univ of michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yahoo31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This is for those who are applying to the univ of michigan [school of dentistry] or have applied in the past /or students currently pursuing the international dental students program at the univ of mich.
had some questions,
-what kind of scores [part 1 /toefl] do they consider?[their website says min req is 84 on part 1 ]
-do they lay a lot of emphasis on gpa?
-what can u do to make your application look good ?
-any info about the bench exam that they have .
-also anyone willing to share their experience

Any input/info will be of great help .Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

UMICH is an excellent dental school
lots of importance on clinical dentistry & abundant of patients for students.
i had been interviewed there last year.
their bench exam has two parts - a theory section which contains essay type q. & even analysis of clinical cases
it would be very good if somebody has already taken Part II.
the bench exam is on a columbia dentoform fitted on a bench rod.(indirect vision is necessary at all times)
they asked: 1. MOD preparation on tooth #3
2.MOD preparation & silver amalgam filling in #14
3.class III on ML of #8
4.PFM tooth preparation on #21
all these exercies in 4 hrs. the bench exam is tough & one needs sound practice to be selected.
the scores should be around 89 & above with TOEFL 100 & above.
all the best to students applying to UMICH.
it's a dream dental school .

thank you very much for your reply,KPK.really appreciate it .
are u currently studying in any school?
If i may ask u one more question, do they give a lot of importance to the GPA ? is there a specific cut-off that they need for GPA?
thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
i m at PENN dental school.
got selected at UMICH last year but selected UPENN.
yes GPA is pretty imp. in any school.
if u think ur's is 3 or above it's good,
if it's low u can possibly explain why it's low (in a tactful way of course) during ur interview/while writing ur SOP.
do write to me if u have any more pbms,
i will be more than willing to help,
all the best,

Hi KPk,
I am really interested in U Penn(ranks no.1 for me),My status r NBDE:89 part 1 (new)
Toefl:93
GPA:3.39
I am doing Endodontic diploma in my home country but I dont think that I am going to do my exams because It will be in October and November which is the same months for interviews.
What is the most important thing they consider for acception?
I will really appreciate any help.
PS:I took toefl again one week ago trying to improve my score.

hi,
u have a very good chane in UPENN
only thing is u need to assure the interviewer that u will complete ur endo diploma ,maybe take the exams later or something.
coz they don't like people with incomplete coursework.
also toefl needs to be 105 & above.
all the best,
if u have an interview don't forget to contact me.

hi,
only thing is u need to assure the interviewer that u will complete ur endo diploma ,maybe take the exams later or something.
all the best,
That was really helpful KPK,Thank u so much.

hello fellow dentists, im in a bit of a dilemma and i feel that you will help me sort it out.
I have scheduled my exam for July 11th...but i feel i need 2-3 days extra so I am planning on moving it to July 14th. so, my question is....i am only applying to california schools (UOP,UCSF,UCLA,USC)...and I was hoping you could give me an answer to the following q's
1- how long did it take for your result to come out
2- if i take exam july 14th, then roughly result comes out by august 14th...
is that enough time to make it for the september 2nd deadline?
3- how long does ADA take to mail out scores to schools?
4- can i request copies of score from ADA and mail them out myself?

reply will be appreciated very much.
god bless us all and good luck to everybody!

Hi KPK,
I am interested in applying to the Upenn...my scores are
NBDE part1: 90
TOEFL: 114
GPA: 3.54

Can you please tell me what is required to make my resume look impressive and what it is that they look for while admitting candidates to the PASS progam.

hi,
ur scores are very impressive.
pay attention to minute details while applying to PENN.
it has some essay type questions which you need to answer properly with great attention.
i took 7 days to draft my final application.
work on the application properly,
your scores are terrific, you have a very strong chance .
all the best,
write to me when you have an interview.

hi,
ur scores are very impressive.
pay attention to minute details while applying to PENN.
it has some essay type questions which you need to answer properly with great attention.
i took 7 days to draft my final application.
work on the application properly,
your scores are terrific, you have a very strong chance .
all the best,
write to me when you have an interview.

Hi,
thank you very much for the advice. I shall definitely let you know if i get an interview call.

Hello to all..

U of M is an excellent Research dental school, may be the best for research. But as far as clinical experience from couple of recent grads and a couple of current students have told me that since UM has all the specilities, hence the patient pool for ITDP/general dentist is thin. But, if you get a chance to interview absolutely go there and take a look your self, but consider you may have a wider variety of patient exposure at urban schools (i.e. UIC, UDM, UCLA, etc). I am just stating my opinion (NOT that of any university or administration) from what I have heard.

P.S. KPK you made a great choice in Penn, excellent school.

Goodluck

PFM1

hi PFM1
thanks for sharing the views.
actually i had heard the same thing about UCLA last year.
it's in a very urban area & since the patients over there prefer going to a private dental office than coming to the school , the students are without any significant patient pool.
however some of the people in SDN who are currently enrolled at UCLA don't accept this theory.
so my guess is, it's not always wise to believe in things which you have just heard,
maybe a personal experience is a better way of learning things
all the best!!!!:thumbup:

hi PFM1
it's in a very urban area & since the patients over there prefer going to a private dental office than coming to the school , the students are without any significant patient pool.
however some of the people in SDN who are currently enrolled at UCLA don't accept this theory.
so my guess is, it's not always wise to believe in things which you have just heard,
maybe a personal experience a better way of learning things

KPK, thanks....
I lived near ann arbor, so I have been in touch with few current students and recent grads of U of M, some of these students are D3s and D4s. They told to me when i was applying, if I want wide varitey of patients try to look into other schools. Also, economy in michigan is pretty bad, so many patients from downtwon detroit that used to drive from detroit (which is a 45 min drive) with high gas prices are avoiding the long drive and going to newly built UDM (off 96 in downtown). Unfortunitly, these are some cold hard facts I want to share with you guys, I am already in dental school, so I figure I help out our fellow international students. In the end I recommend do your research, since choice we make is for our career and will be with for the rest of our lives.

Good Luck to all

hi,
all the best,
Hi KPK,
I tried to improve my toefl score but I failed,I was wondering if I should apply with my 93 or it is going to be waste of time and money

hi,
of course u should apply!!!
no battle is ever won or lost untill fought.
my best wishes.!!!:)

hi PFM1
maybe a personal experience is a better way of learning things

It is quite common for two or more students at the same school to have very different opinions when it comes to their school's patient pool. It really boils down to how motivated you are in actively pursuing patients, AND KNOWING HOW TO RETAIN THEM. Patient turnover is obviously a crucial factor.

You could also have 20 patients with more work than you can handle, or you could have 50 patients who all need prophies.

KPK, thanks....
I lived near ann arbor, so I have been in touch with few current students and recent grads of U of M, some of these students are D3s and D4s. They told to me when i was applying, if I want wide varitey of patients try to look into other schools. Also, economy in michigan is pretty bad, so many patients from downtwon detroit that used to drive from detroit (which is a 45 min drive) with high gas prices are avoiding the long drive and going to newly built UDM (off 96 in downtown). Unfortunitly, these are some cold hard facts I want to share with you guys, I am already in dental school, so I figure I help out our fellow international students. In the end I recommend do your research, since choice we make is for our career and will be with for the rest of our lives.

Good Luck to all

Hi PFM 1.Congrats on being accepted to school and thanks for the useful information.Which school are u attending now and what were yr scores?thanks.