Univ. of Kansas or MCP Hahnemann

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloud

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted off the waitlist at each of these schools. Does anyone have any advise on which school would be a better one over the long run (i.e. residency)?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your interests following med school? If you have an interest in primary care medicine, KU has a fairly good reputation among residency directors. If you are interested in a competitive specialty-- well, I'm not sure what to tell you. I have heard a lot of people say that your performance in med school and USMLE has a lot more to do with getting into the residency program of your choice than the name of the school you attended-- that is, unless the name of the school you attended was Harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins, or Stanford. ;)

I was accepted to KU and waitlisted at MCP. They are both good schools. Which one to go to depends on how you felt about the schools. Some things to consider: are you interested in PBL?, do you want to go to a school as big as MCP 200+ students?, KU is in a bad area (lots of crime). Just some things to think about.

Good luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview for MCP was held in Los Angeles so i did not see the campus or the surrounding areas. What was that like. The area around Kansas did not seem that bad. Is there alot of crime?

I live in Kansas City and have had two kids born at KU, so I am somewhat qualified to answer this question for you. The area directly surrounding KU Med Center, i.e. five to ten blocks, is pretty rough. But there are $500k houses within 5 minutes of KU, so it's not like some huge ghetto. Kansas City is not a HUGE city, so it takes about 30 mins to get from one side to the other. You can live on the Kansas side of the state line, but you will pay more for rent/housing and the taxes and cost of living will kill you. You can live on the Missouri side for much less, and be within 20 mins of the hospital easily. I used to live in some loft apartments in the downtown area on the Missouri River in the "River Market area-- an outdoor farmer's market with lots of things do do: great bbq, jazz clubs, live music, outdoor festivals, etc. I think that is a great place for a single person, or a married couple without kids to live, and it is within 10 mins of KU Med Center.

The crime around KU med is not THAT bad.....it is a typical inner city type environment, but pretty lame compared to John Hopkins in Baltimore.

later

Cloud,
Heads up on MCP. The school is between a decent residential area and a total ghetto. I'm talking really rough. MCP--the school, is also a little out of the city while one of there hospitals is right downtown. I lived in Philly for a year and it was cool. I never really felt all that safe though and I would really recommend getting a car if you go there. Septa sucks, and the trains are good if they actually connect you to something you want to go to. If I was in a similar situation, I would probably choose U of Kansas but then again I really don't know how bad it is there!
Good luck

I go to MCP Hahnemann right now. I'm finishing my first year. The Med school is in a relatively good area. There are parts of this place you have to avoid (like any big city). However, housing can be obtained in a secure apartment complex with parking, gym facilities, etc. The immediate area around the medical school is fine and much safer than the locations of other med schools (i.e. Hopkins in Baltimore, and Yale in New Haven).

I'm really happy with the school and it's options. I honestly didn't pick MCP Hahnemann directly because I did a combined undergrad/medschool program. In other words, I ended up at Hahnemann because I chose the "MD". I have to admit that I am very surprised by the level of instruction, resources, and student body. We have wireless LAN throughout the med school, all our classes are videotaped and put on reserve in the library, the medical school is pristine 24/7 (Almost feels like home and most students never leave), the faculty are helpful and the large size isn't as bad as expected. They offer two tracks of learning: Problem based (PIL) and traditional lecture (IFM). Also, having a large class adds a lot of diversity and the age range is pretty big (19-41, avg. age being 26).

I don't know anything about U of Kansas Med school. But most of the students here are happy with where they end up in terms of specialty. I've looked at the "match reports" and we match really well in competitive residencies. I'm sure admissions could hook you up with the exact numbers.

Oh yeah, I just noticed that cloud is from California. 1/3 of MCP Hahnemann (my year anyway) is from California. A lot of people from UC Davis especially. I guess it's really hard to get into those med schools back in California. It's really weird having all these California people around. I personally would be kind of sad leaving bright sunny cali for dreary, cloudy philly! I don't know if this helps... but I thought i'd throw this tid bit out there. 3 guys in my Gross lab group were from California and two of them from UC Davis.

FYI, KU requires all students to live on the Kansas side. They figure if you are going to attend the state school, you better live in the state. Weather this rule is enforced or not, I don't know.

As with the area, it is in the Ghetto. Crime is high, but if you are careful, you will be fine.

not enforced is the answer to the above question.

later