Univ of Mississippi and Univ of S. Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, I am thinking at this point that the University of Mississippi is going to be my best chance at getting in somewhere. I am premed MS resident. I will start applying next year and everything. My Question is does anybody out there know about the quality of the UNiversity of Mississippi. I read that it only gets about 1000 apps a year(700 of which normally are gut because UM doesnt take out of stateers). I just kinda wanted to see what anybody knew about UMC.
Also, if you know about Univ of South Alabama I would appreciate any info on it as well. By info a mean, what are its strongest programs, national reputation etc.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you should include the UAB on your list. I interviewed there a few years ago. I liked the campus and the students seemed happy. Plus, the clinical opportunities are wonderful. They have a well rated heart tranplant center and offer tertiary level care for the entire state.

I'm originally from California so my visit was full of novelties. I had the best grits in Birmingham.

mr_sparkle

Thanks for the heads up. I will check at UAB some. I think that Mobile and Birmingham are the only places I could stand to live at in Alabama, (no offence to alabamians). But I am from just across the the alabama state line from Mobile and I know that place is ok. I also like Jackson, MS alright too. So any of those places should be cool.
I love grits too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
We meet again!

I can give you a little info about USA (I applied there too)...

As an out-of-state resident you will have a very hard time getting in unless you have a stellar MCAT (30+ MANDATORY)and very good gpa (~3.7). USA only takes a few (2-5) out-of-staters every year because they have such a small class size (65, I think) and hence, the reason behind the tough admissions process. I have met with the admissions director (Mark Scott) on several occassions (he comes to UWF pretty frequently to recruit...altough hardly anybody ever gets in). Now, depending on where you "technically" reside in Mississippi, you may qualify for in-state tuition...but you're still considered out-of-state during the application process. They also base their admittances on a ranking system. They have some sort of numerical system that gives weight based on GPA, MCAT, letters of recc, extracurriculars, and interview. Hence, if you are IN-state, have a 3.9, a 30+ MCAT, etc...you'll probably get an interview and maybe an acceptance. If you're out-of-state...they look at all the in-staters first, THEN rank you. It's a tough battle unless you have one heck of an application...and personally, if you're that good...you can get into a better school!

I don't have anything against USA (despite the above statements) but I just thought I'd warn you in advance. If you call the admissions office, they come across as if it's not that difficult...but if you talk to Mark Scott, he'll usually tell you the "real deal" It all comes down to class size.....

At least as of 1999, only legal residents of Mississippi will be accepted. If you are not already a resident, you should call to find out whether by being a student at Ole Miss you may qualify; don't assume it. Registration to vote and other criteria determine that. Many states do not permit undergraduates from other states to claim residency.

Latest (97-98) figures I have from MSAR:

Number In State Out of State Total

Applicants 309 296 605

Interviewed 208 0 208

New ENTRANTS* 100 0 0

*# ACCEPTED is almost certainly higher.

All took MCAT and had baccalaureate degrees.
All legal residents are asked to submit secondaries. Applicants who are not being invited to interview are notified beginning in January.
MCAT scores below 7 not viable.
Only 100 offers of acceptance are out at any
one time.

South Alabama

A maximum of 10% of the class can be classified as out-of-state. Competitive out-of-state candidates gernerally have special regional status.
All Alabama residents, less than 30% of out-of-state residents, are invited to submit secondaries. About half of in-state and a small number of highly qualified out-of-staters are asked to submit secondaries.
Class size is small: 65

1997-98 first year class

Number In-State Out-of-State Total
Applicants 493 748 1,241
Interviewed 225 12 237
New Entrants 58 7 65

All took MCAT and had bacclaureate degrees.

About 10 Early Decision students are accepted each year.

Thanks for the info, both of ya. Cobra, I am from Pascagoula, MS, and live about 2 miles from the Alabama state line. I actually live closer to mobile than Biloxi. I am in that area taht USA will consider. I understand what you mean though about them not really seeing us as in staters, even though they say they do. I just hope my app is good enough for them when the time comes...(I actually know a girl from my town who got into their med school, so it cant be impossible!)

In all seriousness FSU...if you don't pull a 30 on the MCAT, don't bother (27 for early admission). Their absolute cut-off for out-of-state MCAT's is 30...if you don't have it, you don't get in...period. (Although if you were to get a 29, I'd call and ask what they think...just be careful of the "oh, that's fine, send us the money" speech")

I'm not trying to dampen your spirit...just save you the $55 secondary fee (+AMCAS). I held on for MONTHS thinking I was going to get an interview (since the rest of my app was VERY strong and I was getting interviews at "better" schools) before I was informed of this little unwritten "rule". I finally had the pleasure of pulling my application away from THEM this month....

By all means, if you pull the 30 MCAT, APPLY...but I just thought I'd warn you since I've had such intimate dealings with the school.

PS...I only live 6 miles from Alabama myself...and I'm way closer to Mobile than I am to Tallahassee!
smile.gif

Cobra, point well taken...retract claws(j/k). I am sorry you had trouble with USA, I am not exactly crazy about the school myself(and I HATE Mobile, which is why I didn't accept USA's scholarship right out of High School) I totally understand where you are coming from and I will take you advice when it comes time to apply . Hopefully I will get a 30, but if not, I will look elsewhere. I feel like if can get my extra curriculars together and get at least a 27 MCAT, the University of Mississippii will be a safe bet(not a shoe-in, but safe). I dont think I am going to be one of those people that applies to 15 different schools. Besides, if I cant get into UM, then where can I get in...no offense to the U of M. They dont have low standard, just not much competition.

P.S. Congrats on getting into U.F. Cobra, I have friend down there in med school who loves it.

GO SEMINOLES!!