Univ of Missouri - Columbia, MO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabfive5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing for a position at the University of Missouri for Anesthesia (obviously). I wanted to know if anyone had any feelings on what it's like there. Specifically I would be doing mostly/all Peds.

Thank you in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I am interviewing for a position at the University of Missouri for Anesthesia (obviously). I wanted to know if anyone had any feelings on what it's like there. Specifically I would be doing mostly/all Peds.

Thank you in advance...

I don't know anything about it first hand, but I asked around a little since the pay is very good and I have serious loans to pay off.
The answer I got is that you could work there, but wouldn't want to, even though the pay is good. I tried to get more detail and my impression is that the negatives are an unstable department, accreditation issues for multiple departments... stuff like that. I guess if you are trying to build an academic career, it might not be a strong line on your resume. On the other hand, if you just want a job with good pay and good quality of life, it might be great.
Again, I just heard this from a couple of people. I'd be interested to hear what you think about it after your interview.

Thank you in advance...

Anybody train at Mizzou or know anybody who works/worked there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma does "pay well" relative to other academic facilities. However, what are most people's academic salary expectations? 250K, 300K, 350K?

Expectations depend on what you mean by "academic." What I've observed, is that the former "academic" positions, which included non-clinical time for "academic" pursuits, have been supplanted by essentially full, clinical practices with teaching obligations. The exception is if you have grant funding in hand, then you "get" academic time. This is just my observation. My "expectation" for an essentially full-time clinical workload in an academic center or otherwise, would be full-time anesthesia compensation, i.e. in the $350K+ range. Other opinions?