Univ. of IL

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gumshoe, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

What is this about U of I graduates not really taking a full year of organic? I think that is crazy, and unfair.

Gumshoe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. opus03

opus03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, one semester organic and one semester biochem. I'm just glad I caught the "two semesters of behavioral science in sequence" bit this summer BEFORE I started my senior year!!:)

4. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

in sequence?? i dont remember reading that.

5. opus03

opus03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I read it in the MSAR....it says 3 semesters of social science with emphasis in behavioral. "A minimum of two semesters must be taken in a sequence within the same department and an additional semester within the social sciences." I think I didn't see that last part until like the third time I looked at it. So, I guess it means any social, not just behavioral, science. *sorry* I had a semester of psych my freshman year and am now taking two semesters of sociology. Hope that works!

6. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

OMG.. you're right. I cant believe i missed that. Good thing im a psych major as well.

=========================================

A. Each candidate must complete the following courses in the biological and physical sciences:

1. Two (2) semesters of Introductory Biology or the equivalent with laboratory.

2. Two (2) semesters of General -Inorganic- Chemistry or the equivalent with laboratory.

3. Two (2) semesters of Organic Chemistry with laboratory.

NOTE: Introductory Biochemistry may substitute for one semester of Organic Chemistry.

4. Two (2) semesters of General Physics or the equivalent.

B. Candidates are expected to complete three (3) semesters of Social Science courses with an emphasis in the Behavioral Sciences. A minimum of two (2) semesters must be taken in a sequence within the same department, and one (1) additional semester within the Social Sciences.

C. In addition to the above, candidates are expected to take at least one of the following courses:

Advanced-level Biology OR

Biochemistry OR

Physiology OR

Mammalian Histology OR

Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy OR

Molecular Genetics

7. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    U of I students have the option of taking a semester of biochem instead of the second semester of organic. Believe me, it is not unfair as our biochem 350 is by far the hardest class I've had here. And I'd say that about 75% of med schools will accept our biochem substitution, so it's not like we're trying to pull one on everybody here. ;)