Univ of MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stubby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on U of MD? I think it is a middle of the road program, but solid.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I liked it a lot. I am not like a lot of people on here deciding between Hopkins, UCSF and BWH (if I see one more thread about these three I will poke out my eyes) so the program at Md was very appealing to me. I think you will get a great clinical experience there and they seem to have a decent fellowship placement record.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked what I saw at Maryland. In a lot of respects I liked it better than Hopkins. Currently I have JHU ranked as #1 and UM as #2. I just might reverse that ranking.... :confused:

I interviewed there, thought it was an excellent, well-funded, and progressive program, and Baltimore can be a fun city (I once lived there) if you are careful and stay away from the wrong areas. Beautiful hospital, great research opportunities. A few things kept me from ranking this program in my top 3, however:

1)Family and most friends live in New England
2)Racial and cultural diversity of residents seemed a bit less than most of the New England programs I ranked higher (~85% white residents w/ almost no FMG's in a city that is predominantly black.. hmm..). Just a personal perference, hope no one takes it the wrong way.
3)Although a VA is a GREAT resource, and I think my school has done us a great disservice by not persuing a VA affiliation, to do nearly half of one's inpatient training in a VA hospital seems a bit overwhelming to me.

Not much else though, this program is definitely underrated by most, and very cool to see a female PD for a change!

NickPapagiorgio said:
I am not like a lot of people on here deciding between Hopkins, UCSF and BWH (if I see one more thread about these three I will poke out my eyes) so the program at Md was very appealing to me. .

:laugh: preach it brotha! I mean, how many times can people post "Will my fellowship chances be destroyed forever if I pick BWH/BIDMC/Mayo/Yale over MGH??" Ah, I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the vomiting smiley.

irlandesa said:
:laugh: preach it brotha! I mean, how many times can people post "Will my fellowship chances be destroyed forever if I pick BWH/BIDMC/Mayo/Yale over MGH??" Ah, I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the vomiting smiley.

Glad to see that I am not the only one that feels this way. Granted I am a lurker with only a few posts but I would guess that at least 50% of the posts on this forum are debating between the top five programs. Guess what....they are all great. That is why they are in the top five. No one on here can tell you which one you should go to...so sack up and make a decision. You will get a great fellowship if you go to any of them. Pick which place will make you the happiest. I know that is tough for a lot of people because no one can tell you which one that is but in the end it is all that matters.

I'm a resident at UMD.

Overall, I find it to be a very strong program. Great colleagues (we have a lot of fun), nice facility, and I believe that our affiliation with the VA is a huge bonus! I would say that we spend about 25-30% of our ward time there...

Our patient population in general is very, very ill. Baltimore is the syphillis capital of the US, and we have HIV everywhere.

The folks who decide to do a fellowship do very well... I'm sure for your interview you were given a list, and I don't know numbers, but I do know that my colleagues this year are getting great interviews.

One of the important pluses to our program is our program director. I've been very impressed with her leadership. I recall as an intern she would wander the halls at 1pm to make sure, personally, that the post-call intern was gone from the units (the only overnight calls weekdays). If they weren't, it was the attending's and resident's fault, and they would leave at that time. With this kind of emphasis, there is absoutely a trickle-down effect to all housestaff that this is essential, and as a result, there is a real team approach here.

I can go on and on, but if you have questions, feel free to contact me. I know it's close to decision time!