Univ. of MN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothfairy08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the U of MN Early Decision Program (formerly known as the Early Admissions Program)? How do they notify you of acceptance--email, phone, or letter? I've had my app in since January and they've been changing the deadline to later and later ever since... first decisions were going to be in April, then May, now June!?!?! Anyone have any experience with this program or have a clue how it works?

Thanks and good luck to all applying for 08!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Toothfairy, I don't think you'll find much info about U of MN on here. Either there aren't many of us using this site, or we're all keeping pretty quiet. I personally can't give you any info about the Early Decision Program, because I never applied for it, but if I were you I'd call the admissions office. Everyone in admissions is REALLY nice. Plus, it would be really beneficial for you if you could get and early decision, because then you could save yourself some serious moola when it comes to applying with AADSAS. Anyway, I know this wasn't that helpful, but I thought you'd at least appreciate a response.

Funny that LauraT would say that. I just registered for the forum today after a couple months of just reading posts. Anyways, I am going to the U of M as a D1 this August and I went the Early Decision route. I'm sure its a little different now because there is a different person running it, but I can tell you how it worked last year. Like you, I had my application in in January and did my preliminary interview to make sure I was eligible. Then, I got an e-mail at the end of March, telling me I was accepted into the program and a few days later I got an official letter with an interview date on it. Then, I interviewed with some other early decision students on a day in mid-July... (which I got the impression was kind of a formality). Basically, I think once you get to that point, as long as you maintain the GPA required for the program, take the classes you say you will, and don't get arrested or something, you're in. They send their official acceptances to the early admission students on December 1... or at least they have the past two years. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, ToofPull07! Your response helped out a lot! I wish that the EDP was as on-the-ball with acceptances as they were last year... March surely would've been nice. First they told us April, then May, now June!!! The waiting really is the hardest part. Are you an in-state student? Did you go to the U of M for undergrad? Would you mind sharing your stats at the time of your application to the EDP? From what I understand, its pretty competitive since they take so few people. Did it seem to you that the AdComm was looking for anything specific out of their EDP applicants? Good luck at the U this year--hope to see you there in '08! Thanks again for the response! :D

No problem. Well, to answer your questions, I am not a Minnesota resident... I'm a ND resident. I went to Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, though. At the time of my application for the program, I hadn't taken the DAT yet, but I had a 3.76 GPA and a projected Biology/Psychology major and chemistry minor. I also had about 30 hours (at the time) of clinical evaluation and quite a bit of extracurriculars. When I did take the DAT (2 weeks before my interview), I got: AA: 24 TS: 22 PA: 19.
I don't know if there was anything in particular that the AdComm was looking for. I tried to really sell my committment to the U since it was the only place I really wanted to go. I think the main purpose of the program is to snatch up good candidates early before they look elsewhere, cuz the school doesn't know what they'll get later. With your numbers, if you're a Minnesota or regional resident, I'm pretty sure you'll have what they're looking for.