Univ of Manitoba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADentalHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first post and I've just been wondering lately if there are many Canadians here?
I guess Im kind of wondering if it is worth it to move out of your home province to attend a school elsewhere. I have some family in winterpeg and im thinking Dentistry would be easier to get into in Manitoba.
Has anyone tried to apply to the dental program there? or even just dental hygiene?
I just started pre-reqs and have an A in every subject except english, but i am sort of giving up hopes for UBC because it seems so competitive here. plus i cant really afford their 200 grand fees plus living in vancouver. A bit outrageous w/ house prices and practice start up loans too.. ugh. . but like u of m is cheaper. Is anyone else considering this? or should it still be best to go to the harder schools and stay in my own province...
Can I come back to BC after I am done or do regulatory bodies not like that.....
Okay! thanks so much :D

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i wouldn't do it. i got into UBC and didn't even get an interview at UofA despite applying there as an in province applicant. that goes to show you that UBC might not be as hard to get into as you think. i'm not saying it's easy, by any stretch, but the fact remains that you never know what your chances are unless you apply.

work hard, pwn the DAT and get some solid letters of reference from some of your professors. it seems like you're on the right track, and when it comes to applying, apply sensibly (by that i mean look at in/out of province quotas).

check out www.premed101.com/forums for a more canadian-oriented site for pre-meds, pre-dents etc. good luck.

UoM is actually harder to get into than UBC because it's not a private school, that's why the tuition at UBC is pretty much the same as most U.S. schools. (200K)

My opinion, HELL NO! I wouldn't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks for that link. it looks like it will be very helpful.
Is UBC a private school? I didnt know that....
U of A seems really hard to get into. they only take like 5 or 6 people that aren't alberta residents i hear.. but i thought U of manitoba didnt have a preference... hmmm
It would be really nice to just go to UBC

hey thanks for that link. it looks like it will be very helpful.
Is UBC a private school? I didnt know that....
U of A seems really hard to get into. they only take like 5 or 6 people that aren't alberta residents i hear.. but i thought U of manitoba didnt have a preference... hmmm
It would be really nice to just go to UBC

it's not REALLY a private school, but it's the closest thing to a private school as far as canadian dental schools are concerned.

dackmonkey, how are you enjoying UBC? I'm actually kind of nervous because it seems like a whole lot of work, but im still so excited. Do you have time to work part time during the dental program or is it a pretty full schedule? Also, would you recommend living on campus. If i went to any other school I definitely would, but in my own province I'm not so sure.

i'm starting THIS fall so i can't really answer your question hahaha.