the first two years of med school are basic sciences which are very similar (material wise) in all schools. The key is the 3rd and 4th year where you get your real experiecne. That is where the hospitals factor in. Rush is a better choice.