SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Univ. of MI

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VAD, Nov 15, 2000.

1. VAD

VAD Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Hi All,

I just received notification to send in additional info. (letters of recc., photo, papers, etc.) from Univ. of MI. Does anyone know how many people that receive their secondary are invited to interview? Also, how many students who interview are ultimately accepted?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on the app. process at UMI.

VAD [​IMG]
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    My figures are from 1997-98 first year class. My guess is that the current figures for total applicants are about the same this year or there is slight decrease.

Number of In State Out of State Total
    Applicants 1,095 4,204 5,300
    Interviewed 289 345 634
    New Entrants* 93 76 169

*# in class; accepted numbers higher, but not given. In New Entrants figures show only that of those accepted, the class is made up of those who chose to attend.

If you have an interview, the odds of acceptance increased considerably. Make the most of your interview.

4. I just got UMich's secondary yesterday. Basically, they used a neon highlighter to highlight the phrases, "A non-refundable $50 application fee is due at this time." and "Please remit this portion with payment." Who thinks I'm gonna be "regretfully" rejected once I send in the cash? HAHAHA. I do. Nevertheless, the small SPECK of hope is enough to motivate me to take the risk. Was anyone else's postcard highlighted?

5. VAD

VAD Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 1999

My postcard was also highlighted! I guess that's so we don't forget what's important...Anyway, the nice thing about U of MI is that they have a website where you can check your status, and they seem to update it regularly. That's where I found out that they were requesting recommendations & additional info.

Best of luck to you! I saw your question about rejections on another thread, and for the record, I wouldn't start worrying just yet (I say this as I anxiously call home EVERY day from work to see if I received any med-school mail or phone calls!!!) [​IMG] I would, however, have a plan B. I have a plan B (to retake the MCAT if things aren't looking good by mid-January). Have you thought about taking some add'l sciences courses to improve your science GPA? I don't know if you're a science major, but this would surely help. I also applied late (AMCAS transmittal Oct. 2nd), but I'll have to wait and see how things turn out. So I'd suggest that you don't give up hope, but that you also start to consider your options/alternatives if things don't go according to plan.

VAD [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by VAD (edited 11-18-2000).]
  6. lizard

lizard Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Stamford, CT
    VAD: I didn't know that UMich had a website to check status. I looked all over for one, but can't seem to find it. Can you post the URL for the site?
  7. doof

doof Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2000
  8. jimmybee

jimmybee Med/Peds Resident 10+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Does anyone know if Umich has sent out any rejection letters yet? I sent my stuff in a long time ago and my status has been unchanged since. Although I am an in-state student with excellent grades, my MCATs are lower and I'll probably get rejected. I just want to know what's up.